Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.

Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.

Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?

I will, I look every day of my 62 years of age, and more!
I think everyone ages differently depending on how they are genetically predisposed. The sixties are when things really start getting saggy. At 62, some people can still look quite young, but they are beginning to get the jowl thing. Other people may look older at 62. Also, it depends on if they wrinkle. My mother and grandmother didn't wrinkle much, but all the muscles in their faces got droopy. I don't go for this 60 is the new 40 thing. That's baloney. I am surprised how young I still feel though in my sixties (I'm 64.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 09:47 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.

Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.

Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?

I will, I look every day of my 62 years of age, and more!
People see what they want. It's like babies. Some are cute and some are just butt ugly. You always hear "oh, he/she is sooo cute!" You never hear "OMG, what happened to his/her face? That's one ugly kid!"

Old 06-07-2014, 09:51 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
My doctor says that my energy level and insides are conducive to that of a young chap in the teens, but people who see me tell that I look like I am in my upper 30's. I do moderate weightlifting (90-135 lb) 4 days a week and hike during the weekends in summer. I am also 100 % vegetarian, and refuse to consume alcohol or soft drinks. I only wish that I looked like a 16 year old .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-07-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 10:28 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
The people who insist they look younger than their years (but really don't) are the ones who view a photograph of themselves and insist it look nothing like them. It's called denial.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I'll be thrilled to look as good as you at 50. You really do look awesome!
Thank you.. I just went through Menopause and must say it wasn't that bad, the hot flashes have since left and I do believe eating healthy and staying actively fit made the journey a lot more livable and kept me sane.. I feel great, yes I still feel 20's something inside even in my energy levels, even tho an older woman it standing in my mirror ...

Old 06-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Dingdingding ^^^ another winner from ShinyHappyLucy! I could not agree more. Like Wildcard here, I live a healthy lifestyle (although a few years ago I was backsliding and developed some health issues) But today I eat well, have tons of energy, exercise every day, drink LOTS of water, use minimal makeup and put nothing harsh on my skin. Also, I have learned to reduce my stress and let things go, stress is very aging to the body.

I think it's hard to say what any age "looks like" because who or what is setting the standard to compare to? Some people look awful at relatively young ages, while others like bodybuilder Ernestine Shepherd (age 77!) look phenomenal.

Bottom line, what is important is that one looks good for whatever age they are. That usually means they look healthy and vibrant, and yes probably younger as a result of those factors. My doctor told me I look "very vibrant with good color and skin tone, and my age is very difficult to guess". His words.
Agree! It's a mind set...

Old 06-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I find this to be true too. I'm 40 and I don't think I look that far off from it. I find that most younger people think that I should have wrinkles and short, graying hair that I color (the "mid-life" woman cut) and I don't, so I'll get the "wow, you look so young" because they have no idea what 40 looks like.
I have pics of both sets of grandparents in their 40's and I must say they look be in their at 60' .In fact all their pics going back into the younger years, same deal they look older then they was. Same with my own parents years books, all their classmates look later 20's - 30's ... Times have changed..

Old 06-07-2014, 01:25 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
I don't think some people are bragging about looking young for their age though. I'm not. I look like 18-19 instead of 27 and people that age try and compare me to them (like when I go out) not realising that I'm that much older and it's very annoying because those twerps are so immature whereas I am not. I also get asked for ID all the time (drinking legal age here is 18). When I started my new job last August people were asking questions like "is this your first job"? thinking I'd just rolled out of high school or was still there. They were shocked when I said actually I graduated from my uni degree FOUR years ago and was about 5 years older than them. So it's actually pretty annoying thanks.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:35 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
I don't think some people are bragging about looking young for their age though. I'm not. I look like 18-19 instead of 27 and people that age try and compare me to them (like when I go out) not realising that I'm that much older and it's very annoying because those twerps are so immature whereas I am not. I also get asked for ID all the time (drinking legal age here is 18). When I started my new job last August people were asking questions like "is this your first job"? thinking I'd just rolled out of high school or was still there. They were shocked when I said actually I graduated from my uni degree FOUR years ago and was about 5 years older than them. So it's actually pretty annoying thanks.
LOL, I found it really annoying up until about 27-28, especially when I was around 19-20 and getting mistaken for 13-14. After about 27 I started feeling more 'sensitive' about approaching 30, I started taking it as a compliment and now I feel flattered and happy when people think I'm much younger than my age.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:15 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
i have a photo of me at 21 and i look exactly the same as the photo i have when i was 48.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty