Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:05 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times

Advertisements

I show my age here, but when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, you could almost pinpoint the year by looking at what someone was wearing or their hairstyle. It seemed like things changed every year or two.
Over the last 10 to 15 years, it doesn't seem like clothing and hair styles have changed much at all to me. Am I wrong? Please give examples if I am. I look at movies made 10 , 12 or 14 years ago and don't see a lot of difference in the way people look today, while there was a vast difference in styles between the years 1965, 1970 and 1975 and even into the 80s.
Not passing any judgment on this or saying rapid change was better, but it does seem different. Maybe younger people have different perspective and see more of the change than I am seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I can't believe how long the ultra-baggy pants fad has lasted (it's been about 20 years now!!), and the shaved-head look. I'm not a fan of either one.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:47 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I show my age here, but when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, you could almost pinpoint the year by looking at what someone was wearing or their hairstyle. It seemed like things changed every year or two.
Over the last 10 to 15 years, it doesn't seem like clothing and hair styles have changed much at all to me. Am I wrong? Please give examples if I am. I look at movies made 10 , 12 or 14 years ago and don't see a lot of difference in the way people look today, while there was a vast difference in styles between the years 1965, 1970 and 1975 and even into the 80s.
Not passing any judgment on this or saying rapid change was better, but it does seem different. Maybe younger people have different perspective and see more of the change than I am seeing.
I think a lot of it has to do with almost no taboos in fashion and very few societal rules (in a larger sense) for how people dress. With the advent of the 50s, there were new fabrics and fabric blends being introduced, a move away from home sewing and into mass produced clothing -- which brought about a change in the type of tailoring and structure used in garments -- and then in the '60s came the miniskirt which paved the way for lots of new silhouettes never explored before, and then the '70s brought trousers to women's wear in a way that hadn't been done before. But no matter what else, bodies are still bodies (bigger, maybe, but still 2 arms, 2 legs, 1 waist, etc.).

It's gotten difficult to find new silhouettes that women want to wear and so the industry has almost necessarily slowed down because you can make new fashion but if the average woman has no interest in being in something new just because it's new if she can't make it look passable on her body, then it won't become popular.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:51 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Lots of people now were alive in the 60s. Most of them don't remember the 60s.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:32 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I was alive in the later forties and still here to tell the story.... the sixities was a big turning point in hairstyles and fashion.. before that teenagers dressed like their mothers... now in the 60s they were liberated to have their own clothes and style...and didnt they do it well, Mary Quant saw to that with mini skirts. geometric haircuts,and clothes we d never seen before.. I do think that after the 80s things did slow down a bit.. and nothing much changed..

Old 06-29-2014, 05:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Work wear for men and women changes more than casual wear, I think. Extremely dressy clothes continue to evolve. But overall there are so many choices for people to makes with their clothes, that I think you don't see across the board changes. Women have been wearing long hair for about forty years now, with little substantive change, except for a time in the '80s. That's one change I've noticed. I agree that the late sixties and early seventies revolutionized fashion, but gradually since then people have begun to decide how they want to dress, and so they do. Much of the 1980s had a distinctive look, with shoulder pads, the "wedge" dress, the gelled hair, the acid washed jeans, and the overdone makeup. If you watched Designing Women now you would be struck at the difference in the way women dress.

I do think that styles since then have not often had a highly distinctive look. But in men's wear, suits and casual wear are getting slim. I think I have posted before about this, but at the most fashionable level, men are wearing downright skinny pants and jackets. So this is a change from the previous decade. This skinny look will eventually filter down to everyman, but of course, everyman won't always have the figure to carry it off. You see the skinny look in women's fashions too. For about a decade there were no dresses or skirts for women. About a decade ago they reappeared, and now all the younger women wear them. Well, the dresses are getting skinny too. The old "sheath" dress has come back in style; this is a style which I wore in my early teens!

So yes, styles change. But I don't think all segments of new styles filter down to all of us. How many mature women can wear a sheath dress today? Not many that I know--me included. So some of us don't get to wear the the latest styles.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
when cher showed her belly button in the early 70's on tv, it was quite a big deal

but every night all the men would come around....and lay their money down....

Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Styles changed so fast it must have been a bit of a challenge for movie makers back then.
For example a movie shot say in mid 1966 ...released in early 1968, already looked very dated.
That's how fast styles changed then, especially mid 60's to mid 70's

Sometimes I'm watching a movie that is from mid 90's and it's mostly technology,
like cell phones, old CRT computer screens that give me a clue that I'm looking at a 20 year old movie!

Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I was alive in the later forties and still here to tell the story.... the sixities was a big turning point in hairstyles and fashion.. before that teenagers dressed like their mothers... now in the 60s they were liberated to have their own clothes and style...and didnt they do it well, Mary Quant saw to that with mini skirts. geometric haircuts,and clothes we d never seen before.. I do think that after the 80s things did slow down a bit.. and nothing much changed..
I always wondered why when I've looked at old pictures of my grandmothers, for instance, they looked like "old ladies" even in high school lol!

And the hair styles from back in the 50s - 70s on women, yikes! Some of them looked like it took 3 hours a day to get their hair up and into place lol!

As for today's fashion, I think since the 80s, it's changed very slowly. But at this point, it seems like we've done about everything you can possibly do with clothes and hair. Same thing with music. A lot of new music is very similar to music from 30 years ago. But if you compared music from 1984 to music in 1954, there was a huge difference. I never would have listened to music my parents liked in their teens (in the late 50s/early 60s) and they had no interest in the music I liked in the 80s. But today, my kids and I like the same music.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:35 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Classic styles rarely go out of favor....I adore the dresses with form fitting bodice, nipped in waist, full-skirts of the 50's....so feminine and classy and still in style (just worn a bit shorter now).....I seek after classic fashions in nice vintage clothing stores - have them tailored and wear them and look perfectly acceptable wherever I go....today I bought a darling lined black and white medium scale hound's-tooth wool blend side-zip sheath with front covered button detail on the bodice and a matching 3/4 length jacket with largish covered buttons - totally darling and perfect condition....I will have the hem taken down 1 inch and the waist and below the bust area taken in - but for $10 I got a great deal.....very 60's looking but classic....have some killer yellow heels to go with it.

I do not like the see-through, whole-breast-thinly-veiled runway fashions that I am seeing from major designers - leave something to the imagination please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty