Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times

Advertisements

Yep, it's always so nice when people make assumptions about you without knowing you and/or without your ever having said one word to them!

I've had the opposite for pretty much my whole life. Because I was "pretty" a lot of people just assumed I was a ditzy fluffy-haired big-boobed bimbo, and a lot of people treated me that way. The older I got, the less tolerant I became of the assumption/treatment and I started calling people out on it (when they made comments or treated me in a condescending way). I probably SHOULD try to get a bitchy resting face!!!

I learned to use the bimbo thing to my advantage. In my professional capacity I am 100% more prepared than my opponent. I've found it's usually a male, and generally an older male, who will not be prepared because he assumed that I would not be prepared because I'm a bimbo. Of course, as I get older, I'm probably becoming less "bimbo-like" because, well ... I'm OLDER!!! Now it's probably more like "She's attractive for an older broad, but she sure is bitchy and angry!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 04:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I also have few face lines/wrinkles for my age, probably due to my lack of overly-animated expression.
Yeah, people usually think I'm about younger then I am. I credit this to my "b*tch face" not giving me any lines. Not sure if its a good trade off though... I get to look younger longer, but then I constantly have to deal with people telling me to smile or cheer up (which after awhile does make my real b*tch face come out).

Old 05-06-2014, 04:13 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
If you have this problem of coming off as unfriendly, I would say it is a win. I don't smile much and may look upset with people for no reason. It's just me. it's also hard for me to smile when I'm not feeling it, and I've made jokes instead of apologizing because the offended person did not appreciate my sense of humor. Yeah, maybe I have a few issues in this department. Perhaps I should work on being "nice," but what's the point? It's just the way you look and not the same as being sincere or genuine or kind. Society is stupid sometimes.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
A worse version of this problem has plagued me my whole life. My default face is "angry", and it's hard for me to "fake smile" for the sake of being polite. I'm also kind of a stout black dude ... it makes dealing with new people very difficult.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 PM

191 posts, read 220,763 times
The video is a joke, but I have the same thing. I certainly wouldn't call it a deformation. I have a downturned mouth, when I was younger it looked pouty, but I think it makes me look more angry or depressed now. (The years wear you down I guess).

Old 05-06-2014, 06:29 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post

ORIGINAL VIDEO - Bitchy Resting Face - YouTube

Anyone else suffer from this? I thought I was the only one until I read about others who spoke of similar experiences. The video sounds like a joke, but this is a true deformation (whatever the term may be). It actually took this video to explain to me why most people would say such mean things to me right away.

Just about anywhere I went when I was growing up, someone would comment on how I need to smile more or how I look like I can kill someone, and I haven't even said one word or I'm just minding my own business. NO joke. These days as an adult, I probably would kill them if I hear one more person say that to me again.

This happened more when I was younger (under 25), but I still have issues in the professional world due to my un-intentional mean looks. For example, when I was working at a retail store, minding my own business and having the happiest thoughts, a customer came up to me and said, "If you don't like your job, then find something else!" I had no idea where that came from. I even said hello to her beforehand. When I first met my husband, all his friends and family told him how unfriendly I looked and how could he stand being with someone that unfriendly? He wanted me to be outgoing and friendly like how when we were together.

I always feel like people seem to dislike/misjudge me right away too. And when I talk, even though I'm feeling/thinking something totally different (positive), people would get the wrong impression of me right away.

I hate it. It's funny, but I have also heard of those people who look super friendly and people approach them all the time. I am the opposite of that and sometimes wish that was me. My neutral face would either be sad or mad. I could smile, but I would always have to remind myself to put on a smile, and that is hard for me. It's like telling someone to pretend to cry with tears all the time.

Even worse is that this deformation is made fun of and is not taken seriously. If someone had a different deformation, it would be wrong to make fun of that person, but not bit*ching resting face. (Yes, I know you're probably laughing.)
This video is hilarious! But seriously, my last roommate had that. I always thought she had an attitude, (and sometimes she did!), but maybe now I'm starting to think that she just has this issue.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
There's a news guy out here that has a happy smiling look all the time. It's just his expression.... but when he first came on the air, he was reporting on a murdered child, and it looked as if he were really happy about a dead kid. They took him off those reports until people got used to his face.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post

ORIGINAL VIDEO - Bitchy Resting Face - YouTube

Anyone else suffer from this? I thought I was the only one until I read about others who spoke of similar experiences. The video sounds like a joke, but this is a true deformation (whatever the term may be). It actually took this video to explain to me why most people would say such mean things to me right away.

Just about anywhere I went when I was growing up, someone would comment on how I need to smile more or how I look like I can kill someone, and I haven't even said one word or I'm just minding my own business. NO joke. These days as an adult, I probably would kill them if I hear one more person say that to me again.

This happened more when I was younger (under 25), but I still have issues in the professional world due to my un-intentional mean looks. For example, when I was working at a retail store, minding my own business and having the happiest thoughts, a customer came up to me and said, "If you don't like your job, then find something else!" I had no idea where that came from. I even said hello to her beforehand. When I first met my husband, all his friends and family told him how unfriendly I looked and how could he stand being with someone that unfriendly? He wanted me to be outgoing and friendly like how when we were together.

I always feel like people seem to dislike/misjudge me right away too. And when I talk, even though I'm feeling/thinking something totally different (positive), people would get the wrong impression of me right away.

I hate it. It's funny, but I have also heard of those people who look super friendly and people approach them all the time. I am the opposite of that and sometimes wish that was me. My neutral face would either be sad or mad. I could smile, but I would always have to remind myself to put on a smile, and that is hard for me. It's like telling someone to pretend to cry with tears all the time.

Even worse is that this deformation is made fun of and is not taken seriously. If someone had a different deformation, it would be wrong to make fun of that person, but not bit*ching resting face. (Yes, I know you're probably laughing.)
She looks cute and makes me smile .

In place of this, men are always questioned when they stare for no reason. Mom always yelled at me " what the hell are you hiding from me today" in high school when I literally did nothing. It took her a while to understand that I will never hide anything from her and was very open in discussing my problems. I am still mummy's sweet little pumpkin, for all I know .

Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Wouldnt this fair better in maybe the Psychology forum?
yes!
Agree with poster above, this video is a joke. It's more hilarious that people think it's real (shaking head). And then there is even resting ass**** face for the boys...some people will believe anything.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
When i look at pics from the 1800's nobody is smiling.

I wonder if this"everyone is supposed to smile crap" is a modern concept.

Celebrities are not exempt from this either.
Poor Kristen Stewart. I always hear people saying she needs to smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty