Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Can they?

I know they wouldn't be told to leave but can they go and get a haircut and highlights at a black beauty shop? There are several of them around where I live and I really need to get my hair done. But every time I look inside the window I never see a white girl so i don't walk in.

I know, might be a stupid question.

Thanks

There are other haircut places but I wouldn't mind trying something other than what Im used to.
I recommended one of my white girlfriends to go to a black salon her hair cut and colored. They did a much better job and charged way less than the white salon she regulary went to. She was very pleased with the way her hair turned out.

I used to work at an upscale black-owned and ran salon in downtown Chicago. We had white clients, including white women who came there to get hair extensions. When I lived in Atlanta, the salon I went to regularly had white and hispanic women coming there all the time for hair extensions.

I'm always suggesting white women go to black salons to get their hair done. They do a much better job. And no, they would not look at you crazy if you went into one for a cut and color. More and more white women are going to black salons for hair extensions. A cut and color would not be a big deal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (referenced post has been deleted).

Maybe the OP doesn't know if different ethnic people use different products or different chemicals.

OP I used to go to one back in the day. A friend that I worked with when we were cutting hair together at a salon opened up her own salon and she did a wonderful job on my hair every time.

Of course I have been to salons with all different ethnic people cutting hair and it was just fine.

The thing with doing hair is you either do a great job, a mediocre job, or a bad job. You just need to find that stylist who does a great job!

Good luck with your new haircut!!!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-29-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I personally think you'd be more than welcome but you have to realize you're PROBABLY going to be asking the beautician to work outside of her comfort zone. For example, a perm to her means to straighten. A perm to you means to curl.

I'd seriously walk in and say "can anyone do white hair here?" and you might get a "c'mon in girl I got products for you" but don't expect it. They specialize in a hair type that is different from yours. The product lines are completely different.

If you let them know in advance they could probably better accommodate you. I'm sure they had to work on all types to be licensed. They might welcome the opportunity to expand client base and prove they can do a great job on white hair. OR they may send you on your way with a laugh.

I think you'd be brave to walk in and inquire and I'd love to know how it turns out!!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:01 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,573 times
I've gone to stylists of all different ethnicities. My present hair stylist is from Brazil and I'm sticking with him because he knows how to cut my straight, fine hair. I probably wouldn't go to a black hair salon, at least not the ones in my neighborhood which are small store-front operations. I have fine, straight hair and I would assume that a salon geared towards black hair would not be a good fit.

My son used to always go to black-owned barbershops. He said white people don't know how to cut hair. I think he is going to an Italian barbershop now, though, because it's near his job in Manhattan.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
As a white woman with EXTREMELY curly hair, I would totally be open to going to a salon that specializes in "black" hair. However, I'm not looking to do anything dramatic with my hair that would require a stylist. I sure as heck don't want to straighten it, and I mostly use very gentle "all natural" products (including several designed for black or mixed-race women). Mostly I just cut it for myself in the bathroom and never set foot in a salon. The last time I did so, it was because I'd broken my arm! LOL

I don't see why it would be a problem to go to a traditionally black salon, but the end result might be highly dependent on the type of cut you want and the type of hair you have. I'd say hair salons are one of the last areas to be integrated, not because of racial tensions but because of specialization and experience. Odds are, you are going to be the best at the particular type of hair you work on the most. I have heard Asian women complain also about stylists who don't know how to deal with their hair type.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Hmm, OP, this is a legit and interesting question..

As a black woman, I have never, ever seen a white woman come to a beauty shop at which I'm being serviced.

I suppose they are able to do your hair, but I would do a lot of heavy research prior to making a final decision. I hate to say this but many of the salons that I go to are filled with several women waiting to have their hair done by 1-2 stylists, long wait lines, several interrupted (read: NONPROFESSIONAL) events which will inevitably prolong your appointment/experience, and that's the very least you may have to encounter. This has been my experience for the past 10-15 years.

However, for the past 2 years, I have had a new stylist: she works alone, sees clients by appointment only, is always prompt, and never answers her phone or engages in other activities while doing my hair. She is the epitomy of professionalism. Unfortunately, her wait times (for an appointment) are several weeks to a month in advance.

At the end of the day, you want to go to someone who will best service your hair and give you the style/cut/coloring that best fits you. This person may, indeed, be black. This person may be white. Or he/she may be something else. Do your research and ask around. Who knows? THe person that may do the best job may very well be someone you were initially uncertain of, from the get go.

Btw, OP, many of us have the same question, vice versa. So, I do understand what you're saying .

Good answer. I'm a white man, and my boys are bi-racial black/white, and with their hair, a black barber shop is their best option. I have fun there talking to everyone, but don't get my hair cut there. They'd probably do a good job on me if I wanted my hair cut very short with a fade. One of my white neighbors goes there for that reason, but just asks that they don't "line him up" lol!

There is obviously a big difference in black/white (for lack of a better term) hair, so I don't find it racist that we (black and white people) tend to have segregated hair salons/barbers. I took my boys to Supercuts once and they did a horrible job!

Plus, there seems to be a very cultural thing about the black barber shops/beauty salons. They even made movies about it! And to be honest, the black barber shop where I take my boys is a lot more fun, but yeah, they take forever!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Yes, have seen them, the barber shop 1&2 and also beauty shop. Good movies.

I really appreciate all the great answers. Thanks for not judging.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
I don't understand why so many things in this country have to be about race or color.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
When you go to cosmetology school, you learn how to work with all hair types. Most stylists should be able to do any hair, but as with all things in life, we have our comfort zones.

When learning how to take care of ethnic hair, I was much more comfortable with using the stoves, irons, and pressing combs than I was with the chemicals for relaxers. I think it was due to the unknown for me.

I had grown up getting perms and watching people get perms, color, etc but I had no personal experience with the relaxer chemicals and I was kind of afraid I may leave it on too long or whatever the case may have been.

Gold N Hot Ceramic Heater Stove

Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I don't understand why so many things in this country have to be about race or color.
This thread is not about race and color....it's about hair. This have already been explained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty