Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
There is one lady, our office manager, who wears some makeup to work other than me. These are average-looking young ladies, but truthfully, they could really use a little help--they come in with damp hair, no makeup, frumpy clothes, sometimes flip-flops when we don't have patients. Over lunch one day, I said I do put on makeup to go out and mostly I got responses like "I don't have time to do that!" Told them my routine takes 5-6 minutes--longer if I wash and dry my hair, of course. I don't understand it! (My mother put on lipstick to go pick up the mail.)
That is why workplaces need dress codes. Flip flops were never allowed in my office. They are a safety hazard as well, easy to trip over and noisy. I also would not allow wet hair or any of that straight-out-of-bed type of thing. It's disrespectful to the come in like that.

I love how all of a sudden no one has time for basic grooming. They have time to play on their cell phones all day long though, go to Starbucks, McDonalds and watch Netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Perhaps this is due to the lack of modern conveniences that rule our lives today. People of that era had to move more. Their food also were not filled with chemicals.
We have gyms around every corner, for as low as 10/mo. Fifties-seventies were era of tv dinner and space food- laden with chemicals that make it last fifty years. Nutrition was not a thing until later, few people went to gyms or worked out. Women did all the housework but they still do mostly. They did have washing machines, and the conveniences we have now. They had desk jobs as now.

They didn't eat tons of food. They did their hair and wore clothes that fit properly. That's about it.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:25 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
I don't think you understand what I am trying to say here. I don't feel like repeating myself, but I recommend you read the whole eight page thread to get what I and others mean. I know being a mother is hard especially if you have to work long hours, I can just look at my sister for an example.
Am I right?

Are you in your 20s somewhere?

And yes, your original post illustrates your shallowness.

I suppose you would have Mother Theresa to a plastic surgeon, or a makeover at the very least...

Old 06-18-2014, 02:14 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I used to put effort into looking clean and fit, but still was regarded as ugly. I give up at this point, because there is so much more than looks I need to take care of right now. We will see about looks later.

BTW, Europeans only work 35-40 hours a week, with lesser chance of being unemployed. Americans do more like 50 per week (though on pen and paper its 40), and are fired or hired at will. We are expected to do more than just look pretty, and stress of getting fired runs very high here. Company will hire whoever works and contributes the most for minimum compensation.
^Well said! There was a time when there was time for that extra effort like before one has children or other serious responsibilities. When people are dead-on-their-feet, the last thing they are thinking about is looking attractive. We have younger couples here working 2 and 3 jobs just to pay the bills and that the fact that they are that dedicated to supporting their family is far more attractive than anything else I can think of.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Based on this thread I am probably automatically ugly since I am not "slim and fit." Maybe if I lose 30 pounds I'll magically become infinitely more attractive.

That's good...because then I can keep focusing on dressing cute (to me!)

Old 06-18-2014, 03:08 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
I'm with you, OP.

It really DOESN'T take all that much time and effort to look presentable. Really. All it takes is a bit of know-how and thought. No one is saying you need to spend hours preening in front of the mirror and doing your nails. But to people that say they don't have time to dress nice - are you walking around nude?? Because if you have time to put on mom jeans and a baggy fleece or even pajama pants - guess what, you have the time to put on a cute pair of jeans that actually fits and a nice top. Seriously, people. Takes even less time to throw on a cute sundress in the summer - it's the easiest thing! And you instantly look put together. Instead you get soccer moms in those god-awful unflattering baggy capris and baggy T-shirts, that make anyone instantly look 20 lbs heavier with midget legs, complaining they have no time. What's even more ironic is I see those same moms spending that precious time carefully picking out those ugly capris, rubber flip flops, and cheap ribbed tank tops (that only look good on skinny 15 year olds) at Old Navy, when for the same amount of time and money they could get a cute dress and sandals, or dark wash jeans, a fitted tee, ballet flats and a cardigan and end up looking fantastic. Takes maybe another five minutes to throw on some eyeliner and blush and lip gloss, and run a brush through your hair. I'm a mom, and I have never stepped out of the house without makeup, not even when I had a newborn and was nursing every hour and a half. It's not a lack of time, it's a lack of thought and effort, not wanting to branch out and step out of their comfort zone.

Doesn't take that much time not to gain massive amounts of weight either - yes, LOSING a lot of weight, or getting a super fit body, or if you have a medical condition, takes a lot more effort, but the majority of people could maintain a healthy weight and prevent piling it on simply by not overeating. Again, takes LESS time and money if anything.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:20 PM

600 posts, read 824,842 times
Some effort goes a long way, however; weight loss is usually the most dramatic. I don't know anyone who has lost weight then complained they felt much better being 30lbs+ heavier. Typically weight loss also makes the person look much younger for some reason.

The way the society is structured is it in inherently lazy I agree. It's 1,000x to say accept me for being overweight, than it is to lose it.

I lived in the Midwest my whole life, and the women here look physically much better in OC than the Midwest. Before, if you could even meet a skinny girl in Indiana, that's already half the battle.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:39 PM

241 posts, read 360,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Am I right?

Are you in your 20s somewhere?

And yes, your original post illustrates your shallowness.

I suppose you would have Mother Theresa to a plastic surgeon, or a makeover at the very least...
I can tell that you didn't even bother reading my other responses. I never once told people they need to spend all their energy on trying to look like a supermodel nor do I freak out when I see someone with messy hair. I simply wanted to start a discussion on the benefits of healthy eating, grooming, and dressing nicer. Very few people are born ugly, only a certain life style can make take a toll on your appearance. If the majority of people just took better care of themselves that natural beauty of theirs would shine through more. I was once overweight due to poor food choices, and on top of that I did drugs, partied regularly and drank an excessive amount of alcohol. Not only did I look terrible, I FELT terrible. My only comfort were the activities that were taking a toll on my health and wellbeing, but that comfort only lasted for bit and I would go back feeling terrible about myself. I knew I needed to make a change and I did. So I quite drinking, using drugs, and got a gym membership. It was hard but it payed off as I feel better and more confident about my body. Most importantly I FEEL good. Using drugs might of given a moment of instant gratification but being healthy and grooming myself has given me a lifetime of gratification.

People who spend all their energy on their appearance are vain and shallow, and there is a difference between being vain and having pride in your appearance.

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-18-2014 at 04:11 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 03:44 PM

I'll admit those lightweight capris are comfortable, and if you feel like you can't wear shorts, it's the next best thing. But if I wear them I try to pair them with nice shoes or sandals and a decent shirt. I found a nice pair of platform flip flops that look ok but prefer well made sandals.

I did go a bit frumpy when I was a caregiver under tremendous stress, I tried not to give in, but looking cute was the last thing on my mind. Still no pajama bottoms, sweats and unwashed hair to the store, that would just make me feel more depressed.

Anyone notice that the most lazily dressed and badly groomed people shuffling around in wornout flip-flops all have their toenails perfectly polished? OK>>

Old 06-18-2014, 04:14 PM

241 posts, read 360,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'll admit those lightweight capris are comfortable, and if you feel like you can't wear shorts, it's the next best thing. But if I wear them I try to pair them with nice shoes or sandals and a decent shirt. I found a nice pair of platform flip flops that look ok but prefer well made sandals.

I did go a bit frumpy when I was a caregiver under tremendous stress, I tried not to give in, but looking cute was the last thing on my mind. Still no pajama bottoms, sweats and unwashed hair to the store, that would just make me feel more depressed.

Anyone notice that the most lazily dressed and badly groomed people shuffling around in wornout flip-flops all have their toenails perfectly polished? OK>>
Not surprised, getting your nails done has become the favorite feminine orientated activity of a lot of women today. Well at least for me it is .

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-18-2014 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty