Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,408,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Agreed! Just like straight people, gay people have a wide range of styles!
So true. And, just like the rest of the world, (especially here in the states) fashions and dress style varies based on geographical location.

Gay dudes in Alabama or Arkansas will probably have different styles than say gay dudes in Santa Monica and Malibu. Same would be true for non gays in these areas as well.

Gay women in Cincinnati and University of Kentucky will probably have different dress styles than say gay women in Manhattan and Southern Cal University (USC).. Same would be true for non gays in these areas as well.

For me, going by the lesbians I personally know, and have personally seen at random events, mixers, hang outs, coffee houses, etc. here in Los Angeles, I can say for a FACT that they look more like Portia de Rossi than the big black chick on that towing show (don't know her name). As a matter of fact, many of them who I know were gay, you would never in a million years be able to look at them and say "gay".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
So true. And, just like the rest of the world, (especially here in the states) fashions and dress style varies based on geographical location.

Gay dudes in Alabama or Arkansas will probably have different styles than say gay dudes in Santa Monica and Malibu. Same would be true for non gays in these areas as well.

Gay women in Cincinnati and University of Kentucky will probably have different dress styles than say gay women in Manhattan and Southern Cal University (USC).. Same would be true for non gays in these areas as well.

For me, going by the lesbians I personally know, and have personally seen at random events, mixers, hang outs, coffee houses, etc. here in Los Angeles, I can say for a FACT that they look more like Portia de Rossi than the big black chick on that towing show (don't know her name). As a matter of fact, many of them who I know were gay, you would never in a million years be able to look at them and say "gay".
I had the exact opposite experience in El Paso. I met a large group of lesbians and they were beyond slobs and took pride in that. I remember one woman told me she injected male hormones...she dressed like a slobby teenage boy. I admit it was a relatively small sample size but i know the bad dressing lesbians do exist

Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
For heaven's sake Scooby - lighten up - we're only talking about style here - not morals or politics!

And yes it IS MY OPINION.. just like your stuff is YOUR OPINION.

So you say to me:
"And what experience would that be, exactly? Working as a cashier at a clothing store? How do you know if a woman or man is gay, straight, or bisexual? That's right, you don't."

And I reply:
Because I meet them at gay bars, house parties, dances, golf and fishing trips, festivals and the occasional Olivia holidays.
I even (gasp) invite "them" to my house for brunch or to watch football on occasion, OK?
Do you get it now?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,786,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

Consider that retail is getting very homogenous; meaning, a lot of local retail shopping chains have closed. Macy's, JC Penney, Walmart, Target, the Gap, Banana Rep, Old Navy, Aeropostale, American Eagle Outfitter, etc are all coast to coast, and carry the same garb. For most opponents, I would say the Queens Gambit is less risky.

Last edited by 9162; 07-09-2014 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,786,735 times
I would say that "skinny jeans" look terrible on any guy, regardless of age. Grundge look, whiskering on the lap of a pair of jeans looks awful. It used to be, being waif skinny (read: anorexic) was the ideal for female models according to many fashion designers. Many women, and some men objected to such notions of ideal beauty, but not only has the trend not died out, it has strengthened. Fashion expects men too, particularly young men to be waif skinny too.

whiskering, a style that is long overdue to die:

Skinny jeans, with extra slim fitted shirt. What happened to looking buff? Many want to pin this trend on gay guys, but we hate it!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:13 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
I would say that "skinny jeans" look terrible on any guy, regardless of age. Grundge look, whiskering on the lap of a pair of jeans looks awful. It used to be, being waif skinny (read: anorexic) was the ideal for female models according to many fashion designers. Many women, and some men objected to such notions of ideal beauty, but not only has the trend not died out, it has strengthened. Fashion expects men too, particularly young men to be waif skinny too.

whiskering, a style that is long overdue to die:

Skinny jeans, with extra slim fitted shirt. What happened to looking buff? Many want to pin this trend on gay guys, but we hate it!

blech, I absolutely hate this look with a passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty