Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 PM

389 posts, read 692,163 times

Advertisements

is short skirts being considered acceptable to wear in business situations and the like.

Is it just me, or have the standards changed? It seems cleavage is still a no-no, but I have noticed more and more respectable women wearing skirts far above their knees. I recently attended an academic residency and was surprised to see a lot of the female faculty (PhDs) wearing short skirts and dresses, but always with a modest neckline.

Btw, no value judgment here at all, just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I have noticed the same thing. I am a woman in my 30s and wouldn't wear a short skirt (as in many inches above my knee) to work but I see it more and more. It is exactly as you describe- women are still keeping the cleavage in check but skirts and dresses are getting much shorter. I find that younger women, say college interns through those who are fresh out of college, are the ones wearing shorter skirts more often but I have also seen some older women (to a lesser extent) doing the same.

I keep on dressing modestly, which is what I was always taught people were supposed to do in the corporate world . So far, it has served me well and even opened some doors. I can think of an occasion where I was asked by higher ups in my company to fill in for someone at a meeting and it was because I was the only one on my team who was dressed professionally enough to meet with the bigwigs. That old cliche rings true: dress for the job you want, not for the one you have.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:04 PM

551 posts, read 582,486 times
Hemlines have crept back up again...it is the in fashion look. I still wouldn't wear anything much above the knee (say an inch or two) but corporate dress codes have been grown far too lax so these types of get-ups are more office-accepted.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:30 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
I see it every day where I work. While all types of women are guilty of it, I find that Asian women are the biggest abusers of short skirts in the workplace.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:47 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
if the legs aren't tree trunks, or pork hocks,

then so what??

Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Shorter skirts are trendy right now. I think the best length for most women is just above the knees. The knee-length skirts that were considered appropriate in business during the 1970s-80s look incredibly dowdy to me. But when they get super short, I'm not keen on them either... mainly because I'm getting to an age where I need to keep my hem length below my cellulite.

Dresses with really short hems that fall just under the derriere are showing up a lot in the styles aimed at 20- and 30- somethings... I've even seen wedding dresses at that length.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

then so what??
i agree..if it isn't just so blatant, then no big deal..what this gal with the glittering pink skirt is wearing just fine and that is pretty short..at least she has the proper size legs for it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHU7oynh3Bw

Old 06-06-2014, 09:31 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:

then so what??
What is wrong with pork hock legs?

JOE TEX
"Skinny legs and all".
Nobody wants the woman with the skinny legs.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:

then so what??
As I noted above, it could be detrimental to the short skirt wearer's career. There are certainly instances in my relatively short career (I'm in my 30s) where perfectly capable people have been passed over for promotions or for events that could have helped further their career, all because they never look the part. I'm not saying it is right or wrong but it just is. Of course, if you are a lawyer in court the dress code will be different than a woman working in retail. I know my company's dress code is much stricter than most places and this varies greatly depending on career field and corporate/office culture.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
The problem with this in the workplace is it's unprofessional. There's been enough surveys and studies out there to show men actually lose respect for a woman who parades herself in the workplace wearing revealing clothing. A short skirt is revealing clothing. Why is it necessary to show more skin in the workplace? As a woman who is going into a male-dominated field, I doubt it would win me respect to go in wearing a miniskirt on the job.

We could use that same argument for cleavage:

"If it's not stretch-marked, saggy or on a fat woman, then so what?" Can anyone see what's wrong with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty