Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:26 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I have dark hair and in my 20's was in a few movies and did modeling. I think part of it has to do with the fact there is a stereotype about blondes and how men prefer it. They don't.

I do. Don't speak for all men, please.

Lately there are more brunettes and fake brunettes on TV. That may have been true in the 60s ad 70s, but less so now.

Hell, even "Charlies Angels" had two brunettes and one blonde!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
The Five, Fox News, you have two talented, hard working beauty's on their everyday, their on two different shows.

Annie Parisse: The Following

Eva Green: Penny Dreadful and Sin City, A dame to kill for

Caitriona Balfe: Outlander

just to name a few, lol...
Lol, as if I watch Fox News.

The others don't count. For example, Eva Green is Jewish. This is like people trying to stump Eddie Trunk

To address a different reply...
Quote:
Lately there are more brunettes and fake brunettes on TV. That may have been
true in the 60s ad 70s, but less so now.
Could be so, but non-ethnic white authentic brunettes haven't become more common on TV.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You don't know many Jewish or Mediterranean women, do you?

I just got back from Israel. Plenty of natural blondes and redheads (which matches my friends and family). My younger brother & uncle are blonde and Jewish.

There's this idea that everyone in the Middle East is dark complexioned, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Look at images of Syrian refugee camps - plenty of blonde and light brown hair and blue/green eyes. Same with Lebanon. Same with Palestine.
There's a false notion that I'm the kind of racist white person who has hardly known any Jews and thinks they're not even white. I've met possibly hundreds of American Jews. Only maybe 4 (some possibly part-Jewish) with light hair. (Also one or two who had red hair when younger, I think.) I have seen from TV that some Middle-Eastern people are not dark complexioned (beyond sun-bleaching of hair) and someone hinted at it to me privately last year, but apparently American Jews are quite stereotypical in appearance. I'm less knowledgeable about the darkness of Italians in America off the TV screen, although I suspect the majority is typically dark Sicilian.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:17 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
There's a false notion that I'm the kind of racist white person who has hardly known any Jews and thinks they're not even white. I've met possibly hundreds of American Jews. Only maybe 4 (some possibly part-Jewish) with light hair. (Also one or two who had red hair when younger, I think.) I have seen from TV that some Middle-Eastern people are not dark complexioned (beyond sun-bleaching of hair) and someone hinted at it to me privately last year, but apparently American Jews are quite stereotypical in appearance. I'm less knowledgeable about the darkness of Italians in America off the TV screen, although I suspect the majority is typically dark Sicilian.
I work in a Jewish institution. I went to a Jewish-founded university where half of the population is Jewish. Do you really want to try to one-up me? Right now, at this very moment, I am working in a room with 20 people. Out of those 20, 15 are Jewish. Out of that 15, 6 are either blonde or a redhead (or were before they greyed). The 5 white non-Jews? All brunettes because brunettes are more common anyway.

I am Jewish, but not Middle Eastern. Most American Jews trace their roots back to Europe. My Lithuanian and Ukrainian great grandparents ranged in their coloring. One was a redhead, the rest were brunettes but had siblings and parents who were blondes.

Knowing "hundreds of Jews" is cute, though.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:09 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
But don't just take my word on it... since you seem to be very focused on the screen, what about Sarah Michelle Geller, the recently deceased Lauren Bacall, Goldie Hawn, Carol Kane, Woody Allen (a redhead), Lisa Kudrow, Natasha Lyonne, Liev Schrieber, Debra Messing, Evan Rachel Wood, Romola Garai, Lauren Collins and Seth Green to name a few (and I only selected from actors whose parents are both Jewish). Not every Jew looks like Idina Menzel or Adrian Brody. I mean, Bar Rafaeli's coloring was very common in her native Israel. One of the Israelis I met looked shockingly similar - and then I heard her speaking Spanish on the phone and she mentioned that one set of grandparents lived in Argentina and the other in Uruguay (since I also notice you seem to think all Latin Americans are dark, which is silly)! Bar Refaeli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most Jews are brunettes, but that's also true of the general population. Aside from a few Scandinavian countries, most people from any background are brunettes. And I didn't feel like I stood out with my dark hair and eyes in Iceland, despite certainly a higher than usual population of blondes and redheads.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Lol, as if I watch Fox News.

The others don't count. For example, Eva Green is Jewish. This is like people trying to stump Eddie Trunk

To address a different reply...

Could be so, but non-ethnic white authentic brunettes haven't become more common on TV.

Lol. Nice!

Old 08-22-2014, 12:45 PM

I didn't realize a few of those as Jewish, due to names and coloring (EVR is not Jewish on both sides and I suspect neither is Lauren Collins). I can't explain why I've met so few light-colored Jews in person. By the way, I don't think all Latin Americans are dark - Brazil, for example, has many light-colored people.

But as you say at the end, most people - maybe you mean most white women also - are natural brunettes. What's represented on American TV among young women is not like the real world, which is what I've been shouting. It's like on TV, almost all natives who can convincingly go blonde do it (which most Jews and Mediterraneans can't). Also, I have a hunch that blonde hair isn't much aspired to among Italian-Americans and Greek-Americans.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:19 PM

93 posts, read 154,107 times
Camilla Belle
Anne Hathaway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty