Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 PM

136 posts, read 210,894 times

Advertisements

My daughter is graduating from high school this week and the girls were asked to wear white dresses. She wants to use a self tanner on her legs to hide rashes that appeared recently. I know these rashes are eczema because I had them when I was in school and they would appear during exam time. She has not used any steroid cream so far (I have not had a chance to take her to the doctor yet). Will the self tanner make her legs look better or worse? I hope someone knows for sure what will happen. Don't know what she bought but she says it's a good product - I trust her because she really spends a lot of time researching beauty products that she asks me to buy that are pricey. She told me that it's applied the evening before, takes 8 hours to work and is washed off so it does not rub off on the dress. Please tell me if this will make her rashes look worse so I can avoid a meltdown on graduation day. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Why doesn't she just get some nylons that are more opaque? The thing with self-tanners is that it needs a smooth surface to be applied to or else it will be darker in the drier parts (patchy skin). Be careful with steroid creams, maybe she can find a good moisturizer since she is knowledgeable about products - those steroid creams should really be a last resort. Don't get me wrong, they are quite effective and they work fast, but over time the side effects aren't worth it. It is supposed to be a temporary remedy - did you ever find out what triggers yours? Sounds stress-related.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I think self tanner and eczema are a risky combination...I have scars and spots on my legs and they take the tanner in strange ways. Any dry patches or scaly patches will get a lot darker or more orange than the surrounding skin.

Self tanner is not a good thing to use for the first time before a major event. Even with skin in good condition, you end up with streaks and patches and missed spots until you're really good at putting it on.

Leg makeup, like Sally Hansen Airbrushed Legs spray or Leg Magic by Covermark, might be a better option because she can practice with it first and totally wash it off if it's not what she wants. If she makes a mess with the self tanner, she'll be stuck waiting a week for it to fade and look like normal skin again...not a good idea since graduation is this week.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:13 PM

She is worried about leg makeup rubbing off on her white dress and white robe. Today she was moisturizing the dry patches on her leg. She told me that tomorrow morning she will exfoliate then moisturize all of the areas she plans to use the tanner on and that I need to help her apply it- the product comes with a glove to use as an applicator. Today she watched you tube videos and learned about how to apply the product on elbows and knees. She has told me that applying it sparingly is actually bad because the risk of streaking is greater. I think I need to watch a video before I help her.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoColts View Post
She is worried about leg makeup rubbing off on her white dress and white robe. Today she was moisturizing the dry patches on her leg. She told me that tomorrow morning she will exfoliate then moisturize all of the areas she plans to use the tanner on and that I need to help her apply it- the product comes with a glove to use as an applicator. Today she watched you tube videos and learned about how to apply the product on elbows and knees. She has told me that applying it sparingly is actually bad because the risk of streaking is greater. I think I need to watch a video before I help her.
In my experience, self tanners can also rub off on light colored clothing. For me, self tanners have never looked good on my legs no matter how carefully I tried to apply. Ankles, feet, toes, knees.....it just never looks natural.

If she really feels that awkward about how her legs look, an air-brush tan at a salon would look better. Or as someone else suggested, pantyhose. I know they are "out of style" (I have never understood why, because I think they look far classier than a fake tan.)

Good luck to your daughter whatever she chooses. I too have skin issues (psoriasis, varicose veins), and have never been comfortable showing my bare legs.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 PM

We are getting ready to try this now. I am nervous and told her she should just skip it. She is so pale for a kid living in Florida because she always uses her sunscreen. Someone told her that if it looks bad tomorrow morning all she has to do is jump into a chlorinated pool and she can just scrub it all off? Would that really work?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:24 PM

No, it changes the color of the outer layer of skin, the dead skin cells, so it doesn't go away until those cells naturally rub off. Scrubbing with an exfoliating scrub can help take some of it off, but it won't help problems like darker knees because the skin layers are thicker there.

You can buy self-tanner remover, but it only works for an hour after you've applied the self-tanner, and the tan doesn't develop fast enough for you to see oopsies within an hour. It's more for getting the tanner off your hands so you don't end up with orange palms.

Kayanne had a good idea about an air-brush tan at a salon.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:36 PM

I wanted her to get an airbrushed tan but she did not want me to have to pay for one since I paid for a new dress and shoes (and recently paid for prom dress and shoes). Well she decided she did not need my help and put it on herself. One layer on arms, shoulders and bacK and three layers on her legs. Left it on overnight.

Guess what? It turned out perfect!!!!! Color was very natural and subtle and even. The large rash on her right calf barely noticeable. During the 3 hour graduation ceremony she said she was hot and sweaty but it did not rub off on her white gown or white dress. Since we live in FL and our new car was super hot from sitting in the sun she thought for sure it would rub off on the car seat but it did not!!! The product she used was tater Brazilians self-tanner.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:40 PM

I'm so glad it worked!!!

Old 06-07-2014, 08:39 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Sounds like all her research paid off. And how sweet that she didn't want you to spend any more money on her. Refreshing change from all the "entitled" kids we read about here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty