Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times

Advertisements

I don't really take People's opinion very seriously, it's always kinda funny. Who really cares at the end of the day?

But I do find her beautiful. I think because her beauty inside radiates out. She does come across to me as a nice, good person with integrity. I really hope she retains that as she transcends into stardom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 AM

57 posts, read 65,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why do people keep saying this? Short hair does not make a woman look like a man.

I imagine that even if she did grow out her hair, she'd keep it natural and not relax it or use extensions.
If she used a hair straightener or wore extensions, it would actually detract from her natural beauty. Part of the appeal is that she is 100% natural, with a little added makeup. 99.9% of the women in Hollywood have had plastic surgery and/or wear extensions, hair coloring, etc.

Lupita should remain natural because it speaks volumes about her inner essense.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:03 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa_456 View Post
If she used a hair straightener or wore extensions, it would actually detract from her natural beauty. Part of the appeal is that she is 100% natural, with a little added makeup. 99.9% of the women in Hollywood have had plastic surgery and/or wear extensions, hair coloring, etc.

Lupita should remain natural because it speaks volumes about her inner essense.

"Part of the appeal is that she is 100% natural, with a little added makeup. 99.9% of the women in Hollywood have had plastic surgery and/or wear extensions, hair coloring, etc."

I think she looks great the way she is, but if she chooses to mix it up a bit, more power to her.

Natural? Pretty subjective depending on the individual If it is Natural African hair styles, I always think of old pictures that show hair styles that are varied as any area of the globe. You can find: bald, straight, curly, and all sorts of crazy structural looking hair, that is far removed from anything many would consider natural.

Natural or not?
Attached Thumbnails
People magazine has declared Lupita Nyong'o as world's most beautiful person-natural-african-hair-style.jpg  

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-24-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
what a joke

Old 04-24-2014, 11:17 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Me either, unfortunately... it doesn't matter how beautiful a non-white man/woman is (and I think Lupita is gorgeous btw), there will ALWAYS be those bigots who claim it's just a "PC" or "post-racial" thing. What does that even mean?

As with any commercial or television show featuring gay or interracial couples, someone will always claim they're just a "token" to feed the PC masses. Why can't they just accept that minorities and gays EXIST in this world, and might actually show up in the media too? Sheesh, you'd think we would be past all of this nonsense by now.
When Gabourey Sidibe of Precious fame is on the cover we will all be past most of that nonsense. I would be fine with that, but don't see that happening anytime soon. There will always be some 'Social Standard of beauty' no matter where you go in the world.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
"you can’t rely on how you look to sustain you. What actually sustains us, what is fundamentally beautiful, is compassion--for yourself and for those around you. That kind of beauty inflames the heart and enchants the soul.”
lupita nyong'o
+100

Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Love her. Is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen? No, but she is beautiful and she is beautiful not just physically. She's talented, smart, and seems like she's just a kind and compassionate person. And I love that her beauty is outside the normal standard. Shame on those who said she needs bigger boobs or longer hair. She's perfect just the way she is. Those of you who like long hair and big boobs can go ogle Kim Kardashian. Ick.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:50 AM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why do people keep saying this? Short hair does not make a woman look like a man.

I imagine that even if she did grow out her hair, she'd keep it natural and not relax it or use extensions.
Buzzcut does indeed make her look like a boy

Old 04-24-2014, 12:04 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
The accusation is that People simply picked her to appear to be "post racial".
That might actually be the case. You never know. Just because it may sound unpleasant to some people doesn't mean it can't be true. Also, there seems to be a media fascination with Lupita at the moment because she recently won a major award. But a year from now, who's gonna be talking about her?

To say she's cute or pretty is understandable. But to say she's one of the "most beautiful" is simply politeness. Her face is too puffy.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am unemployed View Post
She is under extreme pressure to grow out her hair. Her natural buzzcut is interesting but makes her look like a man.
If you think she looks like a man, an optical examination may be in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty