Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times

Advertisements

I'm not seeing it, but I guess I'm not "most people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:44 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I'm not seeing it, but I guess I'm not "most people".
Whomever they chose, not everyone was going to "see it." Nobody's universally attractive.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:13 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
No such thing as most beautiful because there's just too many women to consider. Go to some of the islands. Dere's some fine women's round dem parts.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
These lists are as ridiculous as beauty pageants. The only think missing is women wearing bathing suits with high heels.

Why can people see the absurdity of these lists and stop getting questioning their picks? Like someone said no one is universally beautiful.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
She's a beauty alright! But pictures will never do her the justice that watching her pour her heart out in an interview with her eyes twinkling and her down-to-earth opinions will. Her youth gives her an advantage.

I agree about limited roles for darker women (of course I don't watch much TV) Hallie Berry was raised in an all-white environment (thank God she wasn't aborted). I hate when people say she acts too white. Tiger Woods has such cultural diversity in his family he objected when people continued to forget he has other ethnicity in his DNA besides black. And the president... would he be as popular as a black man if his white mama stood beside him every step of the campaign(s)?

I find all the emphasis on skin tone differences to be WAY too distracting from the important stuff.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

I agree about limited roles for darker women (of course I don't watch much TV) Hallie Berry was raised in an all-white environment (thank God she wasn't aborted). I hate when people say she acts too white. Tiger Woods has such cultural diversity in his family he objected when people continued to forget he has other ethnicity in his DNA besides black. And the president... would he be as popular as a black man if his white mama stood beside him every step of the campaign(s)?

I find all the emphasis on skin tone differences to be WAY too distracting from the important stuff.
Not that there is a who is blacker than who contest. But the people who "represent" black people in the mainstream are the ones with the least black heritage a lot of the time. But it is all part of the legacy of slavery here in the US where anyone who was 1/8 "black" was considered "black."

So the skin tone stuff is really important. It represented leaving the fields during silvery, with a potential opportunity for easier and less oppressive work. A faster path to freedom. Earlier access to education via HBCUs and a shorter path to middle class (or upper middle class) privilege. And now it translates into beauty standards, movie roles, singing careers, modeling contracts, video videos and even shorter sentences if you happen to be tried for a crime. Additionally it wasn't all that long ago when classified ads specified skin tones for jobs as well, particular the white collar ones.

So yeah this stuff is still perpetrated. I've heard "you're pretty for a dark girl" enough times to know it is still an issue. My parents did a pretty good job of shielding me from lots of that so I didn't realize tone was an issue until I was old enough to analyze it and understand the historical context.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
... I didn't realize tone was an issue until I was old enough to analyze it and understand the historical context.
I get it. But isn't it a shame that tone is an issue?

My son is fair with blue eyes but he's black. Go figure.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I get it. But isn't it a shame that tone is an issue?

My son is fair with blue eyes but he's black. Go figure.
It's an issue for Indians, Cambodians, Filipinos, Arabs, Koreans, Latinos of all shades.......colorism is global unfortunately.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,433 times
It's because People is more targeted to middle aged women so they don't put the actual most beautiful women, as that would be intimidating. I honestly cant imagine them ever choosing like a male fantasy woman like Kate Upton, Emily Ratajkowski or Brooklyn Decker and having them in a swimsuit on a cover. Something like the Maxim Top 100 would be closer to what more guys would think is the most beautiful woman although that list has really gone downhill recently (Miley Cyrus at #1 WTF)

Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
coolzombie: kate upton is stunning. you rarely see a slim waist with D cup chest size naturally (no implants). she was however lauded in sports illustrated as it's a different demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty