Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,731,749 times

Advertisements

So I needed to get some BB cream/CC Cream. I have an Iman one right now, but I wanted to see if there was something better, the color is good but not enough skin improving benefits. And my foundation right now sucks, I am sure it matched once, now it looks too dull.

Since Lupita N'yongo is the face of Lancome, I thought they'd like combine this with more colors, and they did! Last time I skimmed the Lancome counter there wasn't anything remotely in my neighborhood.

I was happy to know that I wasn't the darkest color, and the did have warm variations for most of the darkest colors. Most of the time I find they make the darker shades cool, and I have golden undertones so it looks awful. I ended up getting a perfectly matched foundation that looked totally natural. But Nordies didn't seem to have the darkest BB cream, so I couldn't try it out.

But Lancome did step up their came with their color range! And that's awesome! I hope more mainstream brands jump on the bandwagon too. So far all of the BB creams for darker women suck, and most don't have sunscreen. I've looked ashy or it has been too light.

How is finding makeup shades for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,258,750 times
It's pretty easy for me to find my shade. I get foundation or concealer from places like cvs, or the grocery store, while I'm on the run. I'm an aa woman as well for the record. I usually can find my color anywhere, without having to go to the more expensive cosmetic counters/stores. Though the color that matches me will vary-I'm usually tawny, or tan, or honey. If I want to go a shade darker for a more bronzed look I get toasty or something along that shade. My sister on the other hand is chocolate and typically has to go to the make up counter in department stores to select make up for her shade.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
My sister on the other hand is chocolate and typically has to go to the make up counter in department stores to select make up for her shade.
Exactly. I am chocolate and drugstore brands don't carry my shade or it has weirdo undertones. And I really don't want to buy 17 things, try them on at home and have to return them later. The department store is more efficient. But still, not many makeup counters have shades for me. And there are plenty of women out there who are several shades darker than I am. And I am at the top of most ranges.

There is also an assumption that chocolate means blue/cool undertones which also makes it difficult. These are the only brands that "work" for me. Or come close-ish:
Nars
MAC
Clinique
Lancome
Iman
Marc Jacobs

Everything else is out and doesn't have a suitable color. Some of those brands only have concealer or powder but not a suitable foundation.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,460,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Exactly. I am chocolate and drugstore brands don't carry my shade or it has weirdo undertones. And I really don't want to buy 17 things, try them on at home and have to return them later. The department store is more efficient. But still, not many makeup counters have shades for me. And there are plenty of women out there who are several shades darker than I am. And I am at the top of most ranges.

There is also an assumption that chocolate means blue/cool undertones which also makes it difficult. These are the only brands that "work" for me. Or come close-ish:
Nars
MAC
Clinique
Lancome
Iman
Marc Jacobs

Everything else is out and doesn't have a suitable color. Some of those brands only have concealer or powder but not a suitable foundation.
MAC Studio Fix is my tried and true go-to for foundation.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
MAC Studio Fix is my tried and true go-to for foundation.
I hate going to the MAC counter. I swear every time I go, someone is trying to give me yellow eye shadow and blue lipstick because they want to try it on someone. They are like, you have such a great skin tone....this crazy color will look amazing on you!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,426,807 times
It can be a challenge if I'm looking for a specific formulation in my skin tone, but it's mainly due to the demographics of my local area. BB cream has been easy to find for my skin tone so far, CC cream not so much, they did have it in covergirl brand, but I can't wear Cover Girl products, I find myself itching and sneezing when I try Cover Girl makeup. I rarely wear much foundation, but I do use the Maybelline BB cream in deep, which is sufficient for daily wear I probably wouldn't bother if not for the added spf it provides. Evenings, sometimes I will add a powder or some other fondation like loreal's mineral powder in soft sable, (not impressed with it at all,) or maybelline compact powder in toasted almond. I do need to find something with better shine control for when I go out in the evening, I've considered visiting a Mac counter, but, considering my area, probably won't have good luck there either.

Last edited by TRosa; 07-21-2014 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 PM

192 posts, read 320,965 times
Check out Fashion Fair as they seem to have wonderful products and recently released new shades of foundation and other make up coverage. Also consider Black Opal, Black Radiance and BH Cosmetics.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,553,767 times
I'm whitey mcwhitey pants with a dash of white sadly, so the only foundation I have found is a Korean BB cream that I get at a local Korean store. A Korean friend of mine gave me a sample and I was hooked.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,306,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I'm whitey mcwhitey pants with a dash of white sadly, so the only foundation I have found is a Korean BB cream that I get at a local Korean store. A Korean friend of mine gave me a sample and I was hooked.
Oh ditto for me, I order Misscha No. 23 and it lasts me for MONTHS.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
It can be a challenge if I'm looking for a specific formulation in my skin tone, but it's mainly due to the demographics of my local area. BB cream has been easy to find for my skin tone so far, CC cream not so much, they did have it in covergirl brand, but I can't wear Cover Girl products, I find myself itching and sneezing when I try Cover Girl makeup. I rarely wear much foundation, but I do use the Maybelline BB cream in deep, which is sufficient for daily wear I probably wouldn't bother if not for the added spf it provides. Evenings, sometimes I will add a powder or some other fondation like loreal's mineral powder in soft sable, (not impressed with it at all,) or maybelline compact powder in toasted almond. I do need to find something with better shine control for when I go out in the evening, I've considered visiting a Mac counter, but, considering my area, probably won't have good luck there either.
I typically want a build-able coverage for my couple of dark spots and blemishes. I typically only put makeup on those spots, and blend where needed. Typically i need coverage on my cheeks, around my nose and on my chin. The rest I keep bare.

CC cream is like my dream though. Basically solve my problems and give me coverage at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsunshine View Post
Check out Fashion Fair as they seem to have wonderful products and recently released new shades of foundation and other make up coverage. Also consider Black Opal, Black Radiance and BH Cosmetics.

Fashion Fair is so heavy! And I don't need more than medium coverage, otherwise I can use concealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty