Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 02:21 PM

584 posts, read 2,150,391 times

Advertisements

Why are clothes now impossible to wash with anything else due to the amount of dye that bleeds. It seems like no matter what you buy, material, color, etc, the fabric just won't stop bleeding to the point that you can't wash it with anything else. And I'm not going to hand wash every single piece of clothing and hope it doesnt drip on anything. I have been soaking the new items that bleed, and the amount of dye that comes off is enough to dye easter eggs lol. I soak them in cold water to try to get rid of the extra dye but there seems to be no end. I don't want to get rid of the brand new clothes, but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone else have this problem or have a solution? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 02:33 PM

22,596 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Sorry, but that has only been a problem with a red rag rug I bought at Pier 1.

Where do you shop? Is it a specific store or brand?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
I had this issue with an American Rag dress from Macy's. I washed it in cold water, and hung it to dry, and all the colors bled down while it hung. I exchanged the dress for another, and this time soaked it first in a vinegar/water mix, and it STILL bled. Not as much, but definitely bled.

I have no solution for you OP. Just commiserating. Sorry.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
You can try the colorcatchers laundry product. It's from Shout. I've never used it for regular laundry, just for quilts, but it does seem to catch the extra dyes.

And I REALLY understand what you're talking about. I went out looking for jeans a couple of months ago and I swear over half of the stuff I really looked at had hang tags warning of the dyes running. Makes me think they took something dangerous out of the dye bath.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 PM

584 posts, read 2,150,391 times
I might try the product from Shout. I just keep thinking that if I rinse/soak it long enough that it would run out of the running dye, but so far it is so bad that the water is a solid color. I know if I put in a white tshirt in the bucket, it would come out a solid dark color from soaking up all the dye. I don't understand why one product will not stop bleeding dye and a different product, same material same color, will not bleed at all? What are the companies doing to fabrics these days? Are they putting in a chemical that makes the color stay or a chemical that makes the color not hold? Seems really weird.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
There's also a product out there for quilters and dyers called Retayne. A lot of people use it for batiks, but the batiks are made there shouldn't be any shrinkage or dye bleed after the hot water wax washout.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:58 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,658 times
bgmv90, I use Shout color catcher, and it works great! It is a white sheet that you put in the washer. You just would not believe how dark and dingy it comes out after washing some loads of laundry. It never comes out totally white like it was when I put it in...and I separate my clothes. It's worth the added expense to me so that I don't ruin my clothing. There are also Brand X color catchers that work well too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty