Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Black women always scream self hate or racism when reality is acknowledged, which is pretty sad in itself.

And no, i've never claimed to have struggles due to my race. I'm simply i'm in a very homogenous environment. Perhaps if I did tell you the location, you'd see differently. But I have no reason to.

And apparently you all do care what society thinks or you wouldn't have derailed this thread. I guess it sucks to be a black woman and having to acknowledge that white women are the pinnacle of beauty. Denial is only way of for y'all. Best of luck to y'all
I think you're a white woman.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:55 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
I think you're a white woman.
Nope

But I think it's safe to say you're an overly defensive black woman. Notice only black women getting defensive over this topic (and ironically defending themselves)? And the guys with yellow fever as well.

You guys seem to have issues you need to get over.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not only that, but white characters do get to have a range of archetypes. Cheerleader, goth girl, preppy, girl next door, bubbly, nerdy, over achiever, student council president.....

Other ethnicities are limited into playing a very small list of roles. For black women it is either sassy, funny friend or something akin to a King model, or hood rat. Not particularly positive or wide reaching.

Being a little personal here, over the years I have met many people that were a bit "surprised" by my personality. But if they have bought into stereotypes, then someone like me (aka a black woman wit a bubbly personality) doesn't exist or I get my other favorite comment -- acting white. As if it is not possible for black women to come in a variety of temperaments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Spoiler
Joy74, steelers, moon and stars, calipoppy and jade all killed it in this thread. All of them said nothing but truth. One thing I want to add is that the FACT that white women are promoted as the standard of beauty does not mean that they ARE the most beautiful group of women. Any man or woman that believes that is clueless. Every race has their groups of most attractive, averages, and unattractives. White women are no different. The images that we see paraded in the media that feature tan white women with pretty eyes, plush lips, athletic slim bodies, bubble butts, long pretty hair and feminine European features, do not represent the majority of white women. While there are plenty of attractive white women, there are just as many that are average or unattractive. The same goes for black women, Asian, Hispanic, etc.

The difference I suppose is that the media and society often pumps up the idea that MOST white women look like the images we see in the media, while doing the complete opposite for instance with black women. We are led to believe that the black women in the media are only attractive because they look white but that the average black woman is not attractive. And as I said this is exactly opposite of the way in which society sees white women, there is an underlining belief that white women on average look as beautiful as the white women often promoted in the media, and that there are only small groups of white women that are unattractive(honey boo boo is often used as an example). When the reality is that most white women when compared to other races of women of the same caliber-apples to apples-are not any more beautiful or exceptional looking than their racial counterparts.

It's so ingrained in society to associate white women with an image of Upton, or fox, etc that most minority men seeking white women are seeking the ones that have that look. In fact there have been numerous threads started by these men where they complained about specific white women rejecting them and whenever they described these white women they almost always sounded as though they were describing a woman who's attractiveness was to the caliber of upton or megan fox.

It wasn't as if these men were interested in all white women, just certain ones. Ones that look similar to the images being promoted to them. Ones that don't look like "averages".

On the other hand people will often say that it's impossible for a black woman like beyonce to be fully black because she is attractive or they will say she has white features and that's why she's attractive or they will say that most black women don't look like her. It's almost always a negative tone. It's those differences that I find very amusing. The assumption "that black women in the media do not represent the beauty of black women because the ones in the media are only attractive because they look white but full black women don't look that way and thus only most black women aren't attractive and the ones that are look white". It's funny logic, but really speaks to what has been sold to the masses about beauty. In reality it's subjective and race really should not have bearing, but unfortunately that is not the case. Certain images are being sold as beautiful and women that don't meet those images are casted, women that do are placed on a pedestal. Hence the reason why white women, and really only certain ones, are often coveted.

That being said I see plenty of attractive white women in my workplace. They are often always tan, with silky hair, good bodies, etc and they know they are pretty and men treat them accordingly. Whether they admit it or not they are aware that they are desirable to a lot of men. The ones that are more average looking or that are unattractive still might be looked at in a positive manner compared to black women for instance--solely might I add based on the fact that they are white--by minority men and even some white men but overall they have different experiences then the very attractive white women. Overall white women have a great advantage in the dating world, even those that are not very attractive. Women on the opposite end of the spectrum where the media has basically called most unattractive but a few "white looking ones" fare different circumstances.

Some people want to believe otherwise but it's truth. If white women were not the dominant image of beauty in the media things would be different. Yes white men would probably still prefer them overall(just like most black men prefer black women) but they would not get as hyped up as they are
I probably won't make but this 1 post. But I have to say I agree with these 2 posts.

I agree. I'm black, and one reason I no longer speak to me white "ex" friend, is she bought into too many black stereotypes, and came off as being racist and ignorant. And after being friends for 7 years, you'd think her mind wouldn't be so closed. She states her family is racist, but they can tolerate some black people, and I am one of them because I don't look black-as if that's supposed to be good.

And as someone stated, Faith as well. Black women who get attention are the ones with the lighter skin.

The problem even goes over into animated things.

Take this character. Yoruichi
http://www.absolute3d.net/fond-ecran...1/Yoruichi.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HBp34lRBCV...Yoruichi+3.png
Some people consider her black, or mixed with black. But as soon as someone says that, people jump onto the bandwagon, and make every argument in the book about why the character can't be black, or have black in her.

Same can be said for this character as well.
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6080...8&pid=15.1&P=0

And the show made her skin lighter at that. The man that did the book series showed her in color, and she's quite a bit darker.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9f4b2401.jpg

Neither of these characters' ethnicity have been stated. it is all up to fans. They can be whatever you want them to. But only will being called black get people to jump in and say otherwise. These characters are considered to be sexy, but many people who know and watch the show don't consider either of them black.

But the more unattractive, disliked, stereotyped, or comedic characters are pronounced black with no problem.

So, it seems for attractiveness African/Black is not coveted as much, and any other ethnicity is better in terms of media. But dark skin, or more full features, which are considered/stereotyped as black isn't what's in.

I think someone brought it up with white-washing in history. Cleopatra is portrayed as white, with no questions asked- because it's unbelievable Caesar would fall for a black woman, as someone jokingly stated.

Egyptian paintings depict her as being a darker woman of color.
http://johnstone6.wikispaces.com/fil...atra_pic_2.jpg
http://theloveforhistory.files.wordp.../cleopatra.gif
She may be mixed with something, because her father is known, but it's questioned if she and her sister had the same mother, but her sister and sister's mother had African ancestory.

So, white is generally seen as being the top look, and ultimate beauty. Even some Asians I believe who do skin bleaching, or wearing the face paint on their faces to make them white.

Last edited by HappyRain; 08-08-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-08-2014, 10:10 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
So, white is generally seen as being the top look, and ultimate beauty. Even some Asians I believe who do skin bleaching, or wearing the face paint on their faces to make them white.
Skin whitening creams are big business in certain parts of Asia, but it is usually in cultures where lighter skin was historically viewed as better. India is one such country, and lighter skinned people throughout history there were generally associated with being higher caste.

So while modern marketing or whatnot may play some role it is laid on top of a much older trend in that culture itself.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:17 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
In that case, maybe black women wear weaves for convience and variety (contrary to what you and some whites like to argue/claim).

btw -- white women wear weaves as well.
A lot of them do WEAR extensions. However, it isn't talked about as openly or really dissected the way it is for black women. First because when a white woman wears extensions the ones she wears are almost always closest to her texture and her hair color. So it looks like her hair, and it's almost always to add length. Unless you were really feeling in her hair, it would be hard to tell that she was wearing extensions. Kim K for instance and her sisters all wear weaves/extensions, the women of Jersey Shore(the MTV show) wore extensions, etc. Again it isn't talked about because 99% of the time the hair extensions mimic their hair so effectively that you can't tell. However, the average white woman has probably wore extensions once in her life--most however do not wear them as often as black women. But white women do enhance their beauty in different ways--often dying their hair platinum blonde, fake tanners, etc. It isn't as if they are more "natural"--they just look to enhance their beauty in different ways(via hair color, tanning, etc).

There's a girl here that has platinum blonde white hair, and deep orange skin. She's attractive, but do you think for a moment that is her real hair color? Nope. She is natural brunette. IS she really that tan? Nope, she's actually pale--however with tanning several times a week and dying her hair, she creates that look. The same can be said for black women--they wear weaves to create a "look". In both groups the overall attempt is to be more attractive or get close to what the media projects as "beautiful". It's never IMO about trying to be black or white, or anything like that. It always isn't self-hate. It's really just trying to be beautiful and achieving it in ways that aren't necessarily natural(tanning beds, hair chemical colors, hair weaves, implants, etc).

Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Has anyone realized that the OP posted one post and has never come back? I guess whoever it was sure does like to start controversy.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Has anyone realized that the OP posted one post and has never come back? I guess whoever it was sure does like to start controversy.
Or, it was a starter for their partner in crime to chime in.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:00 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
White women aren't number 1 in my book, neither is AA or Asian. Seems like these only rank highest because they are plentiful.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:34 PM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
Exactly.

As much as some like to think otherwise, there's no big conspiracy going on. Businesses want to make money, so they promote what gets them the most attention, and sells. Most people are white, so they want to see pretty white girls.
People forget too just because people are black (or nonwhite) they might find white people more attractive. Look at Hispanic Television. The people watching it are mostly dark but the people they use are white and European. I like who when a white person says "black is beautiful" or they date outside of there race, no one questions it. If a dark person finds being white better looking or wants to date a white person, it's shameful.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:37 PM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Technically the term "white" or "black" is now a matter of self-identification. You can decide if you are white or black or other.

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, English, Scottish, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.

For ethnic Latinos 47.9% identify as "White" and 42.2% identify as "Some other race".

Nearly all scientists consider "race" a social definition and not based on any meaningful biological facts. The concepts of a "white, black, yellow, red, and brown" race were formally written in books in the 18th century and were based on the very limited science at the time. They were heavily mixed with the social structure then existing which was trying to justify both slavery and the mass slaughter of indigenous people.

At the risk of being obvious, Lupita Nyong'o is one of the most frequently photographed exemplar of beauty in the USA today.
I think the media has an agenda with Lupita. If you asked someone in Middle America about Lupita, they would call her ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty