Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
1. These stereotypes are based on reality - at least my reality, which does NOT derive from random guesswork on the sidewalks of New York.
Correct. You are stereotyping, and that is your reality, which is simply your opinion, nothing more. And you know what they say about opinions. . .

Quote:
2. I base my opinions on my direct, extensive and very long-time experience in this sphere, and I have come to the conclusion that gay women do not, AS A WHOLE, dress as well as gay men... or straight women.
And what experience would that be, exactly? Working as a cashier at a clothing store? How do you know if a woman or man is gay, straight, or bisexual? That's right, you don't. And once again, we're talking about your OPINION, which is not a fact.

Quote:
3. Portia de Rossi is so NOT typical of lesbians..anywhere.
How do you know? Are you able to correctly identify every lesbian? No. Have you been everywhere on this earth? No.

Quote:
I can't tell you how many women I know seem to let themselves go, caring little about their looks after they get into a relationship!
Why should these women change their looks to suit you? That's rather egotistical.

Quote:
Thank god that has not been my personal situation, but honestly, it is epidemic in my neck of the woods (FL).
Thank god many people don't suffer from your level of arrogance. That must be very difficult to live with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:58 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Correct. You are stereotyping, and that is your reality, which is simply your opinion, nothing more. And you know what they say about opinions. . .

And what experience would that be, exactly? Working as a cashier at a clothing store? How do you know if a woman or man is gay, straight, or bisexual? That's right, you don't. And once again, we're talking about your OPINION, which is not a fact.

How do you know? Are you able to correctly identify every lesbian? No. Have you been everywhere on this earth? No.

Why should these women change their looks to suit you? That's rather egotistical.

Thank god many people don't suffer from your level of arrogance. That must be very difficult to live with
BOOM!! And Scooby Snacks drops the mic, and walks off stage.

Couldn't have said it better. Totally agree with everything here.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Couple of things:

1. Don't play into the stereotypes of what a gay man is supposed to look like and what a gay woman is supposed to look like. Gay does not always mean flamboyant and coiffed for men, and it doesn't always mean butch dikey for women (see Portia DeRossi).
When I think of stereotypical lesbians I think of Pete Rose, but wearing a men's flannel shirt.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
I don't know all that many lesbians. But one couple I know has 2 women on her femme spectrum. They both wore wedding dresses on their wedding day. And regularly dress "girly preppy" if you will. In dresses, pencil skirts, blouses, etc. We admire each others style.

But if you saw them, I bet you'd just assume "straight" since they dress feminine.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Of the lesbians I personally know (and I know many who are both lesbian and bisexual), Portia de Rossi is EXACTLY like how they are. I know only ONE who fits the stereotype you have in your mind of how they are "supposed" to look. Yet, she is still more like Michelle Rodriguez than she is like Rosie O'Donnell.

Seems like instead you have fallen victim to the wrongful thinking that a gay man wants to look like a woman and a gay woman wants to look like a man. LMAO. Those are unfortunate stereotypes that more often than not, when you look at overall numbers, fail to be true.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Of the lesbians I personally know (and I know many who are both lesbian and bisexual), Portia de Rossi is EXACTLY like how they are. I know only ONE who fits the stereotype you have in your mind of how they are "supposed" to look. Yet, she is still more like Michelle Rodriguez than she is like Rosie O'Donnell.

Seems like instead you have fallen victim to the wrongful thinking that a gay man wants to look like a woman and a gay woman wants to look like a man. LMAO. Those are unfortunate stereotypes that more often than not, when you look at overall numbers, fail to be true.
Agreed! Just like straight people, gay people have a wide range of styles!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Working in NYC, I see a lot of gay people on the street and at the workplace.
What I've noticed over the years is that in general, gay men are better dressed than lesbian women.
This completely invalidates any remotely reasonable premise that might follow. How do you know a person is gay in the first place, based on "seeing" them on the street? You can assume based on attire, but what about well dressed lesbians, or casually dressed gay men? There are plenty of them, but neither would qualify as gay based on appearance. Your conclusion is based on subjective observations that exclude people who you think aren't gay.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:32 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't know all that many lesbians. But one couple I know has 2 women on her femme spectrum. They both wore wedding dresses on their wedding day. And regularly dress "girly preppy" if you will. In dresses, pencil skirts, blouses, etc. We admire each others style.

But if you saw them, I bet you'd just assume "straight" since they dress feminine.
jade408, just curious as to why you took a quote from tjarado, and attached my handle to it? Anyway, I suppose I agree with it for the most part. I've been out of the closet over 33 years, and yes, it's true lesbians like Portia de Rossi are the exception, and they are most always taken. In her case, by an extremely wealthy, androgynous talk show host.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
jade408, just curious as to why you took a quote from tjarado, and attached my handle to it?
Not intentionally so! I probably had way too many quotes happening. Sorry!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This thread is a major fail.

Some gay men dress well and some are slobs.

Some lesbians dress well and some are slobs.

Some straight men dress well and some are slobs.

Some straight women dress well and some are slobs.

We must not fall prey to stereotypes and assumptions.

There are no absolutes but nothing falls into equal pie slices either. There is an emperical truth out there. Not sure what it is but the % of gay men and women who dress like slobs will not be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty