Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM

300 posts, read 438,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Khakis and a polo shirt in warmer weather from me, too.

I disagree with Blu4u on the no track shoes. If you're around wet cement floors, you'll need shoes with traction and I wear hiking boots with decent insoles when I'm at the shelter (for safety) and because of the concrete floors.

It's possible to find running shoes in plain colors. I have a plain black pair that I can use for business casual. Honestly, I get more garbage about sandals than black running shoes.
Yes, It's important to have the correct footwear for the job. If you're on the manufacturing floor, construction site, shelter, then you should wear shoes that are safe for the conditions.

I find it hard to find "plain" track shoes which aren't all white. Rockport and merill make a "walking shoe" that are comfy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
I find it hard to find "plain" track shoes which aren't all white. Rockport and merill make a "walking shoe" that are comfy.
Rockport makes plain black ones (or did last year, at least). I also hit DSW (Discount Shoe Warehouse) in late October or so (sale time) and find black ones in some off brands.

It's a safety issue for us. Rubber soles are encouraged. I don't like to see running shoes with screaming neon streaks in an office, either, but I pick my battles. Our division doesn't deal with the public.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:39 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerinsmom View Post
Hi All,

I am starting a new job in administration for a humane society and would like to have thoughts on what to wear. So of course since it is a humane society you don't want to wear anything that you wouldn't want to wear something that you mind have fur or dog prints on. On the other hand, I will be meeting with vendors and other outside parties so I don't want to wear jeans and a t-shirt. I am currently working in an office that has a business casual dress code and mostly wear skirts and blouses. Any suggestions? A few friends have advised me to wear jeans but I have an issue with them being too tight- I think that is fine on the weekend but not for work. I appreciate any suggestions and pictures that you want to share.
You don't want to wear anything that would prevent your from jumping in and physically interacting with the animals. In other words practical.

I would actually go with a suggestion from another thread, and pick up some trouser jeans in a dark rinse. And, I cannot overstate the use of a nice sturdy chino, in more practical (aka dark) colors like black, hunter green, etc. There seems to be an unspoken uniform at many non-profits that have anything to do with animals or the environment that includes green, brown, khaki neutrals. Seriously, olive green chinos or cords, long sleeve neutral colored shirt, and a fleece jacket/vest from north face or patagonia. Oh and hiking boot looking sneakers. I actually think a sturdy shoe with a vibram sole might be a good idea in your situation.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:29 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerinsmom View Post
Hi All,

I am starting a new job in administration for a humane society and would like to have thoughts on what to wear. So of course since it is a humane society you don't want to wear anything that you wouldn't want to wear something that you mind have fur or dog prints on. On the other hand, I will be meeting with vendors and other outside parties so I don't want to wear jeans and a t-shirt. I am currently working in an office that has a business casual dress code and mostly wear skirts and blouses. Any suggestions? A few friends have advised me to wear jeans but I have an issue with them being too tight- I think that is fine on the weekend but not for work. I appreciate any suggestions and pictures that you want to share.
I can't speak for your humane society, but in mine people wear semi-casual pants and tops, but not jeans (unless they are doing some really dirty work). Not slacks and blouses, but more like casual non-jean pants with a tunic top or wrap top or jersey top (but not a T), and boots or low-heeled/flat shoes. I wouldn't wear jeans to any job no matter what I was told, especially if I'd be meeting outside vendors. It just doesn't seem serious.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I'm supposed to wear business casual but I'm also expected to climb on roof tops if necessary and crawl around in mechanical rooms which are dirty and full of cobwebs. I wear khaki's or navy khakis (if that makes any sense) and a collar shirt. Because I can get away with it I'll wear colorful tank tops with usually a men's shirt or print blouse untucked and open a little at the collar to show the tank top (or other solid color coordinating shirt). Sometimes I do wear jeans but I'm with you on the tight pants thing. I'm slim but still I'd rather have a shirt/jacket covering my butt.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 PM

300 posts, read 438,603 times
I sport the mens shirt look too. It's good a look. Normally wider in the shoulder and longer in the sleave and tail. leaving the top three un bottoned with contrasting cami or tank and nice neclace makes it "ladly like"

Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I would dress nicely the first day or two, until you get the feel of the place. And keep a lint roller in your desk for the pet hair!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 AM

154 posts, read 388,097 times
Thanks everyone- you have given me some very good ideas. I think cotton pants in different colors, knit or button downs would be good and dark denim trousers. And I also like the idea of scarves and other jewelry may be nice. When I went to visit, I actually sat around the conference table holding a kitten that was fascinated with my necklace. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty