Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:42 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times

Advertisements

Surely if you were an HR manager at one time, YOU would know if this comment was inappropriate or not??? If your fellow peers don't take you seriously, I doubt is has anything to do with the length of your hair.....unless you are wearing little bows and glitter barrettes in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:44 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanResourcesGal View Post
I just got my first performance appraisal at my job. I have worked as a HR Manager for a mid sized financial company in New York City (Manhattan). He told me that the team does not take me seriously and part of the reason is my long middle of my back hair. I have always had long hair and it is the only style I know. My boss pointed out women on the management team who have short or bob style hair who look more professional. He suggested if I want to be taken more seriously I should cut my hair.

Is this sexist or good advice?

How old are you? It might be time for a change.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
He told me that the team does not take me seriously and part of the reason is my long middle of my back hair. He suggested if I want to be taken more seriously I should cut my hair.
Sounds like nonsense to me, people are taken seriously based on proven ability, and proficiency and knowledge in their field, and an ability to be focused and detail oriented. Long hair on a woman is not considered abnormal, maybe he is nit picking because there was nothing else to criticize.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:15 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I think you should take this seriously.

Does this guy have a habit of dissing women or other employees in general? I don't think he'd last, if he did. He's probably doing you a favor, by passing on good intel and does not expect you to be offended by that. I am not implying that you don't look well-groomed, or attractive; I'm sure you are both. But girls and young women in our culture are encouraged to wear their hair long, and often don't know when it's time to grow up hair-wise. Possibly your whole appearance could use a make-over to "corporate" standards: new haircut, new wardrobe, and more serious, "mature" behavior.

The excellent suggestions here, to try out a new "do" via a bun or chignon, could work for you, if you'd like to keep the longer locks for social occasions.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:44 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I can't help but remember a clerk I had. LONG hair. Always getting caught in something and shed as bad as any dog.
It didn't take but finding a couple of her hairs where they shouldn't be, that I decided she had to go.

SEXIST? No.
Good Housekeeping? Yes.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,620 times
Interesting replies so far. About half of the people say there may be some truth in the fact that my coworkers and fellow managers don't take me as seriously as they might because of my very long straight hair. Trouble is very few people are going to come right out and tell me they don't take me as seriously because of my hair; they won't take me seriously and I won't know I am not being effective. Kind of like a man who has shoulder length hair or visible neck tattoos, no one will say anything, they will just laugh behind his back. Or like a woman who smiles or giggles all the time. They face hidden discrimination.

My boss is in Operations, not in Human Resources. So he is not speaking from an HR perspective, just as a mentor trying to be honest and state his opinion. He did not tell me I had to cut my hair but just told me that the managers who are respected in the company have shorter hair cut in a business like style.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:56 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
I just got my first performance appraisal at my job. I have worked as a HR Manager for a mid sized financial company in New York City (Manhattan). He told me that the team does not take me seriously and part of the reason is my long middle of my back hair. I have always had long hair and it is the only style I know. My boss pointed out women on the management team who have short or bob style hair who look more professional. He suggested if I want to be taken more seriously I should cut my hair.

Is this sexist or good advice?
It's absolutely good advice. You should be grateful for the honesty and the fact he wasn't too afraid of being called sexist to give it to you. If you are very young, then long hair just makes you look more girlish. If you are older, then it just looks unprofessional. Take a look at pictures of successful women in business and politics and you will see that they rarely have long hair. Shoulder length is fine, though. You also want to get a good cut that looks styled and professional. Check your clothes, too - try to emulate the more successful women in your company. He may have stopped short of bringing that up because he doesn't know anything about women's clothes or because he was afraid of crossing too far over the line. This is guy is really trying to help you and he's putting himself out there a little bit to do it. To me, he sounds like a pretty good mentor. Listen to him.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:59 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
As long as your hair is styled neatly and appropriately, the length of it is irrelevant. If it is trimmed regularly to prevent the ends getting ratty, washed and kept looking healthy, then it is not an issue. As long as your hair isn't cut in the same way it was when you were 12 and you don't wear it in styles that make you look like you're 12 (ie: pigtails) then there is nothing wrong with long hair in a professional environment.

Your "mentor" is being ridiculous and your attitude and behavior is what should be garnering you respect from others, not the length of your hair.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:21 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
How about posting a picture of your back?

Wow, that sounds weird.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
If their is a cultural reason for maintaining a long style, then by all means, maintain it.

In a professional environment, I found myself keeping my hair pulled back in a bun or ponytail during work hours. One day, I realized my years of flavor-of-the-month hair coloring was destroying and changing my hair.

I let my hair go to its natural color, which happens to be salt and pepper; and, I cut it short - a short bob. I sat in the chair, and asked for short and sassy. That's what I got. It was traumatic. Id have to say I cried afterward.

I had always loved my long hair of many colors, but the ponytail/bun thingy was giving me daily headaches. I had always thought having my hair cut short would make my head look small. Sad, but true.

The reaction I got from the world was overwhelming. Id drop something, and suddenly a nearby teenager was helping me pick it up. People, especially men, seemed more respectful. Everyone at work had nothing but compliments - good compliments, like "smart", "very professional", and stuff like that.

Oddly, now that I have chosen the short side, I like it better. It literally takes 5 minutes to style in the morning. It is much lighter and the headaches from the long hair are now gone. And, guess what? My head doesnt look any smaller, and Im told I have the neck for a short style, lol.

Id recommend anyone trying a short style. You really want to look professional? Loose the makeup and nails too. Make your skirts and dresses fall at your knee, and leave the 4" heels for the nights at the club.

Chinos??!! I always hated chinos. Now, they are my best friend too.

Dont knock something till you try it.

P.S. Check out Miranda in The Devil Wears Prada. Merle Streep is a 'professional' goddess in that movie. ^.^

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 08-01-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty