Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:01 AM

477 posts, read 508,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Please forgive me for discussing fashion in the....(gasp)....fashion and beauty forum.
A person is no less "beautiful" for choosing to dress as they please. Style is WAY more pertinent than "fashion", which comes and goes. If someone's style is capris pants and heels - as long as they are happy with that, there is no issue.

For many years, a certain shade of green was highly fashionable in Europe. It was achieved by using arsenic liberally - and the clothing that was dyed this shade was quite literally poisonous.

In this day and age, I hope that an enlightened (hopefully) and better educated (definitely) and more independent and self-reliant (yes!) generation of women can decide for themselves what is comfortable, safe, and beautiful on their own, without having to kowtow to the whims of "fashion".

Dresses are not required. Heels are not required. Skirts are not required. None of those things are precluded, either. If you want to wear heels - go ahead. I'm not going to denigrate someone for that. I probably won't even notice.

Unless and until they start telling me *I* need to wear them (or not) to conform to THEIR idea of what is "fashionable". And especially when someone denigrates a woman wearing something she is clearly comfortable in - or was until someone went "ewwww!".

Feel free to ignore me. I'm way too old, saggy, weathered, and worn to ever elicit anything but the "ewww!" reaction from a certain segment of the population anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 01:35 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Is it fashionably acceptable to wear heels? Wedges?
Most definitely! I think heels accentuate the quarter length pants even more. Flats just make capris look.. like we're modern indentured servants ready to shine shoes.

White capris with white heels are pretty.

Jean capris with tan heels look very nice.

Black capris with black heels are cute too.

Definitely jean capris with skin tone heels has a soft look.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:41 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ugh fingertip length tunics and mile wide trouser jeans? Why not just tell her to hide in a muumuu and be done with it.

This women looks to be bigger than the OP and still looks great in straight leg jeans and a normal sized shirt.

Pin by sandra diaz on Fashion | Pinterest

Once again anyone with a less than perfect body does not need to drown it in fabric.
I said with leggings or skinny jeans not wide leg pants

Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Capris are never OK to wear, IMO. They're just terrible looking. They make short women look even shorter and make tall women look like amputees

Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Capris are never OK to wear, IMO. They're just terrible looking. They make short women look even shorter and make tall women look like amputees
I mostly agree with you. But if you insist on wearing them - especially those semi faded flared out at the shin looking ones - skip the TENNIS shoes and socks.

If I want the short pant look, I'll wear a knee length nicer looking Bermuda type shorts/pant. With nice sandals.

The original poster looked good in the skirt. I think its the tightness of those capris that made them look bad too. And the jeans just looked too hot. Maybe its because I am in south texas? The thought of wearing jeans now - yuck.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
OP here, thanks guys! Who knew I looked so good in a skirt lol. I honestly rarely wear them because 1) need for uncomfortable shoes and 2) my legs are so white they might blind someone. But now I will definitely re-think this.

But yeah, no I'm not going to burn any of my clothes. I just hope to have a need to buy smaller sizes in the near future and now I will lean more towards skirts and less toward bad fitting/looking jeans.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
OP here, thanks guys! Who knew I looked so good in a skirt lol. I honestly rarely wear them because 1) need for uncomfortable shoes and 2) my legs are so white they might blind someone. But now I will definitely re-think this.

But yeah, no I'm not going to burn any of my clothes. I just hope to have a need to buy smaller sizes in the near future and now I will lean more towards skirts and less toward bad fitting/looking jeans.
You looked great in the skirt! And do not worry about being too white but embrace it like style icon Dita Von Teese. She dresses mostly in vintage but her styling is lovely.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:01 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Hey guys, I just had to show you, I'm so excited, I got into the skirt that's been hanging in my closet that I couldn't get into! You probably hate these shoes too, oh well!

I've learned one thing about myself through this thread. I DO care if I'm wearing something that's out of style and may need someone to tell me, hey that's out of style, no one wears that, you look dumb. But just because a few people might think my shoes or pants are ugly, I DON'T care, because I think they're cute (and comfy!)OK to wear heels with capri jeans?-20140808_064123.jpeg
OK to wear heels with capri jeans?-20140808_064054.jpeg

Old 08-08-2014, 08:45 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Hey, shoes MUST be comfy! And yours look just fine - you look cute!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:16 AM

513 posts, read 736,560 times
Quote: Capris are never OK to wear, IMO. They're just terrible looking. They make short women look even shorter and make tall women look like amputees Unquote.

Gosh, I agree. And it's almost impossible to find pants around here for summer that are not capris. I don't think they're flattering to anyone--maybe children who look cute in anything! I had one capri outfit (because I couldn't find anything else) that I did wear tennis shoes with, caught a look at myself in a full-length mirror, and never wore them again! When I ask people why they like them, they say "Well, they're cooler than pants." Do you really think 6 inches of fabric make you that much hotter?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty