Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:38 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

I'm 40-ish and dress somewhat the same as I always have. I find I care more about comfort and appropriateness, especially of shoes, than I do about what it looks like. When I was in my 20's and in my first professional job, I had a lot of trouble finding clothes that were work appropriate and also "young" enough. I don't feel like that now. That probably means I'm less stylish, but I "feel" better, so whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:39 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
Probably less it's easier when you're young, thin and firm everything looks good. Now it requires more effort and I hate to shop so I'm neat but not too stylish.
I agree.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 AM

675 posts, read 644,926 times
I dress more stylishly, but that isn't saying much. I really had no dress code when I grew up, so I never really figured out which clothes and colors worked together. Plus, I was always getting clothing gifts for birthday, Xmas, etc. Not much incentive to learn on my own.

In the past 5 years, I have started lifting weights a bit in order to shed weight. I am 50 pounds overweight, but somehow I am more stylish nowadays, even as I dress for ultimate comfort while lifting. So, I have lots of basketball shorts and other mesh shorts, and college tees or mesh tees.

I'm 30 but seem to dress like a 20 year old during these times. If I am with my parents, always slacks and a polo or button up tee. Otherwise, even at 38, I get nagged on my appearance.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:10 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Well, guess it depends on what one considers "stylish." I like my own unique personal style, not whatever is trendy. I am an "old school" Latina, and always like to look good wherever I go, so you will never see me looking like a slob. I don't wear heels (foot/back issues) but always wear dressy sandals. I prefer dresses/sun dresses in the summer rather than shorts (I live in Florida) and nice capris and pretty top or sweater in the fall/winter. All of my clothes are comfortable but fit well, flatter my figure and are pretty. To me it is just as easy to dress this way as to wear sweat pants and the like. I am 64, try to take good care of myself and will continue to do this as I age.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
The opposite of what?

To me age shouldn't factor in less or more stylish. One can be stylish in casual attire, if this is what was first implied by less stylish.
As we age, if we let ourselves go - aka ignore our appearance - we will look even older. Why anybody would do that?
That is what I meant. I am somewhat the opposite of what a lot of people do. As I get older I pay more attention to what I wear and how it fits. I won't dress poorly just for comfort, I buy things that I believe look good on me and usually when something looks good on me it also feels comfortable so that has never really been an issue.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:18 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,148 times
I always had to wear scrubs to work, so now I don't have to waste money on them anymore. I'm not a real casual person...usually wear dressy casual and stick mainly to the classics. However, little added pieces each season make the classics look right in style.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:52 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
More!

I don't have to worry about things like school fees and child care anymore, so all my $ is mine and I am spending it on my wardrobe.

It doesn't mean I actually AM fashionable (sometimes I get it right) but I am trying.

Clothes and fashion are a great joy to me. They don't need to be expensive either. Online shopping is my friend, people are ALWAYS saying "where did you get that?".

The older you get the more bling you can get away with. This is my life philosophy so I am busy buying all the costume jewellery my tiny hard heart desires and draping it over myself with abandon.

I subscribe to the "grow old disgracefully" mantra.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I now live in a very casual part of the country. Half the people I see everywhere around me look as if they're taking a break from washing the car. So I'm constantly reminded to make an effort. I might have on the same Capri pants and shirt that I would normally wear around the house, but I wouldn't think about leaving the house without putting on some make-up, fixing my hair as nicely as possible, adding some accessories, and changing my house clogs for some decent shoes. I carry a nice (although not expensive) handbag and keep my car (also nothing fancy) looking as good as possible, too. I'm not trying to impress people. I just think it's a matter of self-respect.

If I were still back East and working in an office, I don't imagine age would discourage me from dressing the same way I always dressed for professional purposes. I was raised by parents who both took care with their appearance and thought being in public required a certain standard of appropriateness. So I know I tend to reflect their attitude.

I also believe that looking sharp promotes people to act better, too. As a person who has battled drug resistant clinical depression my entire adult life, one of the mottoes I have learned to live by is "act as if." Even if I feel terrible, I don't have to let the world know. And I have found that often times our behavior models our feelings. By pretending to feel better than I do, I often then do feel a bit better.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I now live in a very casual part of the country. Half the people I see everywhere around me look as if they're taking a break from washing the car. So I'm constantly reminded to make an effort. I might have on the same Capri pants and shirt that I would normally wear around the house, but I wouldn't think about leaving the house without putting on some make-up, fixing my hair as nicely as possible, adding some accessories, and changing my house clogs for some decent shoes. I carry a nice (although not expensive) handbag and keep my car (also nothing fancy) looking as good as possible, too. I'm not trying to impress people. I just think it's a matter of self-respect.

If I were still back East and working in an office, I don't imagine age would discourage me from dressing the same way I always dressed for professional purposes. I was raised by parents who both took care with their appearance and thought being in public required a certain standard of appropriateness. So I know I tend to reflect their attitude.

I also believe that looking sharp promotes people to act better, too. As a person who has battled drug resistant clinical depression my entire adult life, one of the mottoes I have learned to live by is "act as if." Even if I feel terrible, I don't have to let the world know. And I have found that often times our behavior models our feelings. By pretending to feel better than I do, I often then do feel a bit better.
Exactly right ^^^^!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:42 AM

686 posts, read 1,231,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
As you age, do you find yourself dressing more or less stylishly? Well?
I don't think its an age thing as it is more of a mindset thing. Sure, a lot of people as the get older get lazier when it comes to what they wear. But most people I know and see carry that style well into their older years.

Don't confuse "stylish" fashion with "current trend" fashion as they are two totally separate things. You are not going to see many 50 year old women wearing the current fashion trend of the 18-30 year old crowd, but they will still be fashionable if they want to.

Its a midset and lazy thing really if you feel you need to "dumb down your style" as you get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty