Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

Can they?

I know they wouldn't be told to leave but can they go and get a haircut and highlights at a black beauty shop? There are several of them around where I live and I really need to get my hair done. But every time I look inside the window I never see a white girl so i don't walk in.

I know, might be a stupid question.

Thanks

There are other haircut places but I wouldn't mind trying something other than what Im used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 PM

532 posts, read 550,280 times
No, but this white guy gets his haircuts from a black woman.

She always does the best job I ever had and is very nice.

She's a blast and funny too.

I tip her well.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 PM

532 posts, read 550,280 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

It's mostly older white guys at my place. She gets a lot of Police, EMT and Military/ National Guard guys too, so she specializes in it and knows how to do it right.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-29-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 12:04 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
I wondered this at one time too. After all, a black person's hair is much different than a white person's. So obviously we would think that when a black person trains to cut hair they focus on learning how to cut and style black hair.

I asked a black person this (while apologizing over and over for anything that sounded racist) and he said that the stylists learn hair. All types, sizes, textures...white, black, chinese, mexican, young, old...doesnt matter. They learn it all. So they CAN cut your hair.

Question is how comfortable will each party be. Just think of it as a business deal and everything should be fine. Never know, you just might get the best haircut ever.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Can they?

I know they wouldn't be told to leave but can they go and get a haircut and highlights at a black beauty shop? There are several of them around where I live and I really need to get my hair done. But every time I look inside the window I never see a white girl so i don't walk in.

I know, might be a stupid question.

Thanks

There are other haircut places but I wouldn't mind trying something other than what Im used to.
Hmm, OP, this is a legit and interesting question..

As a black woman, I have never, ever seen a white woman come to a beauty shop at which I'm being serviced.

I suppose they are able to do your hair, but I would do a lot of heavy research prior to making a final decision. I hate to say this but many of the salons that I go to are filled with several women waiting to have their hair done by 1-2 stylists, long wait lines, several interrupted (read: NONPROFESSIONAL) events which will inevitably prolong your appointment/experience, and that's the very least you may have to encounter. This has been my experience for the past 10-15 years.

However, for the past 2 years, I have had a new stylist: she works alone, sees clients by appointment only, is always prompt, and never answers her phone or engages in other activities while doing my hair. She is the epitomy of professionalism. Unfortunately, her wait times (for an appointment) are several weeks to a month in advance.

At the end of the day, you want to go to someone who will best service your hair and give you the style/cut/coloring that best fits you. This person may, indeed, be black. This person may be white. Or he/she may be something else. Do your research and ask around. Who knows? THe person that may do the best job may very well be someone you were initially uncertain of, from the get go.

Btw, OP, many of us have the same question, vice versa. So, I do understand what you're saying .

Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 AM

14 posts, read 25,429 times
I don't know if it's the BEST place to go since the products used are probably a bit different. My black friends tend to use heavier creams and conditions that do not work well with my thin hair. I'm pretty sure hair dye is a universal thing. Honestly, if you want to try it..go for it If no one in the salon feels comfortable working with your hair type they will tell you. I understand why you would be nervous..my friends take their hair very seriously and don't like to be asked a bunch of questions by strangers.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoxJanexoxDoexox View Post
I don't know if it's the BEST place to go since the products used are probably a bit different. My black friends tend to use heavier creams and conditions that do not work well with my thin hair. I'm pretty sure hair dye is a universal thing. Honestly, if you want to try it..go for it If no one in the salon feels comfortable working with your hair type they will tell you. I understand why you would be nervous..my friends take their hair very seriously and don't like to be asked a bunch of questions by strangers.
Thanks!

I think I will try it.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Hair really is different, how it's cared for and how it can be styled is different. Things can be done to one kind of hair that can't be done to another kind of hair, at least not the same way.

That doesn't mean a white person can't go to a black salon or vice versa, but it does mean that the stylist needs to know the hair. The very best cuts I've ever gotten for my curly black hair has been from barbers in Asia, especially in the Philippines. They always seemed to have an uncanny ability to see exactly what my last cut looked like and return me to it without a word of direction from me. And I've gotten some excruciatingly bad cuts from black barbers.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-29-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Hmm, OP, this is a legit and interesting question..

As a black woman, I have never, ever seen a white woman come to a beauty shop at which I'm being serviced.

I suppose they are able to do your hair, but I would do a lot of heavy research prior to making a final decision. I hate to say this but many of the salons that I go to are filled with several women waiting to have their hair done by 1-2 stylists, long wait lines, several interrupted (read: NONPROFESSIONAL) events which will inevitably prolong your appointment/experience, and that's the very least you may have to encounter. This has been my experience for the past 10-15 years.

However, for the past 2 years, I have had a new stylist: she works alone, sees clients by appointment only, is always prompt, and never answers her phone or engages in other activities while doing my hair. She is the epitomy of professionalism. Unfortunately, her wait times (for an appointment) are several weeks to a month in advance.

At the end of the day, you want to go to someone who will best service your hair and give you the style/cut/coloring that best fits you. This person may, indeed, be black. This person may be white. Or he/she may be something else. Do your research and ask around. Who knows? THe person that may do the best job may very well be someone you were initially uncertain of, from the get go.

Btw, OP, many of us have the same question, vice versa. So, I do understand what you're saying .

Thanks, great answer :-)

I have always wondered about this one and I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I typically look for a stylist who herself has very wavy/curly hair, because stylists with straight hair seem to have no idea how to approach my head. I'd say the same is probably very true of ethnic-centric salons. There are several salons near me that specialize in African American hair - only black women in the images in the window, black stylists, black or mixed clientele, and advertisements for braiding, twistouts, and relaxers.

I would no more go to that salon than a salon where they give even a second's pause when I ask about experience with curly hair. While THEORETICALLY all stylists should cut and style all types of hair, that's not necessarily the case. My black friends with natural hair wouldn't be very likely to go to my salon either. It has more to do with the type of hair growing out of your head than the race, just some races and ethnicities tend to have certain hair traits.

That all said, one of my good friends is white with course, kinky curly hair. She only goes to one of the local black salons because she raves up and down that the salon she goes to now is the only one in her entire 30 years that she's never had a bad cut in because they know what to do when faced with her huge, wonderful mop of curls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty