U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:03 PM

211 posts, read 284,022 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: I have the fashion sense of, well, let's just say I was in a comedy club in NYC about a month ago and the comedian heckled me for looking like I was trying to pull off an "urban duck dynasty" look (I'm from Alabama).

So first off a couple links:
People Article on Lupita being the most beautiful
A picture I like best of her

I didn't find her to be strikingly beautiful, personally, but I am accustomed to not being attracted to the biggest stars and sex symbols. But then I scrolled down into the comments and some of them were overtly racist, and there were plenty that I still found a bit troubling. The accusation is that People simply picked her to appear to be "post racial". I certainly wouldn't be surprised, but I wanted to post this on this board since y'all are much more clued in on beauty conventions than I am. What do you see in this girl? The picture I picked is grittier than her beauty shots as its from her movie, but I like that style. She typically has a very positive and warm look to - almost childlike. She reminds me a bit of Christina Ricci in her prime. She isn't the most attractive black woman that comes to my mind though:

Jessica Williams from the Daily Show

Yeah, I'm a sucker for woman that can either 1) make me laugh or 2) serenade me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:18 PM

3,032 posts, read 3,919,869 times
I think she is beautiful. I've read interviews of her where she talked about her insecurities and she just came across as very real.... like someone you'd want to be friends with when you're a woman so you can talk to each other about different pressures and expectations you may feel. While being physically beautiful with stunning and impressive eyes, she is also very intelligent having graduated from Yale and being fluent in four languages. She also seems to carry herself quite well. It just shows you there is a lot to being a beautiful woman and a lot of it comes down your level of grace and what you are like as a person.

Are there more beautiful women around Hollywood? Possibly, but not as many that are beautiful and seem as multi-facted and dynamic.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM

2,203 posts, read 2,984,376 times
Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. Seems silly to me to declare anyone, male or female, to be the "most beautiful/handsome" on earth.

Lupita IS beautiful....no doubt about it. Is she the MOST beautiful? You decide. Bet her agent is jumping for joy though!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM

240 posts, read 363,532 times
I think she is beautiful.

She has beautiful skin, facial bone structure, is stylish and seems to have a beautiful personality. I also appreciate the fact that she is a natural beauty. She has stayed true to her African heritage and yet still lights up every red carpet event. She does not conform to what is most people's idea of conventional beauty and I think that contributes to her appeal.

The racist comments do not surprise me at all.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
I think she is beautiful.

She has beautiful skin, facial bone structure, is stylish and seems to have a beautiful personality. I also appreciate the fact that she is a natural beauty. She has stayed true to her African heritage and yet still lights up every red carpet event. She does not conform to what is most people's idea of conventional beauty and I think that contributes to her appeal.

The racist comments do not surprise me at all.
Yeah, I do like that her skin doesn't look bleached. I don't really know how to say this but her skin just looks so rich and chocolatey .I was going to include pics of Minnie Riperton and Zoe Kravitz in my original post, but then I realized that I was posting light skinned women who typically receive a warmer welcome as pop stars.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM

43 posts, read 57,185 times
I find black women attractive but I can't stand the bald ones i see alot of bald black models gross get a weave or wig

Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,569,084 times
I am excited she was selected this year, and I know it was totally a PR move. But from my perspective (as someone with a skin tone in her neighborhood).

Looking at pop culture, for both mainstream and "black" magazines, far too often the only women featured look way more like Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Halle Berry etc. In a nutshell they conform to "white" standard of beauty but they are a tiny bit darker (and maybe be have 1-2 features that make them a little different). In the past decade or so, darker toned women have become completely invisible. Many "black actresses" are biracial or mixed (of course almost all African-Americans are technically mixed, but looks can very widely).

Additionally, darker black women aren't offered many types of roles in Hollywood. Typically single mom, grandma, maid, prostitute or black best friend. Not the romantic lead, the girl next door or the "hot chick." Additionally, for the darker women in particular, we are stereotyped as "ghetto,""poor," "inelegant," and a whole ton of other negative stereotypes.

Without drilling the topic too far, colorism is very real, and there is legacy of privilege associated with lighter skin tones in every aspect of life from beauty to access to education and prestigious institutions to criminal sentencing.

So Lupita's rapid rise to fame is important on many levels. A, she is being praised for her beauty, and she doesn't match up with "white standards." B, she is being praised for being educated, and has all of the trademarks of a privileged background which doesn't match up with the stereotype for black women, particular darker hued ones.

Lupita's pr team is #winning and I hope we see her in a wide variety of roles in the coming years.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM

jade, would you consider Jessica Williams from my OP to be light or dark skinned or neither?

I agree with everything in your post, but I think it is important to keep in mind that the media isn't necessarily trying to force people to see light skinned blacks as the "acceptable kind" of black person. The exploitative nature of the business makes them promote the most universally appealing looks to the highest positions. You can't fault individuals for simply not being attracted to a certain race or color. Also, I've had light skinned friends who were beat up throughout school by dark skinned kids. So in general, humans do a pretty good job of dividing themselves into groups and being mad about it regardless of who is on the cover of People.

I've always thought it was deplorable that little white girls in America go tan themselves to leather and little Indian girls bleach their skin. I don't think that white women face the same kind of issue though for being too fair skinned; there are still successful gingers and a white woman is more likely to be rejected for getting too dark than a black woman for getting too light. The underlying problem here IMO is the image of beauty that is sold to women: you have a problem and you had better fix it by buying our product.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,569,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
jade, would you consider Jessica Williams from my OP to be light or dark skinned or neither?
Jessica Williams is "medium."

Quote:
I agree with everything in your post, but I think it is important to keep in mind that the media isn't necessarily trying to force people to see light skinned blacks as the "acceptable kind" of black person. The exploitative nature of the business makes them promote the most universally appealing looks to the highest positions. You can't fault individuals for simply not being attracted to a certain race or color. Also, I've had light skinned friends who were beat up throughout school by dark skinned kids. So in general, humans do a pretty good job of dividing themselves into groups and being mad about it regardless of who is on the cover of People.
There is no, or limited "universal attractiveness." Beauty standards are taught, not inherent. Other than things like "symmetry" there is no singular definition of beauty. Beauty preferences are rooted in historical context and colonization in the US.

I'll use an example from an Chinese friend of mine. They tell me that the beautiful women in China are nothing like what we decide is beautiful here. Most of the people they call ugly. A similar pattern can be found all over the world. We rate darker skinned Indian women as "beautiful" and "exotic." At home they are ugly because they are too dark.

There discrimination for darker toned black people is structural in nature. There is a reason that "you are pretty for a 'light/bright/high yellow' woman" isn't a common phrase.

Most brands don't even have foundation colors for me, and there are plenty of people darker than I am walking around.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:18 PM

13,930 posts, read 14,254,778 times
She radiates natural beauty. Maybe it was a PR move on their part - I really don't know. But I find her at least as attractive as any of the other previous "most beautiful women" who may have had longer track records of fame. And she doesn't look like she's had a lot of hair or makeup done to get her to be that beautiful.

The racist comments are to be expected. There are a lot of defectives hanging out on the Internet because it frees them to say things they could never utter in public. This is where they come to let their uglies hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty