Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times

Advertisements

I think that wearing athletic attire as regular wear is a trend that can't die out soon enough. Save it for the gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM

706 posts, read 1,179,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not cute on everyone.
Yoga pants stretched so much that you see underwear color... not cute.
Yoga pants that show every roll and bulge... not cute.
Flesh colored yoga pants... not cute.

Unless you are a teen or in shape, yoga pants should only be worn for yoga.

Leggings can be just as bad.
I agree that not everyone needs to wear them. You do have to have a good shape in order for them to look good.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Jeans can be worn as part of a fashionable pulled-together outfit, whereas yoga pants generally always look casual. Not necessarily sloppy, but definitely dressed down.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I personally despise the word "athleisure" and hope that goes away quickly.

I don't believe jeans will ever be out.
Agreed. My old French teacher told me many years ago that denim jeans were hardly ever worn there, or in many other parts of Europe. According to her, European citizens wore pants mostly. I don't know if that is true anymore. As for America, I don't think they will go away soon. They are definitely a wardrobe staple.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Jeans make me sweat like a pig. On moving to Atlanta from NJ, my perception tells me that its too hot for jeans every season outside winter. I love the way it fits, but too darn uncomfortable most of the year.

I just dont understand how people live on shorts year round in places like Houston, Miami, LA, and phoenix. It must be very boring.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:45 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Adi, you are in ATL now?? Congratulations!

I'm with batcat, this can't die soon enough. Jeans are forever

BC this is for you:

Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
I don't think jeans are going anywhere; at least they aren't if I have any say in the matter!

Personally, I hate the trend of wearing athletic clothing when you aren't working out. Given the fact that most people are overweight it irks me even more. I mean, seriously, who are these people kidding? We all know they've never seen the inside of a gym... Wearing that stuff in your own home or at a gym is one thing, but personally, I don't wear athletic clothes outside of that. I feel like I'm wearing pajamas when I'm in yoga pants. I don't dress that way even to go to the grocery store, but then again, I tend to dress a little more formal, I guess.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM

347 posts, read 282,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I don't think jeans are going anywhere; at least they aren't if I have any say in the matter!

Personally, I hate the trend of wearing athletic clothing when you aren't working out. Given the fact that most people are overweight it irks me even more. I mean, seriously, who are these people kidding? We all know they've never seen the inside of a gym... Wearing that stuff in your own home or at a gym is one thing, but personally, I don't wear athletic clothes outside of that. I feel like I'm wearing pajamas when I'm in yoga pants. I don't dress that way even to go to the grocery store, but then again, I tend to dress a little more formal, I guess.
I definitely agree with you. In my humble opinion, wearing "athleisure" (that really is a stupid term) just looks sloppy, even if people try to dress it up. It still comes off as a bit slobbish to me. This might be nothing more than wishful thinking on my part, but I tend to think that 10-15 years from now we'll look back on this trend and shake our heads in embarrassment. It kind of reminds me of the aerobic wear trend of the 80's. The denim industry took a bit of a hit during that time, but thankfully people snapped out of it. When it comes down to it, people can and should wear what they want regardless of what I or others think, but it really stinks that jeans are taking a hit.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Do you feel the same way about men who wear basketball shorts or athletic pants out in public? Or is it just woman who are held to a higher standard when it comes to the clothes they should be wearing?

I always hear people say that women should only wear yoga pants while doing yoga, but I never hear anything about the clothing men wear. Should men only be allowed to wear basketball shorts while playing basketball? Same with basketball shoes. If they're not on the court, then why are they wearing them? And lets not leave tennis shoes out of this. Should those only be worn while playing tennis?

But no, you'll never hear any complaints about men who dress down. Its only women who need to be put together and ascetically pleasing every second of the day they're in public.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:17 PM

347 posts, read 282,456 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do you feel the same way about men who wear basketball shorts or athletic pants out in public? Or is it just woman who are held to a higher standard when it comes to the clothes they should be wearing?

I always hear people say that women should only wear yoga pants while doing yoga, but I never hear anything about the clothing men wear. Should men only be allowed to wear basketball shorts while playing basketball? Same with basketball shoes. If they're not on the court, then why are they wearing them? And lets not leave tennis shoes out of this. Should those only be worn while playing tennis?

But no, you'll never hear any complaints about men who dress down. Its only women who need to be put together and ascetically pleasing every second of the day they're in public.

I recognize you're well within your rights to tell me off as your question wasn't directed at me, but you bring up an important point, and I appreciate you sharing it. I respect where you're coming from because yes, a double standard does indeed exist, and obviously that's not a good thing. All people should wear what they're into regardless of societal expectations. I will say that on my part, I feel the same way about guys wearing gym shorts or athletic pants in public as I do women wearing yoga pants. I'm not a fan of any of it because to me it looks sloppy. Just my humble opinion, but I think there is a line between casual and sloppy and wearing athletic wear in public, regardless of gender, crosses that line. I originally posted on this specific trend (that happens to be going on more in women's fashion than in men's at the moment) because it's the current trend, and certainly not to play up any double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty