Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:03 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Numerous studies have shown that people are looked up to more and taken more seriously when they wear formal attire. This goes for both men and women.

Dressing formally makes a huge impression in job interviews, client meetings, dates, promotions and other situations. It can make it or break it for people in many instances.

In workplaces, people are more productive and there are less reports of sexual harrassment when they wear formal attire. Even in school, children are better behaved and perform better academically when they wear school uniforms.

So, the question is - Shouldn't people dress up much more often if they are perceived to be more powerful and have a higher status by do so? Who wouldn't want this advantage most of the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 03:30 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
I would think that its because they wish to be comfortable. Plus who wants to be outdoors working for the street dept or building houses in a suit? Plus if i see a guy in a suit i dont automatically think "authority figure". Someone in a suit tells me to do something im like "umm and who are you exactly?"

Last edited by pythonis; 05-22-2014 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 04:43 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Yeah let's all wear suits to the beach, lol.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Yea, the guys wearing suits selling cell phones at a kiosk in the mall, renting me my care at Enterprise, and selling socks at Macy's just look so authoritative and important.

And you are incorrect regarding school uniforms and workplace productivity.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I Plus who wants to be outdoors working for the street dept or building houses in a suit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Do you really think the OP was suggesting that?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:15 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,876 times
1. They're expensive

2. They're uncomfortable

3. They require a lot of maintenance

4. They're too hot in the summer.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
There probably is no advantage in wearing a suit to a beach.

However, suppose you're going out to dine at a restaurant. What do you think would likely make a better impression on the people serving your table - wearing a suit and tie, or a wearing a t-shirt and shorts?

If being formally dressed gets you superior service and attention, then that makes for a better dining experience, right? Based on your appearance and perceived socioeconomic status, the waiting staff may think you will likely tip them more as well.

The same goes for other situations - such as in hotels, airports, schools, stores, etc.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Who cares what your server thinks?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Numerous studies have shown that people are looked up to more and taken more seriously when they wear formal attire. This goes for both men and women.

Dressing formally makes a huge impression in job interviews, client meetings, dates, promotions and other situations. It can make it or break it for people in many instances.

In workplaces, people are more productive and there are less reports of sexual harrassment when they wear formal attire. Even in school, children are better behaved and perform better academically when they wear school uniforms.

So, the question is - Shouldn't people dress up much more often if they are perceived to be more powerful and have a higher status by do so? Who wouldn't want this advantage most of the time?
Formal, like this???

http://simplymarvelous.files.wordpre...-gentlemen.jpg

Makes sense. I would totally look up to these working stiffs any day, cuz they formal!

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/itcomm/learn...419-154969.jpg

Another formal working stiff on his way to the job-site. He digs ditches for a living, and let me tell you ... people sho do look up to him, cuz he looks formal and authoritative. Aint no sexual harassment going on here - no sir! He is probably THE most productive employee at the ditch digging company - definitely WAY more productive than his co-workers who are just a bunch of slackers - wearing jeans and tee shirts on the job!!! Anyhoo .... he certainly made a huge impression on me, and I perceive him to be really super powerful!!!

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/itcomm/learn...419-154969.jpg

Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There probably is no advantage in wearing a suit to a beach.

However, suppose you're going out to dine at a restaurant. What do you think would likely make a better impression on the people serving your table - wearing a suit and tie, or a wearing a t-shirt and shorts?

If being formally dressed gets you superior service and attention, then that makes for a better dining experience, right? Based on your appearance and perceived socioeconomic status, the waiting staff may think you will likely tip them more as well.

The same goes for other situations - such as in hotels, airports, schools, stores, etc.
I don't know about that, Big City Dreamer. Better keep on dreamin'!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty