Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Black panty hose doesn't even remotely match any black persons skin tone. When i was a kid i asked my parents why "flesh toned" bandaids don't even remotely match my skin tone.

Our society makes the de facto skin tone "beige" which is not inclusive.

Yes, i was generalizing about Black people black hose. It is hard for anyone to match any of those colors. I certainly don't fit into White. Moot point i suppose since I haven't seen anyone over 35 wearing hose other that black in the last 20 yrs. Colors like navy blue are also made.

You are correct, beige is not at all inclusive. Not for me; you or others outside the spectrum. (I haven't used spectrum outside of the word Autism for a while. It felt nice.)

I don't remember any thing called "flesh toned" bandages. I DO remember the last time I saw a Black woman wearing a "pale skinned" colored bandage and it made quite an impression on me.

For any darker skin toned people wanting to bring attention to the issue, wear light bandages more often. To see an aesthetically beautiful person w a bandage that does not quite "fit" is very jarring to the eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:08 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Troll post.
Meaning? Going by the link jade408 has posted looks like I was onto something.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Never apologize for your skin pigment; no matter what it is. You should never feel as if you can't identify a person in a crowd by ethnicity, skin color, hair color/style. What's wrong with pointing out the tall white guy with long black hair or the short bald black guy? Yeah, you're holding their seats for them but do you know their names? Is it less than accurate? Maybe you should include shirt style/color. I know a few short bald black guys.
Nobody's trying to get anyone to apologize for their skin pigment. What I pointed out, and what the OP seems to be objecting to, is that it would be offensive to use the phrase "skin tone" as though it is a singular and generally acceptable description of a color because the skin of white people is the normal or standard color of skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Use of the word 'Oriental' use to be acceptable. Maybe people have no idea of what the word oriental means. If one heads east of the Greenwich time like one travels in an oriental direction. If one heads west one is traveling in an occidental direction. Ergo...the end of the road was known as the Orient and anything having to do with the region is Oriental. That would include Japan down to Indonesia.
I find the use of the word "Asian" to describe people of Asia along the Pacific coast to be very vague. Do Japanese people want to be lumped in with all Asians? Does that include Russians as well? Are people in Ceylon and India Asians?
Let me get this straight. Are you claiming that "Oriental" would be a more descriptive or specific term for people from Japan, China, Asia, Indonesia, or the Phillipines than "Asian"? Why would that be?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Let me get this straight. Are you claiming that "Oriental" would be a more descriptive or specific term for people from Japan, China, Asia, Indonesia, or the Phillipines than "Asian"? Why would that be?
I don't think Oriental is particularly descriptive but what I don't understand is how did it become offensive?

Old 09-05-2014, 10:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't think Oriental is particularly descriptive but what I don't understand is how did it become offensive?
It describes things, not people.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,938 times
Skin tone is the color, or hue, of our skin. It describes the color complexion of skin.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 AM

555 posts, read 804,387 times
OP, if you want to know more about skin tone, get yourself to a well-stocked makeup counter at the department store, or go to Sephora or Mac or what have you. Check out the gazillion different bottles of foundation. They are made in many different shades because everyone has a different (wait for it) skin tone.

Even white folks.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:08 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You can say it all you like.

Most companies go with "very light, light, beige, medium beige, light brown, brown, dark brown, black" or similar.

Makes more sense.
Don't forget coffee, off black and jet black.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I always wondered about that too. Is there no such place as the Orient (which is where it came from) anymore?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 AM

And what shall we do with the Orient Express?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty