Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:46 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times

Advertisements

There are people who can look much younger than their true age and that may be how it was for them for a long time, but then one day they look in the mirror and they notice some crepeiness to their eyes, maybe a little feathering around that area, too, then a bit of the marionette lines around the mouth, which weren't there just a few weeks ago. When it happens, it happens fast and in a very short time age sets in - it may start with little signs but it won't stop and it'll pick up speed. I have seen people that just a few months ago look young without any signs of age despite their true age, then upon running into them again I am shocked because they look so different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 04:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
What's wrong with aging? Unless you are Cher or Madonna, you really dont have much choice. Seems like a quick source of depression to worry about something that is unavoidable.

I tired of chasing my gray roots, and just let my hair go gray. I recieve more compliments now about my hair than I ever did, even when I was young.

Its a honor to age. Its a miracle to even be born nowadays, never mind lasting long enough to wonder how much you do or dont look your age. Im proud of my grays. My hairdresser says I would look 20 years younger if I colored my hair, but since I enjoy having hair that feels like real hair again, Im not doing it.

When I did go gray the world changed for me. I need silver hardware on my clothes now, and silver colored jewelry. Ive learned wearing black only hardens your appearance, and accentuates fine lines and wrinkles on your face. Pinkish and coral makeup to add warmth to my relatively pale skintone.

The bane of my existance now is those cute freckles I had as a kid are getting huge and appear randomly on my face. Im thinking of getting those lasered as I recently learned from my dermatologist that it is now affordable for me, whereas when it was new, it would have been an out of the question expense. I have some on my right hand too. I am probably over-dramatizing this, but I feel I have the complexion of someone 20 years older, lol.

I found people treat me differently with gray hair. I dont deal with men hitting on me as much as they used to, which being married a long time is a welcome change. Young people are more courteous and respectful. There is really no downside to the gray I can think of.

Its nice to feel pretty comfortable in my own skin for once in my life.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:44 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I don't know how old people think I look but no one can believe that my 21 yo old son and 19 yo daughter are mine. They always think we are siblings.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:52 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times
People just look younger these days probably because the human race is living longer, so 30 is really the new 20. I'm not even talking about looks either because most 30 year olds still act like they're in their early 20's. Just google pictures from the other decades like the 1940's and the women in their 20's look like they're in their 30's or 40's.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:01 AM

377 posts, read 670,390 times
I'm 37. I get carded sometimes but not as much as I did a few years back. So I guess I look older than I did then but I guess I must still look kinda young. I think I look good for my age (because I am athletic, the same size I was in high school despite having 2 kids, take care of myself etc. unlike half the women I know my age) so maybe that translates into looking younger too. Idk... whatever. I don't care as long as I don't look OLDER than my age. That would be unacceptable lol.

But I know what you mean about being annoyed at all the people who proclaim how young they look despite NOT looking younger. My friends is 45 and always talks about how young she looks. I look at her like wtf are you thinking? She smokes, drinks, and does NOT in any way look younger than 45. I would never say that to her but I certainly am thinking it!!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
People just look younger these days probably because the human race is living longer, so 30 is really the new 20. I'm not even talking about looks either because most 30 year olds still act like they're in their early 20's. Just google pictures from the other decades like the 1940's and the women in their 20's look like they're in their 30's or 40's.
working on a farm, and breeding 15 kids will age a woman,

we all have to keep our age....frame of references- when we were in our teens,,,our grandparents or neighbors in their 50.s were OLD,,,they looked old,,,,

so now we may be 50 and swear we don't look that old..

keep in mind going back 30-40 years ago people that were 50
had been thru wars and smoked for 30 years
and probably did not work in an office

you look at the 40 yr olds in the early 1900's they look 60 because of such laborious jobs

Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
I think a lot of people today have no concept of what ages are supposed to look like. Some people think you are supposed to look like an old hag by the time you are 40... if you actually take care of yourself at that age, you automatically look 25 to a lot of people..

Old 02-28-2015, 11:35 AM

63 posts, read 81,080 times
I find many blue collar working class folks look just terrible even though they are only in their 30s. Must be the lifestyle.

I have to laugh at all the people who say they look young who have responded so far. No you don't, you just think you do, no one else agrees! LOL!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:55 AM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
People that actually look young for their age don't need to play guessing games: they already know they look young for their age, because others regularly tell them.
This sums it up.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:14 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.

Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.

Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?

I will, I look every day of my 62 years of age, and more!
So true! It's hard to keep nodding and smiling and agreeing when someone who you thought was 35 turns out to be 25 and then says they look young for their age. I am 48 and I'm pretty sure I look it. I DID look young for my age well into my 30's, (was one of those people who got carded even for things like movies, right up to my mid-20's, and got asked for a hall pass when I got my first teaching job), but it's caught up with me. When people tell me I look young for my age, I just assume that they are flattering me and not being honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty