Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,363,100 times

Advertisements

handsome - is someone you can't have
cute- is someone that can't have you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 09:36 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,171,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
handsome - is someone you can't have
cute- is someone that can't have you
I don't understand. What are you trying to say ?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:24 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,235 times
I actually never use the words cute or handsome. I use the term good looking. That tends to cover every aspect of the beauty spectrum, cute, handsome, rugged, pretty, beautiful etc. I also generally only judge a face as good looking. Sometimes the man as a whole but I'm definitely very face oriented.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:47 AM

543 posts, read 940,634 times
Handsome: she will cheat on the cute guy for this. At any stage of her life, at any time of the day. Women are genetically programmed to get wet when they see muscles. When was the last time you saw a woman say she finds someone's eyes attractive, or their face or their style?

Cute: puppies,kittens. You are screwed. Nature was cruel to you. The best you can do is become adept at success.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:53 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,396,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I actually never use the words cute or handsome. I use the term good looking. That tends to cover every aspect of the beauty spectrum, cute, handsome, rugged, pretty, beautiful etc. I also generally only judge a face as good looking. Sometimes the man as a whole but I'm definitely very face oriented.
The best term imo is hot.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Hot also works but I generally use that term if I'm referring to the complete package rather than just the face.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:50 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,816,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Very simple:
Handsome: sophisticated, attractive and is a gentleman. Also has to do how a person carries and presents himself
Cute: reserved for kids and baby animals. A juvenile word I associate with Middle School when kids are speaking about crushes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Yeah, that is a perfect fit there. A more old-fashioned type of guy in his appearance, and how he seems to carry himself. I kinda think back to how men looked, maybe in the 50s-where it was more handsome, than the pretty boys we see alot.
Elnina's got it.

Yes, a man can be extremely attractive physically, but if he doesn't possess a certain dignity about him, if he isn't a gentleman, and if he doesn't treat people respectfully, then he isn't "handsome."

And by that, I don't mean he has to dress in tailored suits and highly polished shoes (though that SURE is nice to see occasionally). A man can be dignified and handsome in a clean, well-fitting pair of jeans and nice shirt and casual but decent-looking shoes. Or in nothing at all.

I agree about how men looked in the 50s and 60s. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I enjoy the series Mad Men. It's such a visual treat to look at those men. Men who look like men and not (overgrown) 12-year-old boys constantly.

Here are some men who are/were not only very good-looking, but who also have those essential qualities that make them "handsome" :

From the 1950s/60s, when they were in their prime (30s and 40s):
Gregory Peck
Marlon Brando
James Garner
Paul Newman
Sean Connery
Rock Hudson
Gene Kelly

Today:
Greg Kinnear (agreed)
George Clooney
Brad Pitt
Christian Bale
Sanjay Gupta
Denzel Washington
Gerard Butler
Nathan Fillion
Hugh Jackman
Jon Hamm
Charles Barkley
Prince Harry (oh, my!)
President Obama

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 09-28-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Hot is a terrible terrible word. God, it is cheap and vulgar. And usually people without an eduction use it a lot.
I also loath the terms boyfriend/girlfriend. I'll get married just so no one refers to us as such. Husband/wife is far more ethereal and sensual.

Edit: I didn't mean to say you are uneducated, to the person who said she uses the word hot. Generally I notice a lot of idiots go "Oh, he's hot" and chances are they are dumb morons.

Last edited by rishi85; 09-28-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 12:56 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,816,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Hot is a terrible terrible word. God, it is cheap and vulgar. And usually people without an eduction use it a lot.
I also loath the terms boyfriend/girlfriend. I'll get married just so no one refers to us as such. Husband/wife is far more ethereal and sensual.
I SO agree with you!

Old 09-28-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I SO agree with you!
If you don't mind me asking.....are you an older woman? I am 28 and I am obsessed with older ladies. Anyone who thinks they loose their sex drive after a certain age is an idiot. Almost all of them love to read and are quote rich. I love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty