Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:38 AM

419 posts, read 2,014,942 times

Advertisements

I would like to find a friendly hairstylist who will talk to me about both my hair and other topics. Though to save money, I have been going to discount salons and the people who cut my hair have all the charm and personality of a funeral director. I get good cuts sometimes but get frustrated sitting there in silence for 30 minutes. It make me ill at ease.

Do you expect or want conversation from your hairstylist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,217,128 times
I like it. It seems less awkward to me than just sitting there in silence, but hey, these days I'm looking for a good cutter...period. If I could find one who gives a good cut, she/he wouldn't have to say a word! In fact, one of my long time stylists was EXCELLENT! (She moved, however.) But she was very quiet. She opened up a little after we had gone to her for several years. I didn't care, though. She knew how to give an excellent haircut! My son and my husband went to her too.

It would be preferable to find good skill level and good personality, but again, I'd settle for skill level and I've tried the gamut from cheap to expensive and am having difficulty finding anyone.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,629,985 times
believe me SOMETIMES it's good if they don't talk because:
1. you may not want to hear about how they're boyfriend just received parole.
2. too much small talk may distract them and you end up with uneven bangs!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,383,411 times
Absolutely.

I've been fortunate to have some good stylists (er, barbers). One of my favorites was great at telling jokes. My current place is a hotbed of politics - the owner of the shop is a(n) (opposing) party wheel, but everyone running for office in the area drops by to pay their respects, and maybe get a haircut.

And I don't stick with a stylist unless their work is good; I can pay a bartender to talk to me...

Old 12-20-2007, 11:06 AM

394 posts, read 1,997,641 times
Mine talks too much. Sometimes I just want to sit and relax a bit during a haircut, not talk constantly.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:05 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,522,132 times
I really don't like to get into the stylist's business, because I do change salons about every year or 2 years (depending when I move). So, I don't get too personal.

And I don't like to talk a whole lot, because I think that distracts what they are really doing (only 1 time have I ever gotten a bad haircolor done, because she wanted to talk too much to everyone in the salon; I was going for dark blonde hair and it turned out reddish-blonde, which I didn't like, because she didn't want to pay any attention and just talked like a cackling hen all damn day! I never went there again, that's for sure!!) .

I pretty much prefer one who doesn't talk very much while doing my hair. Thanks...

Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,867,479 times
I let the hairstylist do most of the talking to try and see where she's coming from when I go the first few times.

The last two hairdressers I had:

1. One always talked about herself, complained about everything in her life, and never once asked about me and my life (just as well);
2. The second one, upon getting me settled in the chair and finding out how I wanted my hair cut and colored, promptly said,"I have no health insurance!" And proceeded to tell me how she worked part-time at three salons.

I don't know if it's a sign of the times or just out here where I live, but the roles of hairdresser and patron have reversed. In the last two years I have experienced the stylist bellyaching to me, the customer. Sometimes on a cold morning the heat isn't even turned on in the salon. Plus, some of these places are so cheap (and their prices aren't) that they don't even offer you a cup of coffee.

But a couple of weeks ago I started with a new salon and a new hairdresser - and the experience couldn't be better. I was treated nicely, the color and cut was fantastic, the woman was experienced and near my age and it made me wonder why I hadn't switched salons sooner. So there is hope and vindication out there. I wish sometimes though, there was a rating system somewhere so we could find out what salon is good, or which stylist is good. Many times it's hard to find a good hairdresser for fine hair, which I have.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:44 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,984,861 times
That's an interesting question. I would prefer silence - except that I know I'm supposed to have a conversation - so I work at it as hard as they do. But if it were one of these silent, anonymous things, that would be fine with me. I just *hate* it when they insult my hair, which tends to be dry. This seems to be more typical at the discount places. If they think I will spend more or return more frequently because they tell me my hair is dry, I can't say it has ever been successful.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:04 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,629,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
That's an interesting question. I would prefer silence - except that I know I'm supposed to have a conversation - so I work at it as hard as they do. But if it were one of these silent, anonymous things, that would be fine with me. I just *hate* it when they insult my hair, which tends to be dry. This seems to be more typical at the discount places. If they think I will spend more or return more frequently because they tell me my hair is dry, I can't say it has ever been successful.
you should try the yaya conditioner (contains genuine extract of yaya!) that ive seen at the discount places! works really well for drya hair.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:31 PM

11,558 posts, read 11,996,765 times
I prefer they pay attention to cutting/styling my hair. Too many I know *** too much and I end up with a lousy cut/style!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty