Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This thread is not about race and color....it's about hair. This have already been explained.
Well then there should not be no need to mention white girls going to black beauty salons, obviously color and race was a factor for this thread. But to answer your question , yes white girls go to black beauty salons, as a general rule people tend to stick with their own kind but that is mostly about attitudes and mentalities that exists in society. One way to find out is to go in and ask for a service, there is a posibility that they don't have a lot of experience with white women because they don't get many white women in their salon which is probably because of what I just mentioned about the attitudes and mentalities that exist in society. If they don't feel that they can help you they should tell you and then you can find another salon. This happens with just about any race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:47 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Your answer clearly shows you know exactly the point of my question or you wouldn't have answered the way you did just now.
But just to clear things up, it's not the fact that the beautician is black that had
me asking. Anyways, thanks for your answer :-)

Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
This thread is not about race and color....it's about hair. This have already been explained.
Uh, no, it isn't.

Check the thread title.

Hair doesn't get up and go to a salon on its own. It's taken there by the person on whose head it resides.

That said, I have a white head. For as long as I can remember, the hair that resides there has been cut by black stylists. No reason. I neither seek them out nor avoid them. It just works out that way.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Your answer clearly shows you know exactly the point of my question or you wouldn't have answered the way you did just now.
But just to clear things up, it's not the fact that the beautician is black that had
me asking. Anyways, thanks for your answer :-)
Ok no problem. If there was a misunderstanding between us then my most sincere aplogies. Perhaps it is my job that makes me see things the way they do. It is human nature to be skeptical of whatever is different. I see this all the time in many other things. But anyway perhaps if the question would have been more like; What percentage of white women go to black hair salons? Instead of; Do white girls ever go to a black beauty shop? then maybe there would have been a better understanding. Anyway I can contribute some more along they way since I work in the hair industry.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
I think this is a legit question.

I would step into the salons and speak with the stylists and ask them if they can style your hair the way you want.

The styling of black hair vs. white hair is very different so I wouldn't just assume they know how to do what you need.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Uh, no, it isn't.

Check the thread title.

Hair doesn't get up and go to a salon on its own. It's taken there by the person on whose head it resides.

That said, I have a white head. For as long as I can remember, the hair that resides there has been cut by black stylists. No reason. I neither seek them out nor avoid them. It just works out that way.
I know, I wrote the title. Obviously I worded it wrong.
Again, it's not the stylist race I care about. I have been cut by black stylists before..at places like super cut...
But I have never been to a traditional black beauty Salon.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Ok no problem. If there was a misunderstanding between us then my most sincere aplogies. Perhaps it is my job that makes me see things the way they do. It is human nature to be skeptical of whatever is different. I see this all the time in many other things. But anyway perhaps if the question would have been more like; What percentage of white women go to black hair salons? Instead of; Do white girls ever go to a black beauty shop? then maybe there would have been a better understanding. Anyway I can contribute some more along they way since I work in the hair industry.
Thanks!!I appreciate it :-)

Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Hair really is different, how it's cared for and how it can be styled is different. Things can be done to one kind of hair that can't be done to another kind of hair, at least not the same way.

That doesn't mean a white person can't go to a black salon or vice versa, but it does mean that the stylist needs to know the hair. The very best cuts I've ever gotten for my curly black hair has been from barbers in Asia, especially in the Philippines. They always seemed to have an uncanny ability to see exactly what my last cut looked like and return me to it without a word of direction from me. And I've gotten some excruciatingly bad cuts from black barbers.
+1. My current hairdresser is from Lebanon who I discovered entirely by accident. She is the best hairdresser I've ever had. I am half Indian (from India), and I have the extremely thick, dark hair that can be difficult to cut and style well. She is a whiz at making my hair look great and giving me low maintainence haircuts, since she knows that I'm too lazy to use all those hair machines and goos at home everyday I wouldn't rule out going to ANY hairdresser, however, finding a Middle Eastern hairdresser ended up being a very fortunate event both for my hair and fashion sense (what little there is).

Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 AM

I colored my own hair a couple of months ago. Not sure why but my hair was falling out afterwards. Not all of it obviously but quit a bit. this is the main reason I want it professionally done.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Can they?

I know they wouldn't be told to leave but can they go and get a haircut and highlights at a black beauty shop? There are several of them around where I live and I really need to get my hair done. But every time I look inside the window I never see a white girl so i don't walk in.

I know, might be a stupid question.

Thanks

There are other haircut places but I wouldn't mind trying something other than what Im used to.
Different hair textures require different techniques for cutting. Hairdressers have to be trained in cutting different hair textures. The chances that hairdressers at a black beauty shop would be trained to cut European hair (or Asian hair) would be slimmer than if one went to a shop that catered to customers with European hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty