Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times

Advertisements

Venting time!

For Christmas, my mother-in-law got me two pairs of nice pants. Both were from the same company and the same cut size 4. One fits perfectly, the other is waaay small. I swear, there's no way that it's a 4.

This is why I shop in the men's department. I know that if the pants say 26 x (whatever) inches, the waist is 26 inches and will fit.

Ugh, it's just frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 PM

88 posts, read 334,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Venting time!

For Christmas, my mother-in-law got me two pairs of nice pants. Both were from the same company and the same cut size 4. One fits perfectly, the other is waaay small. I swear, there's no way that it's a 4.

This is why I shop in the men's department. I know that if the pants say 26 x (whatever) inches, the waist is 26 inches and will fit.

Me too! I hate wearing clothes period. If it was not for Adam and Eve, we would free as a bird. But we wear clothes because we do not want to blind the human race, and animals.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,894 times
Quote:
Venting time!

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I won't wear men's jeans/pants. They just aren't shaped or designed like women's jeans/pants. I don't like my jeans/pants too baggy. I guess that's just me.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:35 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,071 times
I wonder why there are such vast differences in womens clothing sizes (from manufacturer to manufacturer) as opposed to men's clothing sizes? I've always noticed that but I never gave it much thought. I have a mental sizing chart in my head so I think I'm good for now. For example, I know I'm 2 sizes larger at the GAP/OLD NAVY than I am at most other stores.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I wonder why there are such vast differences in womens clothing sizes (from manufacturer to manufacturer) as opposed to men's clothing sizes? I've always noticed that but I never gave it much thought. I have a mental sizing chart in my head so I think I'm good for now. For example, I know I'm 2 sizes larger at the GAP/OLD NAVY than I am at most other stores.
I do the same thing. I'm about 2 sizes larger at a GAP store too or any mall department store. It's strange isn't it? I never could understand why not all size 7-8's aren't same. So, it's a good idea to try stuff on first before buying them.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:55 PM

In reality, it's not just pants. Shirts are the same way. I can never find a shirt that looks cute or trendy that will fit.

Women come in all different sizes, but each manufacturer and designer has their own body type they try to fit. Some have tiny waists, huge boobs (yes, I said it) - while some might have larger waists and no boobs.

Just because I have a small waist doesn't mean I have no cleavage. It's too frustrating to find a top that will cover the "girls" and fit my waist right. Usually, if it covers the girls, there's too much fabric over my waist (wind?). If it fits my waist right, I'm either popping out or super-squeezed.

Pants are a problem not just for the waist issue. Some people have tiny waists and huge bottoms. Some people have large waists and small bottoms. I'm stuck with small waist and NO bottom. Seriously. Completely flat. It's impossible to find anything to fit my lack of booty.

My mother has a harder time than me. She usually buys men's clothing - but still has a hard time finding them to fit. Next time you're shopping with a guy, try finding a 28 x 36 pair of pants. That's right, 28 inch waist but a 36 inch inseam.

We found a tall woman store, but they're around $150/pair of jeans.

I sort of envy women who have the "right shape" for mainstream clothing. I hate having to buy things and alter them - or not buying something because I'm too lazy to alter it.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 PM

98 posts, read 373,873 times
Everyone has a size problem. I'm petite. I can very well blend in with 7-8th graders. But I guess I fit into the mainstream... aside from the occasional shirt with sleeves that run all the way down to my calves

Here's a thought (just for good measure, I don't actually know if you've cheked)... ever considered that the other pants from the same company were for petites?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
I'm stuck with small waist and NO bottom. Seriously. Completely flat. It's impossible to find anything to fit my lack of booty.

My mother has a harder time than me. She usually buys men's clothing - but still has a hard time finding them to fit. Next time you're shopping with a guy, try finding a 28 x 36 pair of pants. That's right, 28 inch waist but a 36 inch inseam.

We found a tall woman store, but they're around $150/pair of jeans.
Yikes, that *is* tough.
I don't have much of a booty, either, and I am long-legged, but not that long.
My entire family has flat rear ends. Even my usually oblivious husband has noticed it.
Sir Mix-A-Lot would not care for us, I suppose.
I've had some luck with Eddie Bauer's size 4--but then I am 53 years old and have never been all that trendy with the clothes scene.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:31 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,040 times
Cosign with hating women's clothes! The vanity sizing in the US is BEYOND crazy. I've weighed exactly the same for the past 12-13 years and my size has gone from a 6 to a 4to a 2 and now to a ZERO. I don't know who they think they're fooling with vanity sizing and what the hell they think those of us who are not overweight are supposed to wear! Last night I was on the Armani Exchange website checking out sales and found a pair of cute pants. I check the size chart and their size zero was cut to a 29 inch waist! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? A size TEN used to be cut to a 24-inch waist, and now a ZERO is cut 5 inches larger than that? My mom's old clothes fit me like a glove and they're mostly 8-10s. It makes me loathe clothes shopping, it really does. Something that should be fun turns into a nightmare.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper doll View Post
Everyone has a size problem. I'm petite. I can very well blend in with 7-8th graders. But I guess I fit into the mainstream... aside from the occasional shirt with sleeves that run all the way down to my calves

Here's a thought (just for good measure, I don't actually know if you've cheked)... ever considered that the other pants from the same company were for petites?
They're both petite, actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty