Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 02:55 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts87 View Post
Do you think jeans are permanently on their way out as a fashion staple
In the cities, maybe. Out here in the country, never.

Utility aside, here are some reasons why:

Cowgirls:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Cowboys:
Spoiler

Spoiler

And of course, the king of country music:
Spoiler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 03:24 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
What should women be wearing to grocery shop? Walk the dog? Visit the science museum? Volunteer at the elementary school??
How about some sort of street wear? Unless of course you're OK with men wearing Speedo briefs to these same locations. (without criticism of course)

Obviously there's a big difference between stretchies and ultra sheer yoga pants. I believe the poster your responding to was referring to the latter.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 PM

347 posts, read 282,456 times
I don't know if this is picking up steam or if it's just some random observations that don't mean much, but I've seen more "normal" fitting jeans out and about. There are still a ton of skinny jeans out there, but maybe it's a positive sign that skinny jeans are slowly fading out.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:04 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danida View Post
JEANS all the way. Athletic wear outside of the gym is ridiculous. It looks like complete ****, excuse my language. I hate seeing a girl with a beautiful outfit that is ruined by some neon Nikes. Neon trainers are horrific everywhere.

In fact, athletic wear is ugly even in the gym lol. You're telling me that you need to spend $300 on that neon "special material" vest, hug yo ass yoga pants, and painful to the eye trainers? My tshirt and sweatpants cost $15 altogether.
Quote:
Oh no! Now we're judged for wearing sneakers/trainers/running shoes/tennis shoes, too?!?! Goodness, apparel critics! What should women be wearing to grocery shop? Walk the dog? Visit the science museum? Volunteer at the elementary school?? Heels?

Times when I need/should wear sneakers are one of the very reasons I wear "athletic wear" even when I'm not doing something "athletic"!! I think trainers with jeans is a frumpy look, so I opt for yoga pants (even though sometimes it feels like I'm living a lie )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
How about some sort of street wear? Unless of course you're OK with men wearing Speedo briefs to these same locations. (without criticism of course)

Obviously there's a big difference between stretchies and ultra sheer yoga pants. I believe the poster your responding to was referring to the latter.
I was specifically responding to the posters assertion that sneakers (aka "trainers") are "ridiculous" and "horrific." While not my favorite footwear, they certainly are practical.

So, to your point, what "street wear" looks good with sneakers?

And Speedo briefs? Really? I personally have a hard time equating swim wear with long pants that are loose from the knees down. Maybe you can explain your reasoning? I am not familiar with the term "stretchies" and I have never seen pair of "ultra sheer yoga pants" other than the lululemon ones (on TV/internet none the less!) that everyone was up in arms about a few years ago.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:06 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Besides, I think the obvious analogy would be men in yoga pants, no?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:10 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
Quote:
Besides, I think the obvious analogy would be men in yoga pants, no?
Actually no. That's not an analogy, that's a direct comparison, and I wasn't referring to what looks good with sneakers.

Back in the early 80's men were wearing speedos as recreation shorts. You would see them wearing speedos with t-shirts jogging, biking, walking their dogs or whatever. Thankfully the trend didn't last but a few years. There's nothing wrong wearing speedos when you're busting laps, but they're not appropriate everywhere, IMO.

When I see women wearing very sheer and/or "up the crack" yoga pants outside the gym, it always reminds me of the speedo's trend in the early 80's.

Again, I'm referring to a specific type of yoga pants, the looser fitting stretch pants I commonly see, actually seem quite practical.

Last edited by Good Red Road; 10-21-2015 at 03:48 AM..

Old 10-21-2015, 01:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Actually no. That's not an analogy, that's a direct comparison, and I wasn't referring to what looks good with sneakers.

Back in the early 80's men were wearing speedos as recreation shorts. You would see them wearing speedos with t-shirts jogging, biking, walking their dogs or whatever. Thankfully the trend didn't last but a few years. There's nothing wrong wearing speedos when you're busting laps, but they're not appropriate everywhere, IMO.

When I see women wearing very sheer and/or "up the crack" yoga pants outside the gym, it always reminds me of the speedo's trend in the early 80's.

Again, I'm referring to a specific type of yoga pants, the looser fitting stretch pants I commonly see, actually seem quite practical.
The looser fitting stretch pants are yoga pants. The sheer pants you see are tights, and not meant to actually be worn as pants.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:27 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
What the heck are "trainers"??
I have canvas boat shoes that I wear when fishing (wading in leather boots is stupid).
But "trainers"??
I have no idea what they are, but I don't think I want any!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
What the heck are "trainers"??
I have canvas boat shoes that I wear when fishing (wading in leather boots is stupid).
But "trainers"??
I have no idea what they are, but I don't think I want any!
athletic shoes, tennis shoes, running shoes, gym shoes, sneakers... Whatever you want to call them.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Honestly, I saw this thread title and did a double take. I thought it said, "Jesus vs. Athleisure."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty