Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:30 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times

Advertisements

For a starter machine, a Brother would be fine. It will probably last you quite a while. Take some sewing lessons if they are available so that you don't do something stupid and screw up the tension by pushing/pulling the fabric through the feed. One of the most important things you can do to increase the longevity of your machine is to keep it covered when not in use...dust kills.

Call around to the local sewing machine repair places that are not solely representing one brand, and ask. They know which machines are worth what. My repair place had good things to say about Brothers and I know they are used at a local sewing school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 12:12 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,408,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post

There is a sewing center near me, but the people who work there aren't friendly including the owner and I hear that their prices are really high.
LOL. Sounds exactly like this place my wife likes to go to. Went in there with her a few times and the owner and other ladies who work there just came across of absolutely persnickity, rude, prudish, etc. They came across like they were wives of very very wealthy husbands and took up sewing and sewing business as something to do. That and they were dedicated distributors of Bernina brand machines that are EXPENSIVE!!!

Definitely take some classes somewhere and also look into publications that could help expand your knowledge of sewing and design. My wife has a subscription to Burda (or Burda Style) magazine and LOVES it. She looks forward to that magazine being delivered like I look forward to computer equipment being delivered from Amazon.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:23 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
LOL. Sounds exactly like this place my wife likes to go to. Went in there with her a few times and the owner and other ladies who work there just came across of absolutely persnickity, rude, prudish, etc. They came across like they were wives of very very wealthy husbands and took up sewing and sewing business as something to do. That and they were dedicated distributors of Bernina brand machines that are EXPENSIVE!!!

Yeah I'm not going any where near that store. I absolutely cannot stand people like that. I'm definitely take some classes somewhere and also look into publications that could help expand your knowledge of sewing and design. My wife has a subscription to Burda (or Burda Style) magazine and LOVES it. She looks forward to that magazine being delivered like I look forward to computer equipment being delivered from Amazon.
I will definitely be taking classes. I like Burda too! I'm going to get that Brother Project Runway sewing machine you mentioned, theres a quilt store where I live that has it.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,353 times
I'm not much of a seamstress but I have one of the Brother Project Runway sewing machines and it has served me well for over 5 years now. I think it is a great machine for someone just starting out.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:03 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,215,929 times
A Brother or a White would be good starter machines. I bought my White for $99 and it's a good, sturdy machine.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Automatic buttonholer –Great thing to have and especially if you have more than one selection, but you can easily hand sew a button hole -- it's just very time consuming.

Good light – I agree with the light, but you can get a good adjustable lamp, too.

Built-in needle threader – I never use mine. I wet the end of the cut thread, place it between my two pointer fingers with just a tiniest tip sticking out from the top, center my fingers with the needle and push feed it through. Rarely do I miss.

Adjustable needle feature – Very handy

Up/down needle feature – I find it an absolute necessity, but I also make huge quilts with REALLY long seams. Helps with topstitching, so if you stop to pull a pin the needle doesn't jump to the side. But I didn't grow up with it, and I topstitched then, too... so maybe I'm used to it and lost that skill.

Adjustable presser foot pressure – Very handy.

Adjustable feed dog height –I've never seen one that's adjustable.... merely up or down.

Does your Joanns have a sewing center there? Some do and some don't. And have you looked for another sewing center maybe out of your area that you can get to? (We call those ROAD TRIPS! And there's usually breakfast out and thrift stores and big fun day planned)

We have several stores here that sell machines from all sorts of places and most of them sell all price points. But one of the quilting stores out here does have attitude problems.

All machines have to get serviced at some point, so you do need to find a good place to take it...

Old 10-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
You might take a look at Costco, if they have an inexpensive machine it will be one of the better ones. If you are not spending 10-20 hours a week on projects, the less expensive machines will actually do OK, but as mentioned before you might get a good deal on a great quality used machine that's been well maintained. Not unlike I-phones, you might be surprised at how many people have to buy the latest sewing machine. Thankfully not my wife, but her $7,000 Bernina is now 7 years old so the next one can't be far off.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:40 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,242 times
I wish I had a Costco where I live! I would rather have a new one. I found an authorized dealer for the sewing machine that I want, Ill be getting it next week.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I'm not much of a seamstress but I have one of the Brother Project Runway sewing machines and it has served me well for over 5 years now. I think it is a great machine for someone just starting out.

Try to get the better Project Runway machine, the one with the larger sewing bed that holds the fabrics more steady and flat. I didn't know what your budget was when I responded earlier about getting a used higher end machine. I still have my Bernina 930 and a few others, but they were gifts. Buying sewing machines for some of us is like men who buy boats. We keep trading up to get more bells & whistles. But now I'm done; have my favorite Pfaff and won't ever need or want another machine. You should be fine with the Runway machine, just make sure you can get service somewhere if you need it, and accessories like special feet and upgrades if offered. Now, if you ever get into machine embroidery, that's a whole different kind of obsession. Have fun !

Old 10-03-2014, 09:22 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Automatic buttonholer –Great thing to have and especially if you have more than one selection, but you can easily hand sew a button hole -- it's just very time consuming.

Good light – I agree with the light, but you can get a good adjustable lamp, too.

Built-in needle threader – I never use mine. I wet the end of the cut thread, place it between my two pointer fingers with just a tiniest tip sticking out from the top, center my fingers with the needle and push feed it through. Rarely do I miss.

Adjustable needle feature – Very handy

Up/down needle feature – I find it an absolute necessity, but I also make huge quilts with REALLY long seams. Helps with topstitching, so if you stop to pull a pin the needle doesn't jump to the side. But I didn't grow up with it, and I topstitched then, too... so maybe I'm used to it and lost that skill.

Adjustable presser foot pressure – Very handy.

Adjustable feed dog height –I've never seen one that's adjustable.... merely up or down.
^I agree with everything here. I thread my needle the same way, but I have to, sometimes, enlist the help of a magnifying glass.

Quote:
Does your Joanns have a sewing center there? Some do and some don't. And have you looked for another sewing center maybe out of your area that you can get to? (We call those ROAD TRIPS! And there's usually breakfast out and thrift stores and big fun day planned)
Be careful at Joann's. Although they do carry the less expensive brands, the larger stores often have a Viking/Husqvarna section with salespeople. They are great machines but have a heftier price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty