Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 06:50 AM

313 posts, read 531,351 times

Advertisements

Laser hair removal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course people are free to do what they want, but does anyone think it's gone too far? The whole obsession with being hairless? Women and now men, to an extent? It's like we're grossed out by our own natural body hair. Perhaps it's a denial of our animality too?

Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post

Of course people are free to do what they want, but does anyone think it's gone too far? The whole obsession with being hairless? Women and now men, to an extent? It's like we're grossed out by our own natural body hair. Perhaps it's a denial of our animality too?
My mother tried that. She said it hurt, and it didn't work. The hair came right back.

And as for hair, some people just don't like the look and feel of hair when they're sleeping with someone lol

But not all the time. A woman I know says she never shaves, and never will because hairy is how she was made. She has no problem getting men.

But I prefer hairless myself, it just seems cleaner, but the hair never stays shaved. I can never get it all, and it grows back within a few days of shaving .Luckily, I am blonde, so the stubble isn't too noticeable. Least being blonde is good for that. lol

And as for men, I am not a fan or hairy men. Hair on their head, face, and lower regions, sure. But hairy backs, legs, chests, and arms, not very flattering. But this is general. The current guy I like has hairy legs, and it's sexy on him. But not something I generally like--depends on the man.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 AM

313 posts, read 531,351 times
It's funny how some women are so grossed out by hair on themselves yet are intolerant of males who want to be smooth. Both men and women have leg hair, it's just social conditioning. If it was a custom for men to shave I bet they'd think natural hairy legs were gross.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
I'm a guy, and I'm content with my body hair. But back and buttocks hair on anyone is disgusting, none the less.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting rid of excess hair. One of my kids has some excess hair that I'm planning to pay for laser hair removal for, once she's past puberty. She has a one-inch wide line of black, curly hair extending downward from her belly button. This makes her feel very shy and uncomfortable. She says it hurts too much to pluck or wax it, and when she shaves it seems like three hairs grow out of each follicle. If getting rid of it will give her confidence, where's the harm in it?

On the other hand, my mother doesn't shave anything and that's her choice. I think it looks kind of gross having it all stick out of a swimsuit though.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:18 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post

Why exactly should I be ashamed for seeking to remove some or all of my body hair? After all, I have seen some biological males (including my dad) and some biological females who are much less hairy than I am even when they do not shave at all. Thus, why exactly should I have more body hair than some other people do if I vehemently dislike having body hair?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Advertising and marketing determine what will be the "norm" and then bombard us so we can become conditioned to be just like they say we should be. And of course that means buying certain products to achieve those looks. So someone long ago decided body hair was out so they could sell lots of products and over time we learned to accept that.

When I've talked to my aunt, she has told me how back in her youth they didn't obsess about body hair like they do now. It took some time to get the message out that you are not quite good enough with any hair below your head, but you finally got it. Now go out and do something about it and get rid of all that nasty hair...... it's just not natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty