Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Uh, oh. Yesterday I carried a very expensive purse, a gift from a friend who has a MUCH bigger bank balance than mine.... and wore sandals I bought at Walmart. For some reason she's not buying me shoes for my birthday. Maybe I should let her know I need to match? Are the fashion police checking these things? Do I need to carry bail money?
Were your flip flops broken? If not I don't see what the issue is. I noticed the state of her shoes, not the brand/price. They were hanging on by a thread! Literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Were your flip flops broken? If not I don't see what the issue is. I noticed the state of her shoes, not the brand/price. They were hanging on by a thread! Literally.
I understand where you are coming from. It was very discongruent. It would be like seeing a man in a very nice tailored suit but with stains all over it. It would seem odd for someone to take such obvious care in their appearance, except that last 10%

Otoh, life happens. It is entirely possible she had shoes on that went with the look and the straps broke and she just happened to have the beat up ones in her car.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I have some expensive handbags. I got them at house sales or second-hand stores because I'm able to recognize quality. I've kept them all my life so even now when I don't have money to be buying expensive shoes, I still carry them. It never occurred to me that a stranger observing me on an escalator would "hate" me because my Versace bag was more expensive than my Target shoes.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:31 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
The added information didn't help any. You seem even more judgmental (hatin' on scanners at Target?) and appear to be rather obsessed with brands.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I have some expensive handbags. I got them at house sales or second-hand stores because I'm able to recognize quality. I've kept them all my life so even now when I don't have money to be buying expensive shoes, I still carry them. It never occurred to me that a stranger observing me on an escalator would "hate" me because my Versace bag was more expensive than my Target shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
The added information didn't help any. You seem even more judgmental (hatin' on scanners at Target?) and appear to be rather obsessed with brands.
Not exactly, many of my fave outfits are from target and kohls. My "concern" for the young woman on the elevator was related to the state of her shoes, not the price. She had on a nice outfit and shoes that were sloppy because they were falling apart. The target guy's clothing was sloppy for work with frats, dirt and wrinkles.

You can look nice on any budget and part of that includes the condition of your clothing. It used to be that when people had pricy stuff they also cared a lot about their overall package and the condition of the stuff. That was a long time tip to appear more put together, along with tailoring.

It feels like there is no longer a correlation between the two. It's pretty analogous to the over casualization of the workplace. Dressing casual at work used to mean nice jeans and a nice top. Now it means yoga pants, a hoodie and your paint the house t-shirt.

PS I thought this thread could be an interesting counterpoint to the one about whether people with designer bags are more attractive / put together.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I know I am totally being a hater right now and I apologize in advance. Today while headed out to meet a friend at the park I saw a young woman ahead of me on the escalator.

She was "dressed up" in a summer dress and cardigan. She was carrying a purse worth roughly $1800. She paired her outfit with ballet flats. There was one problem: her shoes were completly falling apart. I noticed the bow was untied on a shoe and pointed it out to her. She replied, oh these shoes are beyond repair and showed me the trim that had detached and the worn sole.

I thought, "wow, she 'cares' enough to carry a pricy purse, but not enough to wear shoes in good repair. How strange."

Her shoes were well beyond the minor scuff stage. It wasn't an intentional I am trying to be shabby chic look either.

So do you ever have elevated expectations if someone has high cost stuff on their overall appearance standards if you will?

Many women buy the fancy bag but don't bother with quality shoes. It reminds me of a Hannibal Lecter line from Silence of the Lambs. "You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well-scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste."

Old 08-18-2014, 09:18 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
I don't judge people by their apparel, well unless their apparel is a wife beater and a shaved head. Around here those are the "classy people" lol. The purse could have been a gift, a knockoff, she could have just loved the way those shoes feel, or she could just be more of a handbag person than a shoe person. You never know peoples circumstances.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
I'm not sure what you mean by elevated expectations?? Some of the wealthier people I know (I'm talking mega millionaires) dress in blue jeans and t-shirts.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
The more and more I read this thread and envision this woman in my mind, I feel like her shoes were probably just comfy shoes at the minute.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by elevated expectations?? Some of the wealthier people I know (I'm talking mega millionaires) dress in blue jeans and t-shirts.
I don't really mean the items. I mean the upkeep of them. Like if you have resources and your stuff wears out you get new stuff. Because you don't want to be seen with worn out stuff. Or maybe more accurately I think everyone, if they can afford to do so, replaces stuff when it is falling apart. And I'd assume people with more resources are even more likely than everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty