Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:20 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Agree overall except for the notion of camouflaging. Wearing a longer shirt is not going to make anyone think she is slimmer. The most important rule, big or small is FIT and there is no need to wear baggy clothes to "hide" anything. It doesn't fool anyone. It just looks matronly.

I think the problem with the capris especially is the FIT. Good jeans, even for bigger girls, do not need to be baggy or loose. Trouser jeans particularly tend to be flared from the thigh down, this would make take the widest part of the OPs leg and make it look like her whole legs are that width. Not a good idea IMO.

But I do think she should go get some jeans that are a. a dark wash, b. straighter leg, c. are the right length. and finally d. fit really well.
That's a lot to ask of a jean! Especially for someone who is short! Oy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 05:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Fixing the length is easy! Get the thigh to fit, and pocket placement right and a tailor can fix the rest!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I am horrible at guessing people's sizes, but you can peep my profile pics. I am making a huge assumption, that you are in a bra size like 38DD or something similar. And you are probably fairly similar to my size on top. I wear a 34H (roughly). I doubt you need a band any bigger than 36, and that is probably pushing it. You probably could use 32 or 34 in a bigger cup (Maybe a 32G or so). Check out the measuring guide, and see where you end up. If my guess is right, send me a PM and I'll shoot you some recommendations for brands!
Sorry to say but yeah you are horrible at that lol! My boobs are not nearly as big as you think. I wear a 38B. Now you could say I might be wearing the wrong size, but I just don't think I belong in anything near a DD. To be fair, in these pics, I'm wearing my flimsiest, thinnest bra because I'm just lounging right now and I was changing in between those clothes and my lounging clothes. I usually wear a more flattering bra, either with more padding or lift or both.

I went out and got a couple new tops, I'll take a pic with a different bra so you can see what I'm talking about. Sorry to those who think I should wear a tunic. Couldn't find one.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
Quote:
I prefer those light wash jeans over my dark wash jeans because the light wash are form fitting, and the dark are a little baggy/bulky looking.

OK, here's a skirt. Attachment 133981
We have a winner! This look is nice and you pull off the sleeveless blouse beautifully!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry to say but yeah you are horrible at that lol! My boobs are not nearly as big as you think. I wear a 38B. Now you could say I might be wearing the wrong size, but I just don't think I belong in anything near a DD. To be fair, in these pics, I'm wearing my flimsiest, thinnest bra because I'm just lounging right now and I was changing in between those clothes and my lounging clothes. I usually wear a more flattering bra, either with more padding or lift or both.

I went out and got a couple new tops, I'll take a pic with a different bra so you can see what I'm talking about. Sorry to those who think I should wear a tunic. Couldn't find one.
I think your band might be too big! But one thing to remember, that cup size is totally proportional. So for example a 28DD is actually smaller in volume than you are! We have this weird idea that all DD is the same...there is a lot of variation!

Just for fun, these ladies are Ds! 30D Bra Search | Bra Band Project

A smaller band could work better. It is a little tricky when you are in the volume range for the "regular" sizes, because they kinda keep pushing you up into a size they sell (I am looking at you Victoria's Secret) to fit the cup, when you could do better in a different size! If you but on your brea with better lift, and you find the underwire is not lying flat or your breasts slip out through the day, then the band is too big!

Quote:
Sorry to those who think I should wear a tunic. Couldn't find one.
You only need a tunic with skinny pants. Otherwise stick to stuff that ends just below the waist. But not too far....then your butt will look out of proportion! But definitely highlight your waist!

Oh and this would be a great shaped dress for you! (Get a lower neckline though!)
http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/plea.../101855138/150

Old 08-04-2014, 05:39 PM

OK to wear heels with capri jeans?-20140804_163357.jpeg

So here's new top with better bra. You can probably see the bra because the top is sheer. I was planning to wear something under it. Yay or nay? (on the something under it).

Forgot to hold in tummy for pic!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:41 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times
Quote:
Do you have a Lane Bryant near you? Some people might not like the fit of their jeans, but I think it's important to at least try on their different shapes of pants (for different body shapes) to see how it can completely change your look.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think your band might be too big! But one thing to remember, that cup size is totally proportional. So for example a 28DD is actually smaller in volume than you are! We have this weird idea that all DD is the same...there is a lot of variation!

Just for fun, these ladies are Ds! 30D Bra Search | Bra Band Project
Thanks Jade, I probably do need an in-person consultation with a bra expert. I've always wanted to do that. That is weird though that those pics are D. When I think D, I think Dolly Parton.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Attachment 133998

So here's new top with better bra. You can probably see the bra because the top is sheer. I was planning to wear something under it. Yay or nay? (on the something under it).

Forgot to hold in tummy for pic!
Much better bra. Does the underwire lay flat on your sternum? If so, they the bra fits well, if there is gapping then you want to go down a band/up a cup for a better fit! I.e. if that bra is a 38B, then the 36C would be better most likely. It looks a bit high from the angle of your picture, so it isn't clear if you have any gaping up top.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jade, I probably do need an in-person consultation with a bra expert. I've always wanted to do that. That is weird though that those pics are D. When I think D, I think Dolly Parton.
It is highly recommended! It is amazing how different I look in a poorly fitting bra and a well fitting one!

Norsdtroms does a pretty good job. Lingerie stores are hit or miss, so you want to check your local reviews. But if you can find one with a huge size range, like 28A to 44K your odds of getting a good fitting are really high! The ones that have the typical size range of 32A to 38DD or so tend to do horrible jobs fitting because they want you to by a bra in a size they sell.

Also, SOMA has a decent selection for an American brand. If you know the things to look for, in a well fitting bra, that shop might work really well for you! I think you are in their size range, but they might steer you, with their measuring technique, to a band that is too big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Do you have a Lane Bryant near you? Some people might not like the fit of their jeans, but I think it's important to at least try on their different shapes of pants (for different body shapes) to see how it can completely change your look.
Their fit sucks though never flattering pocket placement. Here are my suggestions OP...

Not sure where you live, but if you live in a big metro area, then go to the crappy Macy's. You know the one where they never clean up the store, and they have the hip hop brands, like Apple Bottoms, Rocawear and Baby Phat. You can just call and ask if they stock any of those brands. These Macy's stores always have the widest selection of jeans. It sounds silly but it is true!

Don't go to the posh neighborhood Macy's, they don't have many brands. Or more accurately many brand with a wide range of body shapes in mind (i.e. for people that have a bigger gap between their waist/hips or thighs/waist). These stores usually have Levis, and then a few premium brands that are cut for straighter figure types.

Now if you don't have a variety of Macy's available, then you should try Lane Bryant and Torrid. And try on all the jeans there. Torrid jeans are cut for teens, so you'll likely find a horrible fit at the waist, but that is easy to get tailored.

Also, try the Gap Outlet. Gap Outlet has more cuts than the Gap store for some reason. Ann Taylor outlets too. These are actually better bets than Lane Bryant and Torrid.

Also, last tip, try to find brands of jeans that have a Curvy fit (like INC at Macy's and Bloomies, some fits at the Gap, Ann Taylor). The curvy jeans have a smaller waist but roomier thigh/hip area. They tend to fit pretty well.

Skip Old Navy. They have lots of cuts, but sizing is so inconsistent there, you might find your perfect pants, try on like 6 pairs in the same cut and same size and find they all fit differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty