Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:47 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

Anyone here shop at thrift stores or buy used items online (eBay, etc.)? Have you picked up any good fashion items lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 05:20 AM

301 posts, read 823,795 times
I buy a lot (probably too much lol!) on ebay. If I see something I like at Macy's or Chico's I can usually find it on ebay a few month's later for much, much cheaper AND it is usually NWT's (New With Tags). Yesterday I scored a cute top (NWT's) that is still available at Macy's - I got it for $12.99 and the current Macy's price is $38.99 on sale. I have very rarely been disappointed, but be sure and check the reputation points and comments on the Sellers before you bid. Years ago I also would shop thrift stores (Goodwill, etc) but lately their selection has been consistently poor and prices high.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:52 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
I buy a lot (probably too much lol!) on ebay. If I see something I like at Macy's or Chico's I can usually find it on ebay a few month's later for much, much cheaper AND it is usually NWT's (New With Tags). Yesterday I scored a cute top (NWT's) that is still available at Macy's - I got it for $12.99 and the current Macy's price is $38.99 on sale. I have very rarely been disappointed, but be sure and check the reputation points and comments on the Sellers before you bid. Years ago I also would shop thrift stores (Goodwill, etc) but lately their selection has been consistently poor and prices high.
I'm also a big shopper on eBay. And that goes for new as well as used items. I try to be careful about what you said concerning the Seller's rep, and I think the fact that eBay is so popular and we keep using it over and over says something about the way it is managed. I think online shopping is the new form of "thrift shopping." There are also some other good online places for bargain shopping.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
I shop thrift stores frequently. I buy about half of my clothes in thrift stores. My most recent favorite purchases was a green fossil sundress. I paid $4.50 for it. I love it when I find something that I love at a price like that.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Not in about four years, what I've seen on the store racks in this town filled with quite a bit of wealth, mostly seniors, you couldn't pay me to take home. When I lived in NC, I lived in a college town and I camped a lot so I often found wonderful quality items like merino wool sweaters I would pick up to wear for my camping trips, in Tampa, I used to find high priced jeans and dresses, some still with tags, but those great bargain days are gone as the ebay sellers use these places to shop and resale at ridiculous prices now.

I don't see myself shopping at a thrift store for clothing anytime in the near future at least not for any clothing items for sure not in my town. Love living in the area though, just not a thrift shop maven.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:53 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
When I lived near Scottsdale, AZ there was a chain of consignment stores called "My Sister's Closet" that supplied about 70% of my casual clothes and 100% of my work clothes. I dressed WAY above my pay that way. Loved the St. John stuff. And when I retired, I sent all that stuff back to the shop and sold it.

I've bought clothes from ebay as well and handbags and belts.

In my younger years, I would buy jeans from thrift stores, but it's just not worth the effort. And now that I've moved to Raleigh, NC the consignment stores aren't as good.

PS - I used to work for Goodwill at an executive level. After seeing first hand the way they spend their "non-profit" revenue, I wouldn't give them a single dime. Serious problems with overpaying staff (including me!) and not using the store revenues to provide services as directed by their mission. Frankly, most Goodwill's shouldn't be classified as a non-profit. And here's an example from my current local area: DURHAM: Goodwill husband-wife team earns nearly $800,000 | News | NewsObserver.com

Even worse: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-h...b_3246824.html

Old 06-22-2014, 03:27 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I was just thrifting last week and found an awesome sundress but paid way too much for it 8.00 is a lot at a thrift store but hey I wanted it so there you have it ..I try to find some fishermans wool sweaters close to fall and winter as I can ..I hope Im lucky this fall ...so I bought a couple of scarfs and some plastic bangle bracelets which I love .. and also found a like new pair of tennis canvas shoes which I like because they are durable . I usually find a decent buy every so often .

Old 06-22-2014, 06:03 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Thrifts are overpriced here so ebay all the way.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:52 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
There's a consignment shop in my area that sells designer clothing. Well, actually a couple of them. I got a pair of jeans that retails for $200 for $12. It's comparitively easier for me to find jeans in a consignment or thrift store than it is for me to find shirts, blazers, and sweaters that I like. Those I buy on eBay.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I have pretty good luck at thrift stores, especially for my daughter who wears a 4 or 6...there are tons of cute little clothes for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty