Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you appreciate and want to see more plus size models
I'm a woman and I would like to see more plus size models 57 36.77%
I'm a woman and I would like to see fewer plus size models 7 4.52%
I'm a woman and I don't care one way or another 27 17.42%
I'm a man and I would like to see more plus size models 30 19.35%
I'm a man and I would like to see fewer plus size models 21 13.55%
I'm a man and I don't care one way or another 13 8.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Beauty and sexiness has nothing to do with size, and the way you talk about it is mostly culturally ingrained. Go back a few centuries and the skinny model types of today would have been considered ugly. Once you break out of the stupid advertising branded cultural bias you will find that women of ANY size can be either beautiful or ugly. I have seen incredibly ugly people of all sizes, and incredibly beautiful people of all sizes.
If he'd stated that plus sized women are sexy and skinny women not, I doubt anyone would even question what he said out of political correctness

I think all that's being said is let's not act as though there is a current standard of beauty. An overweight country in the west doesn't change that.

Just as height is often associated with being elegant or even sexy(leggy)

Last edited by coffeendonuts; 06-06-2014 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Not to be mean or anything
Try again.

Quote:
i like all people in general but when you see that pair of pants or dress and it only goes up to a certain size thats supposed to be motivation for you to lose weight. Nowadays people whine and complain to the maker for them to make bigger sizes because thats far easier than losing weight. What takes less effort? To exercise, eat right, and lose weight or brainwash people into thinking that big is beautiful?
And while people are losing this weight, what are they supposed to wear? Shall they wrap themselves in sheets, wear flour sacks, or should they just stay out of sight until they fit your ideal?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:32 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
I was using a random weight (300 lbs).
Ok, but I am so used to seeing that as the knee jerk reaction. Any time this topic comes up, or anything relating to it, the first thing some people do is start talking about the fact that they don't want to be subjected to seeing morbidly obese people strutting about. Some other poster is demanding that nobody have the thought in their head that a woman who isn't a size VS or top model is "sexy", because they are wrong. SERIOUSLY? This stuff is that important that other markets and beliefs cant even be entertained for fear you (figurative you) might so much as lay eyes on or hear someone give credit to them? The "industry" can't even agree on what "plus sized" is, some even suggesting that size 6 and up is plus sized, but you choose to set the bar out at 300 lbs at random.

No one is going to force anyone to look at fat ladies in bikinis or call them sexy or make fun of any skinny women in the process of adding more heavier women to the modeling pool.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:35 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times
There are a lot of plus-sized people in this country who want fashionable clothes, so why shouldn't there be more plus-sized models?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:40 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
I agree with the top few posts. Not to be mean or anything; i like all people in general but when you see that pair of pants or dress and it only goes up to a certain size thats supposed to be motivation for you to lose weight. Nowadays people whine and complain to the maker for them to make bigger sizes because thats far easier than losing weight. What takes less effort? To exercise, eat right, and lose weight or brainwash people into thinking that big is beautiful?
Since nobody has a magic wand that makes you *POOF* lose weight, what do you suggest people wear in the meantime? Would you rather they go naked while over a size (whatever), or just throw on a Muumuu like in the old days?

Not that I'm saying we should all get huge, and for the record, I've maintained a significant & healthy weight loss for almost a decade... but due to how I am naturally shaped, no matter how much I lose, I will NEVER be that perfect little size 4/6 they push as ideal. Even at my very lowest weight, around 128-130lbs, I was still wearing a size 10/12 to accommodate the curves. It's taken a while to accept that, and I still (at age 37) have insecurities about those stupid numbers. Argh!

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, just saying that it doesn't work to "shame" or deprive people into losing weight - nor can everyone fit into small sizes, no matter what the scale says or how they appear. So we SHOULD celebrate diversity in our bodies, and let the focus be on health over appearance/numbers. And yes, one can be healthy over a 10.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I also hate when people (like one or two in this thread) say that featuring a variety of sizes "glamorizes" or "promotes" obesity, when it's really just a reflection of reality. Reminds me of those bigots who complain whenever an interracial or gay couple is featured - like showing these folks, who do actually exist in real life, is somehow akin to saying we should all be them. The purpose of an advertisement is to sell a product and appeal to a market, not to preach or promote any particular way of living. As a few said earlier, it helps to see what clothing will look like on your approximate shape, so what are the size 14+ women supposed to do? Again, there is no magic weight-losing wand, and even with proper diet/exercise it can take months or years to get there... or if someone is happy as they are, who flippin' cares? We all need to mind our own business, and just refrain from looking at certain ads if they bother you.

I'm not talking about featuring plus-sized models on ALL brands, btw, just the ones that actually carry those sizes. Even Lane Bryant has a tendency to use pseudo-PS models, who don't actually resemble your average size 14+ woman... they're more like size 8's, if that, and all perfectly proportioned. That's fine, since I guess they do represent a certain segment of women, but it would be nice to see a little variety too. Back when I was in a 22, I found that very few ads & websites (even for PS brands) made me think "oh, so that's how I'd look!" Those few stores that did usually ended up getting my money, so it's simply a dumb business move to feature models who don't represent your clientele. Also, the motivation I finally found to lose weight had ZERO to do with seeing thin women in ads. So yeah, that doesn't work.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-06-2014 at 03:25 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 02:59 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
I wish the 7th option on the survey could have been "Yes, please".

I like the way a full figured woman looks. I wish more normal sized people got the mag covers and commercials. This ideal of what we should look like is bad for our young folks. As the parent of a 14 year old girl, I worry about it quite a bit.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:35 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ok, but I am so used to seeing that as the knee jerk reaction. Any time this topic comes up, or anything relating to it, the first thing some people do is start talking about the fact that they don't want to be subjected to seeing morbidly obese people strutting about. Some other poster is demanding that nobody have the thought in their head that a woman who isn't a size VS or top model is "sexy", because they are wrong. SERIOUSLY? This stuff is that important that other markets and beliefs cant even be entertained for fear you (figurative you) might so much as lay eyes on or hear someone give credit to them? The "industry" can't even agree on what "plus sized" is, some even suggesting that size 6 and up is plus sized, but you choose to set the bar out at 300 lbs at random.

No one is going to force anyone to look at fat ladies in bikinis or call them sexy or make fun of any skinny women in the process of adding more heavier women to the modeling pool.
That's an overreaction, considering no one said anyone who isn't a VS model or the size of one is not sexy to anyone. The majority does not find heavy set girls (or guys for that matter) attractive.

But it's about the majority. The majority of consumers want to see someone who is relatable, yet fantasy. The girl with the rolls, stretch marks, cellulite and dark circles isn't marketable

Just look at the comments on articles featuring celebs caught without makeup. All of a sudden the celebs have horrible wrinkles/acne/discoloration yadda yadda.

High end designers aren't going to waste money on extra fabric to make a tiny portion of their consumers happy. One can't expect lululemon to cater to all sizes out of political correctness. There are many other athletic brands out there as far as clothing goes

Old 06-06-2014, 03:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Try again.

And while people are losing this weight, what are they supposed to wear? Shall they wrap themselves in sheets, wear flour sacks, or should they just stay out of sight until they fit your ideal?
Of course! In fact, you shouldn't be working either (and have appropriate clothing) until you lose weight. Maybe it would be easier to just create a separate planet to keep the "horrible fat people" out of sight and out of mind.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Try again.

Um no, theyre supposed to wear whats available to people their size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty