Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

I do not get tired of shaving on a daily basis.

If I had the opportunity to stop shaving and grow a beard joining like Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill of ZZTop, it would be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
At least it is socially acceptable for men to have stubble or beards - yet you're complaining about shaving less than a square foot of skin every day or two?

Women are expected to shave legs, feet, toes, armpits, and for more hirstute women, other parts of their bodies. Daily. Because apparently to neglect to do so is unsanitary and gross and disgusting. Also once we get to a Certain Age, we have to remove every evidence of extraneous facial hair as well.

Personally I think you men have it easy!

Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
Yes at times it is just exhausting because you have to prep the skin, clean it and then get it good and ready for shaving so the blades remove the hairs and not cut yourself. I have a hard time shaving around my chin. I used to cut myself all the time on my chin.

The poster above has a valid point and puts things into perspective, thank you chiroptera!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Have you ever tried using Coochy Cream? That stuff is amazing. Completely rash and bump free shaving for anywhere on the body.
The problem is that very curly beard hair cut below the surface of the skin begins curling under even before it grows out of the skin again. Other times, it leaves the surface but curls immediately downward and actually pierces the skin surface, growing back in again.

No cream is going to change how the hair grows. The only real and practical answer: Don't cut the hair below the skin surface. In other words, don't shave close. There is one brand of razor that has a blade guard that prevents the blade from resting directly on the skin surface--the Air Force prescribed it to me decades ago, and it's relatively effective.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
At least it is socially acceptable for men to have stubble or beards - yet you're complaining about shaving less than a square foot of skin every day or two?

Women are expected to shave legs, armpits, and for more hirstute women, other parts of their bodies. Daily. Because apparently to neglect to do so is unsanitary and gross and disgusting.
Mostly by other women, and for that matter, mostly by American women. American women should protest and "go Euro." Men may be shocked for a while, but eventually men will decide that women are still a great deal of fun, hairy or not.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
Thinking about growing a beard because when you start getting old your skin gets thinner and not so smooth anymore.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:11 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
I am 43 and ever since I can remember my dad has always been clean shaven. I remember back in the 70's seeing my dad shave every single.day diligently wheather he had to go to or not. I vuess I get that from him. I don't see shaving as such a chore. It only takes me a few minutes and I am done. I guess it becomes a habit just like brushing my teeth and brushing my hair.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:19 AM

290 posts, read 366,709 times
My face, yeah. Im lucky in that I only have to shave every 2-3 days (due to Nordic complexion, light facial hair, sparse growth).

The worst is when I shave and the blade is sharp enough to cut but dull enough to nick me and I wind up looking like a bloody pizza, like when I had festering zits as a kid. This is exacerbated by the fact that the Gillette 5 Blade Razors are very expensive in NYC unless I want to take the bus to the Brooklyn Target, where they cost the same as the national prices.

I can buy cheaper razors in my neighborhood at this store called Deals, even 5 blades, but they dull quickly.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
:Looking at my stubbly legs:

You have my full empathy, guys.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
:Looking at my stubbly legs:

You have my full empathy, guys.
LOL

I think that we all agree that shaving is a pain in the arse....I'd love to go au naturel and hairy but even I've been conditioned to regard leg and underarm hair (on women, ie myself) as unattractive. And then there's bikini waxing (OW) and eyebrow shaping and all of those tiresome routines

And now that I'm a Certain Age part of my morning routine is to check my chin in a magnifying mirror for rampant chin hairs so I can tweeze those suckers out before I face the world.

It's rather funny that we are encouraged to spend a lot of money and time on the hair on our heads, but go to great pains to pretend that we otherwise don't have body hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty