Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times

Advertisements

I've heard they give a much closer shave, in fact they are commonly called the closest shave available. But, obviously it seems a little scary to use a blade like that. Has anyone here tried it on themselves and loved it? hated it? Anyone nearly kill themselves when first trying them? They are pretty pricey, but they say they will last a lifetime. Any tips welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 AM

29,501 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I've heard they give a much closer shave, in fact they are commonly called the closest shave available. But, obviously it seems a little scary to use a blade like that. Has anyone here tried it on themselves and loved it? hated it? Anyone nearly kill themselves when first trying them? They are pretty pricey, but they say they will last a lifetime. Any tips welcome.
I think what you have heard is pretty much correct. Although, it does take a learning curve on getting that super close shave without beheading yourself. I've read they actually make starter blades that are ground on different angles to help aid in learning.
Now myself I've just recently (a little over a month) have started "wet" shaving using a double edged safety razor. Now I've always hated shaving and would put it off but since I've started using the DE razor I now look forward to shaving. Both , straight or safety razor shaving has created a whole subculture of artisian soaps, creams, etc. Last night I shaved with a 1960's Gillette Tech safety razor using sandlewood shave cream from Taylor of Old Bond St. The shave before that was with a Gillette razor from the 1920's. Oh and the shave is just sublime, I've never in my 45 years have had a better shave than when I switched to this style of shaving. It is a slippery slope of an addiction though.. there are so many products and different razors (new or vintage) available one can get out of hand.

Check this site out, it has all the info you will need :
Badger & Blade

Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Too dangerous even for my surgical hands. I'll end up slicing my ear or nose off.

I'll use to cut baby carrots.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 AM

308 posts, read 506,549 times
Try a double edged safety razor instead. I have the one by Merkur (sp?)

Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
nope, too dangerous , a regular disposable triple blade safety razor works fine, I get a nice close shave.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
I tried out Double-Edges for over a yr some time ago, but I could never get the right angle in certain spots below my jawline and right near my adam's apple. Well I could do my adam's apple but i ended up a bleeding mess. I've since gone back to my trusty Mach 3.

I wouldn't trust my hand skills (or sharpening skills) to a straight edge! I can't imagine how many bloody shaving sessions you'd need before you perfected your craft. At least with hara-kiri if you mess up there's a guy to cut off your head to put you out of your misery! lol

Old 09-23-2014, 05:18 PM

156 posts, read 137,681 times
I collect them....the older and the better shape all the better. Started with my great grampa's...worked up from there. I tried one a few times and know how to strop one to shaving hair whittling sharp. Don't use any of my good ones though. Some are 1800's and new in the box.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:02 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,517,847 times
Having it done by a professional barber feels wonderful, both during and after, and every man should do this at least once.

Shaving myself with a straight razor, though? Not so much!

I'm a safety razor guy, but learned a lot by watching how the barbers handled the straight razor. It's usually held at a nearly perpendicular angle to the area being shaved, and not, as you'd expect, at an extremely low angle as you see in a disposable multi-bladed razor. By adopting the same basic method with my safety razor, I virtually eliminated shaving cuts from my morning ablutions.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
I've been using my double edge safety Merkur for over a year now and love it. I'm never going back to the Fusion or other razors. This coulles with the Art of Shaving supplies and a fine badger hair brush.

It takes a little longer by a minute or two and at first it takes some learning since you have a much sharper and more open blade but it's so worth it. Start with a safety razor then if you want to upgrade go straight. I'll leave that for the barbers, the safety gives you a good balance of closeness and speed in the morning.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 PM

194 posts, read 252,264 times
They only work in the hands of the professionals

I think the titanium blades are the best Quattro Titanium Razor with Blades | Wilkinson Sword UK for Men
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty