Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:57 PM

409 posts, read 497,586 times

Advertisements

Even though I'm 22.

Long story short, while on a lonliness support chatroom of sorts, the topic of each other's physical appearance was brought up

Choice words were, I dress like a "45 year old banker father of 4", or "like Spongebob".

Now I know I'm certainly no looker, hell, maybe even below average but I can't see how my default dress is that out of date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Are you wearing baggy pants? Or pleated pants? That screams older. What ki d of shoes are you wearing?

Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
OP you will have to at least describe your default dress to allow people to comment

Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 AM

Hmm, my default work clothes are dockers/slacks and cotton shirts of varying fit and size. Mostly lighter, pastel colors (but nothing vibrant). I also own a few polo's. No jeans (I used to have these jeans my dad handed down to me but they were rather ill fitting and I've gotten rid of them after wearing them a year or two).

In the pics I showed them I had wire/thin framed glasses, a typical "Asian" short-hair cut (short at the sides, slightly longer at the top) and these black sneakers/running shoes that double as work shoes as they're non-descript enough to not look like sneakers.

I don't have much in casual clothes, mostly whatever's left from middle school/early high school that still fits me (I'm 5'11, 140lb) which was quite a bit since my parents bought oversized stuff with the idea that "you'll grow into them". So mainly T-shirts, sweaters, and cargo shorts. I've gotten rid of the parachute pants and sweats.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
Hmm, my default work clothes are dockers/slacks and cotton shirts of varying fit and size. Mostly lighter, pastel colors (but nothing vibrant). I also own a few polo's. No jeans (I used to have these jeans my dad handed down to me but they were rather ill fitting and I've gotten rid of them after wearing them a year or two).

In the pics I showed them I had wire/thin framed glasses, a typical "Asian" short-hair cut (short at the sides, slightly longer at the top) and these black sneakers/running shoes that double as work shoes as they're non-descript enough to not look like sneakers.

I don't have much in casual clothes, mostly whatever's left from middle school/early high school that still fits me (I'm 5'11, 140lb) which was quite a bit since my parents bought oversized stuff with the idea that "you'll grow into them". So mainly T-shirts, sweaters, and cargo shorts. I've gotten rid of the parachute pants and sweats.
Why no vibrant colours? Are you an Italian widow?
Get yourself some colourful shirts, tight black jeans (baggy is out) and maybe a cool hat. No ball caps.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Sounds really boring. You should branch into colored pants. No khaki! Try slim fit chinos in navy, green, other blues.....

Swap your polos for other shirts. How about a fitted button down? You are allowed to wear t-shirts if they fit well.

I am guessing you are a bit preppy. This site is excellent for edgier preppy. I imagine it will be too fashion forward for you, but hopefully it gives you ideas for new colors and combos.

Well now their site is a little magazine-like, so try this pic for some ideas. This is the same stuff you are wearing but looks more fashion forward due to fit.

http://streetetiquette.com/2010/09/23/the-black-ivy-2/

Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
For goodness' sake, go shopping! Get an up to date haircut. Buy some nice fitting jeans and slimmer shorts. There is some interesting stuff out there for young guys. Go find it for yourself.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 PM

What is an "up to date" haircut per se?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:30 AM

351 posts, read 586,784 times
Quote:

As the other posters have said, why such bland colors? Young adults should were bright, vibrant colors because they look so fresh and appealing on them. And as another poster suggested, try wearing fitted buttoned down shirts for a change.

Does this mean your Asian? Cause if you are, (I'm mostly Asian myself) I notice when I'm visiting areas of this country where there aren't that many Asians (unlike LA, San Francisco, etc..) like Fayetteville, North Carolina where my brother lives, Asians there (especially men) tend to dress down like they want to fade into the background and not stand out in any way. I'm totally not that! I only buy clothes for work, formal and informal occasions that are fashionable and/or what I and my friends think I look good in.

Also if you wear glasses, you might want to try contact lenses instead, or even lasik eye surgery. Asians are already stereotyped as being studious, you don't want to add to it. LOL As an aside, I used to wear eye glasses, but every since my senior year in High School, I've been wearing contact lenses. I'm planning on having the lasik surgery soon.

Why don't you try and pick up the magazine, "Details". This magazine will give you some idea of what's in vogue these days for young men's clothing and hairstyles.

Quote:
What is an "up to date" haircut per se?
That means what haircuts are in fashion or in style today. Don't scrimp by getting a cheap haircut, be willing to spend some money on a good, talented hairstylist that will cut and style your hair to complement your look's.

I must be doing something right. I still get compliments on my appearance and not just from friends, but occasionally from strangers too.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Honolulu21; 07-10-2014 at 01:38 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 AM

108 posts, read 159,762 times
Without a pic should we guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty