Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:56 AM

250 posts, read 399,839 times

Advertisements

If you think TV and movies are going to convince the masses to want to sleep with black girls, fat girls or bald girls, you've lost your damn mind. What you would see is the death of the media, or at least the birth of an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
No. For the vast majority of men, it would be that whatever type of woman was promoted as the most attractive by the big-money media machine would be the most attractive, period. If they promoted black women, black women would be seen as the most attractive by most men. If they promoted fat women, it'd be fat women. If they promoted women with shaved heads, it'd be women with shaved heads.

For proof of this, all you have to do is what I did - research what type of women men in other cultures (specifically cultures without American/"Western" influence) view as being the most attractive. Generally, when propaganda is left out of it, men will seek out a woman whose physical body makes it appear that she is capable of doing the things he wants/needs his woman to do. I recall one study wherein it was concluded that in societies with Western influence, men's ideal waist to hip ratio on a woman is 0.7:1. And, in societies without Western influence, it is 1:1.

So yeah, if Hollywood and the fashion industry suddenly started promoting, for example, dark-skinned black women, very quickly the spam e-mails I get about "mail-order Russian brides" would change to "mail-order African brides". People are fickle like that - they're so easily brainwashed and programmed by the media machine.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddlay View Post
Yes this is after the UCSB tragedy that happened after the guy got angry of white girls rejecting him and went on a rampage. Now since White girls are always promoted as the most attractive, guys (of all races) want them.

If they were not promoted as the most attractive, would they still be the most desired?
No reason to think so. There is nothing inherently more desirable about white women than any other group of women.

The only reason we can even ask this question is because we live in the US, which has a white majority. Visit any country in Latin America, where the majority of people are of mixed European, Indigenous, or African origin. There, the socially constructed nature of whiteness as ideal is much easier to see.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:38 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
I do not think so. The media plays a huge role in what is defined as beautiful.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
Whose to say that it's not the other way around?

Maybe they are viewed as the most beautiful BECAUSE they are the most desired?

It's a bit of the chicken-egg dilemma, eh?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
No reason to think so. There is nothing inherently more desirable about white women than any other group of women.

The only reason we can even ask this question is because we live in the US, which has a white majority. Visit any country in Latin America, where the majority of people are of mixed European, Indigenous, or African origin. There, the socially constructed nature of whiteness as ideal is much easier to see.
Notice, though, that even in Mexico, for instance the telenovas, feature women with whiter, European features much more than women that look like Eva Mendez even though the whiter-looking Mexicans seem to make up a much lower percentage than the darker-colored, indigenous-looking Mexicans.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Notice, though, that even in Mexico, for instance the telenovas, feature women with whiter, European features much more than women that look like Eva Mendez even though the whiter-looking Mexicans seem to make up a much lower percentage than the darker-colored, indigenous-looking Mexicans.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

In Mexico, it is pretty clear to nearly everyone that the male preference for European-looking women is learned, not "natural."

Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM

31,013 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Hmmm, I'm white, but I have long thought that other ethnicities are much more beautiful. For example, I think Indian women, with their dark hair and eyes, and their smooth dark skin, look much prettier than my pasty white caucasian skin, that lets every spider vein and blotchy spot show up a mile away. In general, I think any skin with more coloring than white is prettier and smoother looking.
Sounds like you have some self hatred going on. Not a whole lot different than NYAnna's old posts, just light vs. dark. I'm sure your skin is fine.

That being said, in my opinion there are some very fair and darker women out there who have fantastic skin. Nicole Kidman looks to have fantastic looking skin and shes close to 50. Lupita Nyong'o, who was mentioned earlier, is fairly dark and also has great skin.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,423 times
Just wanted to point out; Of the last 12 Miss Universe winners, 7 were Latin American, 1 was from Japan and 1 from Africa.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:03 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
No. Personally, I don't think white women are the most beautiful overall. I guess it's all a matter of opinion anyway.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not think so. The media plays a huge role in what is defined as beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
Just wanted to point out; Of the last 12 Miss Universe winners, 7 were Latin American, 1 was from Japan and 1 from Africa.
Just looking at the link about Miss Universe winners - most of the winners had the Western European
facial features (early exceptions were from Japan, the Philippines, Thailand, Trinidad).

Miss Universe Winners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty