Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:11 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellalaloca View Post
Definitely. It affects your sense of identity.

I went through a name change and I felt a difference in confidence, introducing yourself in social groups etc
Do you notice any difference in how others look at you and treat you since your name change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I have an ugly, long Dutch last name and it starts with O - I have been told by men that when they see that name written, they think of an obese, unattractive woman and they are pleasantly surprised when they actually see me.

If you hear the name ANGELINA JOLIE, you automatically think of a hot woman while a name like Orlotte Piggensnout makes you internally flinch.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:26 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
If you look though your state adoptive children's listings, you will come across a veritable plethora of very badly named children. These are children who are for adoption because their parent's rights were terminated because of abuse or neglect.

Very popular in my state for girls include Nevaeh, Heaven, Angel, Krylstle, Tiffany, Britney and many faux French names.

With boys it seems to be the "ayden" parade. Plus Bible names - Jedediah, and many Jacobs and Jeremiahs. (there is nothing wrong with biblical names, and "Jeremiah" is a family name in my own extended family. But, there are more than one would expect to see.

The made up hyphenated and apostrophized names are ubiquitous and are not relegated to any one race.
D'artangue and Sha'quan are as likely to be white as black.

Naming after expensive substances and items is also popular.

Mink, Diamond, Mercedes (yes, I know it's a real name) are but a few.

Another strange thing that I found are children with names of baby boomers.
Presumably the grandparents. Which is fine if your grandmother was named a classic name like Stephen or Elizabeth.

My actual very early 60s first name? I'd pass on that. Or my DHs name. They both peaked around 1962 and won't be back for a long time.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:34 PM

31,033 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If you look though your state adoptive children's listings, you will come across a veritable plethora of very badly named children. These are children who are for adoption because their parent's rights were terminated because of abuse or neglect.

Very popular in my state for girls include Nevaeh, Heaven, Angel, Krylstle, Tiffany, Britney and many faux French names.

With boys it seems to be the "ayden" parade. Plus Bible names - Jedediah, and many Jacobs and Jeremiahs. (there is nothing wrong with biblical names, and "Jeremiah" is a family name in my own extended family. But, there are more than one would expect to see.

The made up hyphenated and apostrophized names are ubiquitous and are not relegated to any one race.
D'artangue and Sha'quan are as likely to be white as black.

Naming after expensive substances and items is also popular.

Mink, Diamond, Mercedes (yes, I know it's a real name) are but a few.

Another strange thing that I found are children with names of baby boomers.
Presumably the grandparents. Which is fine if your grandmother was named a classic name like Stephen or Elizabeth.

My actual very early 60s first name? I'd pass on that. Or my DHs name. They both peaked around 1962 and won't be back for a long time.
Car names are fine as long its something high end. No Hyunadais

Yvette Ferrari if I ever have a girl. For a boy Inigo Montoya.

I would stay away from Dick or Bertha, Muhammad, Jesus.
Attached Thumbnails
Does a person's name affect how they're perceived by others?-inigo.jpg  

Last edited by LS Jaun; 08-21-2014 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 02:35 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I swear, threads here are getting weirder by the day.
Says the guy who started the body odor thread.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:

No kidding, nothing like being judged for something you had no choice in.

Nice to see you today.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdreamz View Post
The thread isn't weird just the premise which is racial in intent. Somehow the names of Tom, Dick or Harry are ok but don't name your kid Mustaffa or Barack!

Nothing racist about it at all.

Did you read my post up thread? If anything, it's a class issue.

The many studies that have been done all seem to agree that the middle and lower classes both want to appear higher class than they actually are.

Middle class people of any race are better at doing this, than are lower and lower middle class people.

There are names that might sound pretty or strong - but they evoke an image that I would prefer to avoid.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:52 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Ah race again. As always. Neurotic country we have become.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
you are just jealous that attention is taken away from one of your 20 threads about feet, sweat or smells.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Ah race again. As always. Neurotic country we have become.
how many FELIXES do you think are on the terrorist watch list? just sayin ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty