Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times

Advertisements

If this thread is any indication, the vast majority of women wear little or no makeup. If this is the case why do so many men complain about women wearing too much makeup and criticize artificial looking women? Shouldn't they love the way things are now? Many men seem to be under the impression women are wearing more makeup than ever when the exact opposite could be the truth.

Sometimes friends of mine have complained about women wearing makeup...just the other day it happened to me. To their surprise i do not agree with them. In fact they get quite a mouthful from me as I have a strong preference for women wearing makeup. I worship women with the artificial look. I resent these guys because they got exactly what they wanted (if this thread is any indication) but they are trying to get the minority (if it really is a minority, maybe this thread is not representitive of real life? ) of women who still wear makeup to go plain.

Many women will say they don't care what I or any man thinks. I would argue if no men criticized makeup more women would be wearing it. Also, a lot of this has to do with the type of man who is pro or anti makeup. From my observations men who are anti-makeup are dominant alpha males. Men who like to see women wear makeup like myself are more submissive. The dominant males are getting what they want.The same reason women aren't wearing makeup is the same reason the book and soon to be movie 50 shades of grey is so popular. I wouldn't be shocked if one of the demands of the dom male in that book is the woman can't wear makeup. Our culture is moving way more male dom and less women wearing makeup is an example of this. A polished woman=power and dominant males will not stand for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
I looked at her facebook page and saw other pictures of her without makeup. While she still looks beautiful her face does look different than the photo on the article.

Her lips are definitely not that pink in her candid facebook photos and her complexion does not appear to be so perfect and rosy. And although her eyes do stand out more than most without makeup they are more faded in her real pictures. Therefore I think it has either been "enhanced" or she has on a little makeup (could be wrong). Kind of sad if they did alter it (and if she allowed it).

I wear makeup maybe 2x/week. It will usually be when my husband and I are going out to dinner or getting together with some friends. When I do wear makeup it is pretty natural looking. I wear a tinted gloss (no lipstick) a little mascara and liner (otherwise my eyes fade into my face) and some foundation since I have very reddish/pink toned skin especially around my cheeks. If I didn't have the redness I would definitely go without foundation all the time because my skin looks better without it. I use it to just tone it down a bit.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
I'm all in favor of the less makeup discussion, as a guy I am turned off by it. It's just fake to me, and I don't want to be shocked to see a woman without it later. I prefer natural beauty to masking it.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:10 AM

210 posts, read 246,065 times
Forever. I have really nice skin and break out even with hypoallergenic make up that was put on for prom many years ago lol

Old 07-28-2014, 08:10 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,166 times
How long can a woman go without makeup? In my wife's case, the answer is "A lifetime". Or at least, the rest of her life starting from some time (exactly when I do not know) before we met; if she indulged in her younger days, I never saw it. I'm happy with her in a permanently natural state--why wouldn't I be?

I think use of cosmetics has a lot to do with where you live. In Massachusetts where we are, lots of women don't bother with it and my guess is that they don't worry about it at all. As if there were some faraway tribe which has a bizarre (by our standards) beauty ritual that we hear about, but don't have any urge to copy!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:18 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
If this thread is any indication, the vast majority of women wear little or no makeup. If this is the case why do so many men complain about women wearing too much makeup and criticize artificial looking women? Shouldn't they love the way things are now? Many men seem to be under the impression women are wearing more makeup than ever when the exact opposite could be the truth.

Sometimes friends of mine have complained about women wearing makeup...just the other day it happened to me. To their surprise i do not agree with them. In fact they get quite a mouthful from me as I have a strong preference for women wearing makeup. I worship women with the artificial look. I resent these guys because they got exactly what they wanted (if this thread is any indication) but they are trying to get the minority (if it really is a minority, maybe this thread is not representitive of real life? ) of women who still wear makeup to go plain.

Many women will say they don't care what I or any man thinks. I would argue if no men criticized makeup more women would be wearing it. Also, a lot of this has to do with the type of man who is pro or anti makeup. From my observations men who are anti-makeup are dominant alpha males. Men who like to see women wear makeup like myself are more submissive. The dominant males are getting what they want.The same reason women aren't wearing makeup is the same reason the book and soon to be movie 50 shades of grey is so popular. I wouldn't be shocked if one of the demands of the dom male in that book is the woman can't wear makeup. Our culture is moving way more male dom and less women wearing makeup is an example of this. A polished woman=power and dominant males will not stand for it.
Have you ever thought that maybe the woman either chooses to wear or not to wear make-up on their own and it has nothing to do with the man "getting his way" in the matter?

No one has ever criticized me for not wearing make-up. Actually my ex husband didn't like it much and that was when I was 17. I really didn't care to wear it much either so I just stopped and never looked back.

I have only been in one relationship with a man who thought I should put make up on but that doesn't mean I put it on.

I don't want to wear make up, so I don't wear make up. My fiance doesn't care on way or the other but if he told me he would prefer me to wear make up he would just have to get over it. But like you said, some men don't prefer it, and he is one of them. He also wouldn't care if I wore it though.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
If this thread is any indication, the vast majority of women wear little or no makeup. If this is the case why do so many men complain about women wearing too much makeup and criticize artificial looking women?
This thread is an indication of nothing but the fact that women who don't wear any/much makeup to begin with are likely to respond to a thread titled, "How long can you go to without makeup."

Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn--X View Post
Yeah, this is what I was wondering. I can't relate to the OP. How did so many women get sold on makeup? That's not part of the culture where I was raised, and where I live. Makeup is just marketing. Buy, buy, buy. And the ads sell insecurity or sex appeal to get you to buy. Do that many people fall for that, that it becomes some kind of a rebellious or almost heroic act to not wear makeup?

Really can't relate.
Growing up my mom didn't wear makeup. She was one of those people who had the tube of lipstick for special occasions that was older than I am. My grandma wore lipstick to church and on other occasions when she put on her hat.

My aunt (on my mom's side) was a makeup queen. She plucked her eyebrows, and by the time I met her they were penciled in because they are nonexistent.

I've always thought that makeup adds a bit of glamour and "done-ness" to your look. And it is fun. Like coloring for adults.

That being said, I am too lazy put it on. I'll go on a makeup wave for a few days every few months, then go back to normal. Thought lately I have been pretty excited about lip color. I am not photogenic at all, and it totally helps to have some lip color. I've gone crazy and got a tinted lip crayon that stains a bit. So the color goes on stronger, and stays on for hours in a more subtle way. Who would have thought I could do a hot pink lip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You should've heard me swearing the day I discovered sparkles in my body lotion! Boy was I pissed! You'd have needed a magnifying glass to see it in the ingredients. Now I make my own lotions with no chemicals.
I love the sparkles! That is my concession to makeup on a regular day. I use a shimmery bronze highlighter in my sunscreen to add a little glow! I look so much better, and it adds 5 seconds to my morning routine. It is almost imperceptible, but takes off a few years to bring back the 20 year old glow!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:35 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,319,833 times
Come on....the girl in the picture definitely has on makeup.

eta: I wear lipgloss maybe twice a week. I absolutely LOOOOOOVE lipgloss. That's about it though. I started to wear mascara and do my lashes for a wedding back in April. It was too much work.... lol. I have relatives and friends who regularly wear makeup and look pretty too. Whether you wear it daily, monthly or rarely it should be because that's what you prefer.

Last edited by winterbird; 07-28-2014 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This 20 year old has gone over 200 days..... yes, she's closing in on one year. Look at her pic..... hard to believe, isn't it?

What's the longest you've ever gone?

She says that every girl, no matter what they look like, is typically unhappy with her appearance. Interesting little article.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/would-y...654012109.html

This is such BS, she has eyeliner on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty