Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I wouldn't wear either type of shoe at all, but if you like them, wear them with whatever you want. And to the person (or people) who have posted pictures of themselves in capris only to be derided - poof to the haters. Again, WEAR WHAT YOU WANT and what you are comfortable with. I don't care if you weigh 400 lbs, as long as things aren't disappearing up your crack (which I cannot imagine would be comfortable) WEAR WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH.

Heck with it. Even if things ARE disappearing up your crack, wear what you want. Why would my opinion matter at all? I'm mature enough to keep it to myself. No one is going to hear snide remarks out of me. And everyone else should keep their opinions to themselves unless - and sometimes even if - asked.
Umm, this IS the fashion and beauty forum afterall.

People ask for advice and they receive it. There is nothing wrong with providing constructive criticism in order to help a person to look and feel their most beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:32 PM

477 posts, read 507,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Embrace your feminine side....start wearing dresses/skirts, brighter colors and cuter shoes

Everything that you tried on was very dark and drab.

Don't be afraid to look like a girl

Here's a great blog for stylish curvy girls (but anyone can be inspired by the blogger's amazing style)

GIRL WITH CURVES

And another great style blog

Share Happy :: Kivet print & Honeycomb sandals : Wendy's Lookbook
I wouldn't be caught dead in a dress or a skirt. And I'm not a girl - I don't think anyone who has posted on this thread is a "girl".

We are WOMEN. And we LOOK LIKE WOMEN no matter what we wear (unless we don't WANT to look like a woman and are trying to look like a man, and more power to those of us, as well).

If you like skirts and dresses, by all means, wear 'em. But you don't NEED to wear skirts and dresses to look and be feminine.

I like bright colors, but some people don't. You're allowed not to like them - as long as you don't expect me to conform to your likes and dislikes. Nor do others have to conform to my preferences.

I think many people - and I don't hesitate to admit that a disproportionate number of them are women, and even actual girls - are way to obsessed with their clothes, hair, appearance, etc.

As for shoes - haven't worn 'em unless forced in over 30 years. I wear Teva sandals. The rafting sort. These are the safest, non-slippiest shoes I have ever owned and I won't wear anything else. I even wear them in the winter, as long as I don't have to wade through snow. They are comfortable, last forever, and are safe.

Heels, by contrast, are uncomfortable, unstable, bad for your feet, and DON'T wear well. I eschew that sort of shoe, thank you very much. I don't think wearing heels makes you look more "girly" or feminine or anything else, and even if they did - I'm still not wearing them. They hurt your feet. And should you have the need, heaven forfend, to run - you're not doing it in those heels.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I wouldn't be caught dead in a dress or a skirt. And I'm not a girl - I don't think anyone who has posted on this thread is a "girl".

We are WOMEN. And we LOOK LIKE WOMEN no matter what we wear (unless we don't WANT to look like a woman and are trying to look like a man, and more power to those of us, as well).

If you like skirts and dresses, by all means, wear 'em. But you don't NEED to wear skirts and dresses to look and be feminine.

I like bright colors, but some people don't. You're allowed not to like them - as long as you don't expect me to conform to your likes and dislikes. Nor do others have to conform to my preferences.

I think many people - and I don't hesitate to admit that a disproportionate number of them are women, and even actual girls - are way to obsessed with their clothes, hair, appearance, etc.

As for shoes - haven't worn 'em unless forced in over 30 years. I wear Teva sandals. The rafting sort. These are the safest, non-slippiest shoes I have ever owned and I won't wear anything else. I even wear them in the winter, as long as I don't have to wade through snow. They are comfortable, last forever, and are safe.

Heels, by contrast, are uncomfortable, unstable, bad for your feet, and DON'T wear well. I eschew that sort of shoe, thank you very much. I don't think wearing heels makes you look more "girly" or feminine or anything else, and even if they did - I'm still not wearing them. They hurt your feet. And should you have the need, heaven forfend, to run - you're not doing it in those heels.

Wow....just WOW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JigBfoDtzY

Old 08-05-2014, 06:39 PM

706 posts, read 1,177,274 times
Quote:

Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
Quote:
I do understand the persons response. It appears as if you think that femininity is tied to wearing skirts or dresses. It's not. My sister never wears skirts or dresses (she has a bad burn running the length of one leg) but she is no less feminine for not being comfortable in skirts or dresses.

Gender and gender roles really are not a function of clothing at all, and if someone enjoys dresses great but if you tell them they need to wear your idea of feminine clothes to look "girly" that is off putting and insulting to many people including some of us who do wear dresses.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I do understand the persons response. It appears as if you think that femininity is tied to wearing skirts or dresses. It's not. My sister never wears skirts or dresses (she has a bad burn running the length of one leg) but she is no less feminine for not being comfortable in skirts or dresses.

Gender and gender roles really are not a function of clothing at all, and if someone enjoys dresses great but if you tell them they need to wear your idea of feminine clothes to look "girly" that is off putting and insulting to many people including some of us who do wear dresses.
My comment was directed specifically at the OP who actually did have on a skirt in one of her pics. It wasn't an indictment of the femininity of women who don't wear dresses.

The other poster's response was a bit over the top with the bra burning, "I am woman hear me roar" rhetoric. This is the fashion and beauty forum not a NOW meeting; it really is NOT that serious.

Please forgive me for discussing fashion in the....(gasp)....fashion and beauty forum.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,497,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Attachment 133978

How 'bout this, I shudder to ask...
If you like the jeans kinda look...you should get some pants that have the same look...similarly to this....looks much better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqYWpzb65rE

or better yet, go with these pants here...different colors will look radiant on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSzR6-PvWEM

Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
Quote:
My comment was directed specifically at the OP who actually did have on a skirt in one of her pics. It wasn't an indictment of the femininity of women who don't wear dresses.

The other poster's response was a bit over the top with the bra burning, "I am woman hear me roar" rhetoric. This is the fashion and beauty forum not a NOW meeting; it really is NOT that serious.

Please forgive me for discussing fashion in the....(gasp)....fashion and beauty forum.
Yes fashion. And fashion for the last 100 years has shown again and sign the women need not wear skirts and dresses to be feminine. You are the one who should brush up if you are going to try to hide behind the "it's the fashion forum" card. And belittling others who call you out on your misogyny says far more about you than it does about them.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes fashion. And fashion for the last 100 years has shown again and sign the women need not wear skirts and dresses to be feminine. You are the one who should brush up if you are going to try to hide behind the "it's the fashion forum" card. And belittling others who call you out on your misogyny says far more about you than it does about them.
Nope, sorry. I'm not a misogynist....or feminist.

Le sigh at not being able to talk "style" "fashion" (or say the word "girl") on a fashion forum.

Oh well, a few new names for the ignore list.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM

4,488 posts, read 4,962,957 times
5 pages about heels and Capri jeans....
I had to look and it didn't disappoint.

OP the skirt was beautiful on you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty