Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Here's the kicker: I have given this question challenge to many people over the years and NOT ONE person has been able to say yes to all of the above. And those who decided to implement the above saw noticeable results. So real thyroid issues are something that's rare and chances are your weight is completely under your control.
The real kicker which you failed to mention is that only a blood test can determine the health of the thyroid gland, not answering a group of questions to a pop quiz. Thyroid disease is more common than you might think. And even thin people can have thyroid problems that necessitate them to take thyroid medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 AM

678 posts, read 697,730 times
Its all about how you approach people.These days people dont care how you look you can be ugly as the boogey man but if your caring, funny,outgoing and have a selfless personality that light will shine and people will ****ing love you

Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
That's another thing that bothers me - people who refuse to just say what they ****ing are. It's ironic, because if they were to own it, chances are they'd be happier and people would appreciate their honesty. Most fat people I know who accept it and have a sense of humor about it get on much better than the ones who don't.

Hiding it behind other terms also perpetuates the bigotry, because the subconscious message is that fat is so demonic they can't even speak it's name.
Thank you!

I'm quite fluffy and the other day I was wearing a t-shirt that read, "I [heart] Bacon". One guy stopped in front of me and said, "I can see that." I just smiled and said, "Yeah, well, I'm starting for Alabama."

He looked shocked at first and then high-fived me and started laughing.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM

43 posts, read 40,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
bs.

Most people that are overweight haven't chosen to be, in fact most would choose not to be.

I've been overweight my entire life, I've worked my ass off to lose weight and watch what I eat, but for the life of me I'll never be a skinny person.

I've got a friend that will consume twice as many calories as me per day, yet weighs about 40 lbs less than me.
What a cop out. I'm not saying it's EASY to be at a healthy BMI, either. But being overweight your entire life is 100% your choice.

You may never be skinny, I didn't say everyone could be skinny. I said being overweight is a choice.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
Quote:
I've lost 40 lbs over the past year because I've changed what I do (fyi I've never been lazy) and how I eat. I've plateaued the past 3 months and haven't been able to lose any more. I'm still over weight, I currently weigh in a 225 which is about 50lbs more than I want to.
first of all, congratulations! second of all, how tall are you? depending on your height, you could either just have a big frame or be legitimately overweight at this point

Quote:
To the people that have never been over weight in their lives, they have no clue why people are really fat.
i've been overweight. i have also lost 50 pounds.

Quote:
They automatically assume that fat people are lazy and only eat bad stuff. That's just simply not true. Everyone of our bodies are different.
they are not THAT different. we are all still of the same species

Quote:
And yes, we did have fat people in the 70s, we've had large people all throughout History.
there were considerably less overweight people in the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Gibson's Pants View Post
What a cop out. I'm not saying it's EASY to be at a healthy BMI, either. But being overweight your entire life is 100% your choice.

You may never be skinny, I didn't say everyone could be skinny. I said being overweight is a choice.
i agree. i see all these overweight people making excuses all the time. i'm not perfect either. one summer, i was guzzling the rum n cokes 4 days a week, gained 20-30 pounds in one summer....didnt exercise, and was eating cookie dough & frosting straight out of the container. woke up one day and looked at my huge gut and felt like shiit. that was the day i got my gym membership and quit the cola and cut back on the junk

Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Meh, back in the 70's people were much thinner and the many diet fads like paleo, clean eating, cross fit, and several others were not practiced as commonly as they are currently. People ate foods that were considered junk, working out meant walking to places and maybe jogging lightly in the morning or evening, and the stress on calories, fats etc were simplified to following the food pyramid and getting your daily vitamin. It was simplistic. Portions were much smaller. Food wasn't as processed. People were more active. Food wasn't this complex thing that it is today. Working out wasnt so complex.

It makes no sense that with all the diet and exercise trend and resources out there today people are fatter than ever. The advice being thrown out by experts about each of these fads, is ever-changing and often requires people to become obsessive and complex about EVERYTHING.

Simply eating less frozen/ processed foods, eating smaller portions, making sure to eat important food groups as often as i can and keeping active through out the day as much as i can, with additional exercise like cardio and weight lifting is what I've done. I don't eliminate anything from my diet. I don't view food as good or bad. I don't make it complex. I don't restrict myself from things I like or overeat things I like because I know it will be there the next day. I don't count calories, or obsess about fat or how much protein I eat. I just make sure to eat foods that contain the nutrients I need and leave it at that. I don't know what my BMI is or my weight. I haven't weighed myself in years. I do know that I wear a decent size(4 and 6 in companies that run small) and that I feel great and look great to me. Maybe it's ignorance but ain't nobody got time for all that obsessing when there are many other things that are just as important.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times
Quote:
bs.

Most people that are overweight haven't chosen to be, in fact most would choose not to be.

I've been overweight my entire life, I've worked my ass off to lose weight and watch what I eat, but for the life of me I'll never be a skinny person.

I've got a friend that will consume twice as many calories as me per day, yet weighs about 40 lbs less than me.
Yes MOST people choose to be overweight, just because they WISH to be thinner means nothing unless you have the will power to watch what you eat, exercise and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Granted it is harder for many to do this, you can be a "bigger/larger" person and still be healthy, not everyone is supposed to be rail thin.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:14 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,837 times
My theory is that the fad diets of the past, which were mainly starvation diets, have caused people to screw up their metabolism. Back then we didn't know enough about effective weight loss. Most of what I remember is people simply being told to eat fewer calories...as few as possible. Now we know that starving oneself does more damage and adds more weight over the long haul than does a balanced diet of 4-5 meals a day. But for some, the damage us done and I think the metabolic issues we see today are a result of years and years of yo yo dieting that brings normal metabolic functions to a halt.

There are still people who believe that eating as few meals as possible is the answer...just like there are people who believe they can eat whatever they want as long as they workout. And most people's idea of a strenuous workout is woefully inaccurate.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM

323 posts, read 499,510 times
What about aesthetics? What about visual pollution? The blubbering rolls of lard. The flattened , spread feet. In some parts of the country, where people are fairly wealthy, such as Marin County, California or Northern Arizona, you hardly ever see fat people. In most of the rest of the country, almost every single person you see is huge. Its disgusting.

Heres what I did. I walked three and a half hour 10 miles a day at first, then after a month cut it to 5. This is each and every day, no ifs ands or butts. After a while, the loss of weight tapered off. So I changed to a calorie restriction of 1200 cals a day. The weight flew off, but after a while the rate slowed down by half. So then, know what I did? 1200 calories a day plus the five miles. Viola! I keep myself right in the middle of my normal basal metabolic index. When I am in the low 130's, I can gorge on anything at anytime. Upper 130s- cut back on the goodies.

I walk, I don't run or jog. I think people look like chickens when they run Also, it wears out knees. A 5 mile walk in the country takes about an hour and a half. I know, many people do not have an hour and a half, but this is what works for me.

Weight loss and maintenance is simple. Its what goes in and what is burned off.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:09 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Not always, but many times yes. Fat people tend to have it harder when it comes to dating and sex, but also to other areas like employment, etc. It is not right, although it is fine to not want to date obese people, but being fat does not tell much about a person. Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty