Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

I am Swedish, 100%, but I am born with a darker complexion. Im the only one in my family which is kind of odd. In the summer my skin gets darker and if I spend all day in the sun I burn. The burned skin starts to shed, especially on my face, and my face looks spotty with dark spots. Actually, it looks more dirty.
What can I do here? I want to be able to walk outside without my face looking like I aged 10 years a few days later.
I always have had a problem with dark spots and they become a real problem in the summer months. Is there any creams that prevents this? Anything?

This is not me. I found it on google images but this is kind of what im dealing with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Are you using sun screen? What about wearing a hat also to block some of the sunlight? Have you seen a dermatologist?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
That looks like melisma. It's a combination of hormones and sun. Go to the doctor, there's a prescription for that. And use sunscreen religiously.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:52 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Have you gone to see a dermatologist? they can prescribe you a retinoid, which will fade the spots as well as do other wonders for your skin assuming it's not too sensitive, and hydroquinone, which will fade the sun spots too. You could also try a product with glycolic acid.

Sun protection is a must, but sunscreen has to be applied every 2-3 hours to be effective; it wears off after that time. I've gone beyond depending on sunscreen because of that, and typically use an umbrella during the daylight hours. You can also wear a hat. this may be going way beyond for some but you could also get a UV tint for the car windows.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Have you gone to see a dermatologist? they can prescribe you a retinoid, which will fade the spots as well as do other wonders for your skin assuming it's not too sensitive, and hydroquinone, which will fade the sun spots too. You could also try a product with glycolic acid.

Sun protection is a must, but sunscreen has to be applied every 2-3 hours to be effective; it wears off after that time. I've gone beyond depending on sunscreen because of that, and typically use an umbrella during the daylight hours. You can also wear a hat. this may be going way beyond for some but you could also get a UV tint for the car windows.
This is great advice, and pretty much what my dermatologist put me on. (Retinoid, hydroquinine) She also added a vitamin c serum to get rid of dark spots.

Hydro quinine and vitamin c serum can be bought over the counter, and so can weaker retinoids.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I'd also recommend these pads:http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/o...7C-%7C222FIZ0T

These have really helped me with my dark spots!

I have also been using the following in combo with my sunscreen:
Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam Wash Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam Wash : Boots Retail USA, Inc

Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Thanks to all of you! I will see if a dermatologist is covered under my insurance for sure and make an appointment asap. Also, I never used sunscreen in my face other than going to the beach. Never thought I needed it sense Im not pale. Im going to start wearing it everyday in the summer now. Thanks!

Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd also recommend these pads:http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/o...7C-%7C222FIZ0T

These have really helped me with my dark spots!

I have also been using the following in combo with my sunscreen:
Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam Wash Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam Wash : Boots Retail USA, Inc
Cool. The Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam, do you use it every time you wash your face?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Cool. The Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam, do you use it every time you wash your face?
Almost. It is gentle but I have some philosophy cleanser I have been trying out too. I don't find it too drying at all. I used the previous formulation daily for a few years with no issues, and this one feels a little gentler than the old one. If I am feeling really dry, I do an oil cleanse or just use rose water/orange blossom water.

I am not pale and I wear sunscreen daily. I have been since about age 18, I figure I might as well give myself extra wrinkle protection.

I needed a dark spot routine because for me any blemish will leave a mark. Acne, heat rash and even plucking stray hairs.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Have you heard of Paula's choice? I use her line of skincare; she has really good products such as OTC retinol serums, antioxidants, glycolic acid, and sunscreens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty