Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:01 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,637 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine sent me a picture of her in a bikini , to show me how the bikini looks. In the picture she was standing in front of her mirror. And the picture was taken off of her iPhone. She looked great but in person she looks much different. A bit on the thicker side. On the picture though she looked slim. I've also noticed that when I've taken pics off my iPhone while posing in the mirror I look a lot slimmer than how I FEEL I actually look irl. Now my perception about weight and how people actually look with their clothes off or on might be very off. My friend in the bikini might actually look much smaller then what I perceived. And maybe I'm smaller than what I think, but still I've noticed that in certain mirrors and in certain lights I look much different than I do in other mirrors/lightening. I notice that sometimes In some fitting room mirrors I look slim, in others I look bigger, etc. In other words there are clear differences in my body size based upon the lighting, camera, and mirror. Which means I look different all the time. Lol. Still I've noticed that on the iPhone pics I tend to look a lot slimmer then I do in any other mirror or camera. And based on the pic my friend sent me she looked slimmer as well. Again this might just be my flawed perception and maybe we look exactly right on the iPhone but just curious if anyone else notices differences in how they look in different mirrors, cameras, or phones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:12 AM

I want to add that my friend is not big at all. But in person her body to me had looked slightly thicker than what she had looked like in the pic. But it could also be based on the clothing she wears and the angle the pic was taken at.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:41 AM

823 posts, read 1,125,109 times
Makes me think of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine had to walk outside with the dress she was trying on because she felt the mirror in the store was a "skinny" mirror.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I am convinced there is a Seinfeld episode for every occasion!

Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
A friend of mine sent me a picture of her in a bikini , to show me how the bikini looks. In the picture she was standing in front of her mirror. And the picture was taken off of her iPhone. She looked great but in person she looks much different. A bit on the thicker side. On the picture though she looked slim. I've also noticed that when I've taken pics off my iPhone while posing in the mirror I look a lot slimmer than how I FEEL I actually look irl. Now my perception about weight and how people actually look with their clothes off or on might be very off. My friend in the bikini might actually look much smaller then what I perceived. And maybe I'm smaller than what I think, but still I've noticed that in certain mirrors and in certain lights I look much different than I do in other mirrors/lightening. I notice that sometimes In some fitting room mirrors I look slim, in others I look bigger, etc. In other words there are clear differences in my body size based upon the lighting, camera, and mirror. Which means I look different all the time. Lol. Still I've noticed that on the iPhone pics I tend to look a lot slimmer then I do in any other mirror or camera. And based on the pic my friend sent me she looked slimmer as well. Again this might just be my flawed perception and maybe we look exactly right on the iPhone but just curious if anyone else notices differences in how they look in different mirrors, cameras, or phones?
There a lot truth here.. Try this have someone take your pic but leave your head / face out, it amazing , you'll view yourself in a whole other light... You realize, hey I look pretty good...

Old 05-31-2014, 12:16 PM

369 posts, read 392,621 times
I don't take good pictures or look good on film/surveillance cameras.

Not too worry, IRL is much better anyways.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 PM

Something else I have noticed is I always look fine in a mirror, yet snap a pic and look like crap.

Guys is my "position" don't normally have lots of photographs and pictures of themselves taken.

That has to be the only explanation...

Si vis pacem para bellum.....

Old 05-31-2014, 01:05 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Yes, I look very different in some photos and mirrors than others. The angle at which you hold the camera/phone makes a huge difference - you can 'stretch' yourself out to look thinner and taller, or the opposite, squat and wide. Mirrors in stores that stand at an angle will also make you look taller and thinner.
Also, keep in mind for some women simply the time of the month will make a huge difference in real life - I easily gain up to 7-10 lbs in water weight every month during PMS, and I feel AWFUL and huge during those weeks. I literally go up a size, not just in stomach but all over. I avoid taking pictures and looking in full-length mirrors for that matter, during that time because it depresses me.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Yes, I look very different in some photos and mirrors than others. The angle at which you hold the camera/phone makes a huge difference - you can 'stretch' yourself out to look thinner and taller, or the opposite, squat and wide. Mirrors in stores that stand at an angle will also make you look taller and thinner.
Also, keep in mind for some women simply the time of the month will make a huge difference in real life - I easily gain up to 7-10 lbs in water weight every month during PMS, and I feel AWFUL and huge during those weeks. I literally go up a size, not just in stomach but all over. I avoid taking pictures and looking in full-length mirrors for that matter, during that time because it depresses me.
Good point. I notice that I also gain during pms, in addition to right after weight training i look bigger. In some mirrors i notice physical flaws that arent there in other mirrors. Like I will notice that my body looks a bit unflattering in certain mirrors, but in most mirrors i look toned and great. it can often make me paranoid about how i really look.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:03 PM

My body always seems to stay the same.

It's my face and how it looks is what changes so much.

Sometimes I look much paler than I really am.

It also looks fatter and more rounded than what I really am.

Sometimes my cheeks look huge.

That's what I notice most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty