Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:29 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,203 times

Advertisements

No fur for me. Eating meat is one thing. Animals do it, and while it's not pretty, there's no malice, just eating to live. But killing them just for fur alone is unnecessary killing, when faux fur can look just as fine, and there's no slaughter involved, purely for vanity.

Same with cutting a doberman's ears and tail. Cruel imo, and just doing it for vanity. And it's not pretty, since the vet just holds the puppies up, and cuts the tail off. No sedation, or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I just think furs look ridiculous. Whether they're fake or not, they just look over-the-top and make the wearer look like a poser.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
It's great on animals! I have no problem using the fur as long as you utilize the whole animal, for example using the meat for food, and then the fur as well, but to kill anything for vanity, including makeup is morally wrong to me.

Last edited by Eazine; 10-01-2014 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 01:40 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Wow, I am very happy to see so many evolved, enlightened and compassionate posters on this subject.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:56 PM

543 posts, read 943,410 times
Annie...I love to study society. I love noticing and observing stuff. What I notice among Western women(and white women only with a few occasional Asians thrown in) is a change in ideals and beliefs. I observe so many girls are vegetarian on campuses nowadays. Yoga, meditation and all these new age practices are huge. And whilst championing for animal rights was always an agenda lately it is so out in the open for everyone to see.
So I kinda expected these answers.

Another cultural thing I notice is a lot of women were smokers back in the 60s/70s. Jackie Kennedy would finish a pack with one book. Now it's much lesser.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:55 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
I don't have a problem with leather or fur when the meat is also used (for instance, cow, buffalo, rabbit). I don't like the living conditions of animals who are slaughtered for fur alone, though, so I wouldn't purchase clothing made from those types of fur.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
You are so right rishi, definitely a higher Consciousness

Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
PETA would probably hate my Rennie Friends and I but.............oh well!

For day to day in non polar winters, I'm more for layered like field jackets and wooly pulleys.

But for Renaissance Festivals, you'll find me in coyote and buffalo fur and I am trying to find someone to make me some buckskins.
coyote and buffalo furs ????

id like to see some pics of them..!

don't worry about the peta fanatics- what they think

years ago they plastered "real death for real animals" stickers all over my meat department when I worked at a grocery store

but they also put little needles in the meat and burger and two kids nearly choked to death!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I have never worn nor would I ever wear fur. However, if I chose to wear it, and were approached by a PETA- like harpy or vandal, I would look her directly in the eyes and say, "It doesn't bother me, and I'm very sorry that it bothers you."
After my mom died, I inherited her furs. I don't wear the coats, but I did wear a fox hat one day when it was 40 below.
I was at the corner store when a group of school children approached me, maybe 9 or 10 years old.
"Lady, is that real fur? It had better not be real fur!"
Good. I was proud of them.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
My mom used to love Minsk fur and then suddenly she had a massive change of heart. Literally it happened over a course of one month but I found her crying on a few occasions because she used to love them so much once upon a time. She discarded them....didn't give them away, burned them. And they were very expensive. Like a collection you cherish!

I have also seen other women think it is unethical. Where do you stand on this topic? A very expensive fur coat can be very attractive and soothing in the winters, but it is made from mink, rabbit, seal and sometimes even dogs. Is it a sensitive issue or are PETA advocates extreme?
I think fur looks great on animals.

I think we have too many options besides fur to kill animals just for their fur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty