Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 06:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times

Advertisements

Over the past 18 months or so, it feels like there has been an explosion of custom options. Even in the big brands and big stores.

Last year my local Nordstrom had Shoes of Prey stand, there was a custom converse section, custom t-shirts and even custom pillows.

New Balance and all the other sneaker brands have customization studios.

LL Bean lets you make a custom boat and tote in your own color palette.

Of course there are lots of shops and Etsy that let you customize to your hearts content.

This fall, Fossil, Kate Spade, Coach, Madewell, and Michael Kors offered ways to customize your bags with monograms or bag charms. And there are two new purse brands that offer custom bags too: Mon Purse and Pop and Suki.

One of my local jewelry stores hosted a popup with a local woman who would embellish your faves or sold embellished items she sourced herself.

Some articles on the trend:
http://www.racked.com/2016/12/29/140...measure-custom
http://www.racked.com/2016/6/1/11772...alization-pins

Have you noticed this "trend?" Have you gone custom? What did you get?

I got some shoes from Shoes of Prey during a promo at Nordstrom. I made a pair of color blocked flats with an interesting mix of textures. They turned out pretty cute, but while the construction was good, my choices may not have made the most durable choices. I have ordered custom underwear on Etsy. And I did make a custom boat and tote to use as a carry on in a few years ago in my favorite accent color - pink.

I am definitely intrigued by custom purses and it would be fun to jazz up a basic with custom details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,778 times
Everything used to be custom, that is clothes were made at home or by a dressmaker/tailor. The same with shoes, hats even bags.
Then along came the early 1900's and the advent of 'off the rack' clothing, the same outfit being made in many sizes what we now call mass marketing.

So it seems fashion is going full circle, consumers no longer want to wear what everyone else is wearing. Maybe home dressmaking/tailoring will take off again ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty