Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:41 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times

Advertisements

OP, I hear that all the time! I just smile and agree with them. Why be difficult?

In a larger context, some people are fearful about growing old because a lot of their self esteem is tied into how they think they look, and some spend a lot of money on plastic surgery to hold back time.

It only annoys me when I start getting a bunch of comments from them about things I "should" be doing, such as dyeing my hair or using this or that skin product.

I shower regularly and wear age-appropriate clothing in flattering colors. That's as good as it gets for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.

Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.

Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?

I will, I look every day of my 62 years of age, and more!
I find that people in their 20's are shocked that I'm 50, but I think that's because they think 50 means little hunch-backed gray haired lady with orthopedic shoes. I look good for 50, but if you know what a good fifty looks like, then I'm it. But you know, 50 is the new 30.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.

Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.

Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?

Because when people find out how old you are every single last person says "I can't believe it! You look at least 10 years younger!"

When everyone says it, you start to believe it. No one is ever rude enough to say "Jeez you look TERRIBLE! What the hell happened?"

Old 05-30-2014, 06:04 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Because when people find out how old you are every single last person says "I can't believe it! You look at least 10 years younger!"

When everyone says it, you start to believe it. No one is ever rude enough to say "Jeez you look TERRIBLE! What the hell happened?"
Omg, you're so right! . Can you imagine someone saying, oh no, I thought you were at least 10 years OLDER than that!

/end thread/

Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
I am a 21 year old guy but look like I am 38. I was often asked if I was married with children while traveling on the train. NOT A GOOD SIGN . Thank lord Shiva I made the choice to live single, cuz women in their teens hate old men.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 05-30-2014 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 06:47 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Well, I am 64, and I get comments like "never in a million years would I think you are in your 60s!" Also, both of my doctors tell me what fantastic shape I am in, and that my age would be very difficult to guess if someone doesn't know.

OP, I feel sorry for you. And by the way, if people think they look young or good for their age - well GOOD FOR THEM! It is good to feel good about oneself. You should try it some time.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:

Most are delusional as not so many middle aged people look and feel like they are 30. I am 56, know it and don't hide it. Why try? Time doesn't wait for nobody.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
The best way to gauge how old you look is to look at yourself in a picture. Not the mirror, in a picture. I am often taken aback asking myself is that how I look to others?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:00 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
I look younger for my age (39) because I dye my hair, dress somewhat younger, never tanned, never smoked, never drink, and I have used retin a for 20 years.

So if you compare me to someone who has abused their bodies, I do look younger. But probably 5-7 years and not the 10 years that people say.

I also smile a lot and I am very bubbly. I also have a round shaped face. This helps me look younger. ( like Drew Barrymore)

Give me ten more years and age will catch up with me though. The fifties and sixties + are the most aging in my opinion, compared to the thirties and forties.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Does anyone (other than under-age trying to get served) want to look OLDER?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty