Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 PM

137 posts, read 352,293 times

Advertisements

I am looking to try a new approach for my next semester of college. What are the essential items that I would need to purchase to have a basic but nice full wardrobe. And as far as repeating the same outfit, what is the usual timeframe? 2-3 weeks?
I have been reading and taking notes from this fashion guide:
Men's Fashion Basics - Fashion Advice For Beginners By FashionBeans

I am on part 3 right now but I hope to finish all 100 parts sometime tonight.

I was thinking that there are a few general areas to consider which are:
- undershirts
- T-shirts (short-sleeve & long-sleeve)
- pants (jeans, trousers,
- jackets (jumpers, cardigans, blazers, waistcoats,
- accessories (ties, watches, scarfs, gloves, bracelets [for hands, ankles], rings, necklaces, shades, glasses, belts, braces, hats,
- footwear (dress shoes, boots, running shoes, sandals, socks,

I do not think all of these will apply to me since I live in a constantly hot climate but that is what I was able to pull from the series in the link above.

So, what essential items (and colors) should I get in your opinion? Things to consider:

cost -> I would like to keep this as affordable as possible. I do have around five to six thousand dollars to spend on this new project of mine. But if I can keep this under one thousand then that would be great as well.

space -> I also would like to buy as few items of clothing as possible as well given the project I will be participating in and my future lack of space. I was thinking that if I buy the best quality items of a good solid base of clothing with the appropriate colors then it will be sufficient and I can mix and match without repeating the same thing for about three weeks. If that is asking too much then maybe I could go without repeating for two weeks.

Some companies that I think I will visit this weekend to do this are: (I am still in Madison, WI for now)
1. Men's Workwear, Women's Workwear, Work Clothing
^ store in Mt. Horeb about one hour from me
2. Land's End, Eddie Bauer, Northface
^ at Hilldale Mall about 20 minutes from

I am choosing these stores because they have lifetime guarantees which to me indicates they stand behind their product no matter what.

So, what are your thoughts on this. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,197 times
Go to Goodwill. Rock old rock and roll t-shirts, plain white, red and black t-shirts, "destructive" Abercrombie and Fitch jeans and some nice kicks and you'll be good to go.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 AM

I have been wearing the same clothes for years and it really isn't that big a deal. However there are negatives about this habit. It could be my grooming but it seems like old clothing starts to smell more quickly than newer clothing. It also picks up and retains more dirt, sweat, etc.

But I do shop at thrift stores and Goodwill type stores when I am about to travel abroad and will not mind if something happens to the clothing.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:18 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
Please visit www.unabashedlyprep.com and then go to Goodwill.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 PM

that is two votes for Goodwill, I am headed there then to at least scope the place out. I didn't know this was such a popular place.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:37 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright1 View Post
that is two votes for Goodwill, I am headed there then to at least scope the place out. I didn't know this was such a popular place.
I've got a stack of premium jeans from there (A&F, Levis, Converse, American Eagle, Aeropostale) and dozens of Ralph Lauren Polos from there.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Just returned from Goodwill. I am very new to shopping since normally it is something that I abhor. I will have to check out Duluth, and the other stores I mentioned above to compare before I make up my mind. I got a headache after about 15 minutes of looking through so many clothes.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:15 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
OP, it's like work. Or an assignment. That will save you a lot of money. Only stupid rich men 'don't shop'. Poor men still shop after they get rich. Learn the habits of the rich man now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty